Adoption Advice Needed

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Sun May 21, 2023 12:44 am

I would love some advice and opinions from all you experienced piggie people.

I have an appointment Monday to look at two guinea pig sisters who are in foster care through a local rescue. The pigs are about 4 months old, the result of an unplanned litter. The parents were from a pet shop and were supposedly the same gender. The foster has had lots of guinea pigs and got these about a month ago. She said they were very skittish at first and never came out in the open, she wasn’t sure they would make it. Now one takes food from her hand, then the other one tries to take the food from her sister.

She lives about 1-1/2 hours from me, so we’re meeting halfway at a Petsmart. This is the same rescue organization we got our dog from, and they are very conscientious and careful with adoptions.

At the same time, a single female 6 months old showed up at a humane society about 1-1/4 hours from me. I know nothing about her except she couldn’t stay where she was, so she is looking for a new home. It sounds like she was removed from the home, otherwise they would probably mention an owner surrender.

I’ve only owned one piggy at a time. When I think of two youngsters I’m kind of intimidated. It’s not easy running around comparing the two adoption options since they’re in different directions.

If it were your choice and the sisters seemed healthy, would you just go for it? Or would you check out the single female as well, and then get back to the foster?

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Sun May 21, 2023 4:57 am

No good asking me as I would take all 3. I would put the single female enclosure next to the sisters. As long as you can afford all 3 and have the room go for it! You can put money away for a vet fund. That's my advice. Go for it! Belo0ng to GL you're not alone!

I never wanted the boys as I shuddered with the thought of boys and 8 piggies but so far I have not regretted it and I live alone! Only you know what your heart can cope with after losing Gidget. The sisters would keep each other company and I hate the thought of 3rd piggy being alone. Sounds silly but ask Gidget.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun May 21, 2023 9:32 am

Traditionally, we've recommended having more than one. That said, are the two sisters more or less the same size? (one of the few ways of hopefully comparing health - I think of a significantly undersized guinea pig and possible health issues).

I am sure you would win over the heart of the more reticent guinea pig, talking about how she could be an instagram star ;-)

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sun May 21, 2023 10:41 am

Three's no more work than two -- take 'em all!

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Sun May 21, 2023 11:50 am

You all have so much more experience than I do, especially having multiple piggies and three would be no problem for you.

I don’t have a good space for a second cage. I only have one cage and it’s a little more than 8 sq feet, so I’m limited to one or two piggies.

Looking for a difference in size is a good point. Not only with health issues, but also if there’s any bullying where one is keeping the other from the food. I don’t need the stress of evil twins. :)

I not sure what to expect with the Petsmart meeting. I guess it depends on how she transports them. I want to handle them and see how they look, check their teeth, eyes, noses. The humane society probably has space for a meet and greet.

I’ll keep you posted. I’m probably just overthinking the whole thing.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Mon May 22, 2023 3:55 am

I don’t have a good space for a second cage
What about sticking second cage on top of cupboard? Or perhaps on top of first cage? Or put barrier in first cage to fit all 3? Say 6 square foot for sisters and 2 square foot for single piggy? Just a suggestion. Good luck!

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Mon May 22, 2023 9:53 am

Thanks for the suggestions. The cage is already waist-high on top of the dog’s kennel. Which is a funny combination because the dog has no interest in guinea pigs. So he’ll be sound asleep in his kennel while zoomies are going on upstairs.

Big day today - we’ll see what happens.

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Mon May 22, 2023 6:04 pm

Well, I have 2 piggies. We met at Petsmart, which apparently partners with rescues, so Petsmart Foundation makes some kind of contribution to the rescue.

The foster is very nice. She primarily fostered dogs, but she has a senior dog that is uncomfortable around strange dogs. So she’s fostering piggies now. I’m not sure how piggy-savvy she is. She mentioned she didn’t want to tackle trimming the nails, which were needle sharp and getting caught on the blankets. One had a back nail that looked torn with some blood on it, probably caught on something.

Both had some urine stains on their bellies, so they must have spent time sitting in one place. She said she had a homemade C&C cage and used wood shavings for bedding. They’re not dirty or neglected by any means, but they smelled rodenty. I use fleece bedding so I’m not used to noticing any smell.

They have round bellies, clear eyes and nose, straight front teeth, and no ear sensitivity, so I’m assuming they are healthy and well fed. She said they’re just shy of 4 months old, but compared to Gidget, they’re large. Gidget at her heaviest was about 850 grams.

I gave them each a bath with two shampoos, I trimmed their nails, and cleaned their ears which were clean to begin with. They each have a hidey, pellet cup and water bottle, and they have a large pile of hay in a neutral zone. They ate some hay and pellets, then each took a hidey. They aren’t biters, but they aren’t social either. Both my other piggies were curious and came right up to see what was going on. These two want to be invisible, so we’ll have to work on that.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon May 22, 2023 7:59 pm

Congrats, congrats, congrats!!!

Did you find out what kind of pellets they had been eating? I am betting whatever you give them will be healthier.

I bet they will soften up. The first day can be tough!

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Mon May 22, 2023 9:31 pm

Did you check out 3rd piggy? Hope these 2 give you years of happiness!

Renonvsparky

Post   » Tue May 23, 2023 12:12 am

Congratulations on the new additions! We expect pictures! I'm not sure what your cage situation is, as far as size goes, but would it be possible to get all 3 and put them together? Females are easier to deal with in groups than boars. I wish I was closer because I'd take in the other one. I have an extra cage that's just sitting there taking up space. Not that I need another guinea pig, but I just hate seeing one in that situation especially when I have the ability to help.

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Tue May 23, 2023 12:23 am

Well, hold off on the congratulations. I think there’s a bad vibe between these two. We had a couple of cage matches. Not just rumbling and chattering with a nip or two. We’re talking rolling, screaming, aggressive brawls. I had to throw a towel over Rosemary, the aggressor, several times and she just kept coming back. It was like two tomcats fighting - my husband and I were shocked.

Nutmeg is smaller and more curious. She comes out to interact and take some food. Rosemary runs across the cage, bites her, chases her, and takes her food away. Nutmeg presses herself in a corner and starts crying when she sees Rosemary.

My husband watched a few Little Adventures, and suggested we divide the cage overnight so they can be next to each other without a fight. He didn’t want to wake up to an injured piggie in the morning.

So we added some grids and I dropped fleece fringes along the grids so they have limited visibility of each other. Lo and behold, they each came out in the open to eat. When they see each other, Rosemary rumbles and chews the grids, Nutmeg retreats.

So now I know why they had urine stains on their stomachs - they’re sitting in their hideys to avoid each other.

The foster was feeding adult Oxbow pellets. I mentioned baby pellets and she kind of laughed, I don’t think she knew there were different formulas for different ages. She wasn’t giving vitamin C because she said the wafers lose their potency and she doesn’t use enough of them. A vet told her to feed spinach and bell pepper. She just recently found out that dandelion greens had vitamin C. When I mentioned spinach and dandelions being okay for young pigs but not a good idea for adults, she didn’t know about calcium and stones.