Adoption Advice Needed

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Tue May 23, 2023 12:26 am

I didn’t see the third piggy. The humane society is closed Mondays. They have a high turnover, so I don’t think she’ll be there long. She’s young and cute, so someone will adopt her.

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Tue May 23, 2023 11:56 am

This morning I cleaned the cage, got fresh food and water, and held them both. Rosemary had some blood on the side of her neck. I sent a text to the foster and let her know my opinion that these two don’t actually like each other’s company. They stay on opposite sides of the cage from each other. When one sees the other she moves away. I would think in a stressful situation like a new home, they would stay closer for safety.

I also asked if they were vetted and treated for mites when they came in because they’re scratching and biting a lot. The rescue claims the animals are vetted, but wouldn’t a vet have done a nail trim?

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Tue May 23, 2023 12:09 pm

but wouldn’t a vet have done a nail trim?

Mine only do it when I ask. Maybe girls are just scared being in new home? Do you have 2 of everything? I would watch closely. If concerned perhaps put a barrier in cage to separate them then when settled try to pair them again. Good luck!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue May 23, 2023 12:13 pm

There is an awful lot to know about guinea pigs!

I suspect Nutmeg will acclimate to her protected environment and Rosemary may calm down. And perhaps some through-the-bars bonding? At least one can hope!

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Tue May 23, 2023 12:24 pm

I was going to suggest adopting the sisters so they wouldn't be separated. Looks like maybe they need to be separated. We adopted a pair of sisters who got along wonderfully all their lives. I'm happy they got to stay together. However earlier we adopted another rescue pig who had been separated from her sister by the foster because the sister attacked her.

I know you'll keep us updated.

We were trying to get one of our pigs accustomed to a new pig. Things weren't going well. We separated them with a grid & put hay on either side of it so to get the hay they had to get closer to each other. It took a number of days for this to pay off.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Tue May 23, 2023 12:54 pm

We got sisters Jill, Jaffa and Jupiter not sure if one or both attacked poor Jaffa but this is what we woke up too. Still makes me cry! Poor little sweet pea! To think so much happened in 8 hours of sleep.So females and sisters have their squabbles. Rest assured we took Jaffa away from her sisters!

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Tue May 23, 2023 1:28 pm

You’re right, Lynx, there is a lot to know.

These two are much more relaxed with the barrier. Nutmeg is actually sprawled out in the open taking a nap. But if one pig puts a nose through the bars, the other either bites or flinches and then runs. There’s no sniffing.

It may be that Rosemary is on the defensive when she attacks. Nutmeg complains and chatters, then they rumble and we have a brawl. Same thing if one sees the other one eating hay. From the start I had two of everything on opposite sides of the cage and with hay down the middle. Rosemary burrows and hides when she eats. She was so thirsty last night, I think she was afraid to come out and drink.

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Tue May 23, 2023 1:29 pm

Daisymay, this is what I’m trying to avoid. I hope Jaffa is going to be okay.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Tue May 23, 2023 10:28 pm

Daisymay, this is what I’m trying to avoid. I hope Jaffa is going to be okay

Thank-you ItsaZoo but Jaffa lived to nearly 6 years and passed in 2019. I think sister Jupiter was the attacker she passed in 2017. Jaffa and Jill lived happily for 2 years. Those sores healed very quickly.

Hope girls get along real soon. Try introducing in neutral terrority and have lots of escape routes and food. As last resort some people bathe the piggies together to get rid of scent. https://www.guinealynx.info/introductions.html

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Tue May 23, 2023 11:15 pm

My mistake, Daisymay. I’m not concentrating very well today. I thought that was a recent picture and it kind of shook me.

Both of these girls got a bath yesterday when they arrived. I used fragrance-free sensitive skin oatmeal shampoo for pets and we lathered, rinsed, and repeated.

These two are opposites. Nutmeg wants some fun and action, Rosemary wants to chill in a hidey, or burrow under blankets. Nutmeg starts pestering and chattering, Rosemary gets rumbling and we have brawl.

I texted the foster about my concerns and told her I had to put a grid between them to prevent injury. She was so understanding and even apologized which was not necessary.

She also noticed Rosemary chasing and showing aggression but not at this level. So she and her supervisor discussed splitting them. I didn’t want to do that because they’d have to be reintroduced and I don’t want to cause problems for the rescue. Nutmeg is a little character who would be a lot of fun. She should have a buddy who’s active so they can get into trouble together. Rosemary just wants to be left alone. She would probably be happy as a solo pig, or paired up with someone who respects her space.

As for me, I think I’ll keep looking for the right fit.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Tue May 23, 2023 11:24 pm

Give them time to settle in. Maybe the cozmos is telling you about the 3rd piggy? Just a thought. Do you have siblings? If yes bet you're all different and have squabbles. Do the barrier intro's and give them lap time together.

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Tue May 23, 2023 11:58 pm

Thanks for the pep talk. I don’t have siblings, I was an only child, so I never learned about sibling rivalry. I always tell people I have no social skills because I was raised with a pack of dogs. It’s true. My parents raised dogs. Dad raised and trained retrievers, mom raised poodles. Every childhood picture I have there’s an animal in it somewhere.

I’ve been doing lap time, they each had a turn foraging for veggies in the snuffle mat, Nutmeg has a treat ball with pellets, (Rosemary is not a fan of pellets), and they’ve each had some fresh grass.