Diarrhoea in elderly piggy

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed May 03, 2023 12:31 pm

Very encouraging!!

So this started 2 weeks ago? Did you by any chance start a new bottle of digestive tabs around then? Just sorting through some of the issues. The antibiotic likely responsible for the diarrhea and some of the problems.

madkatherine

Post   » Wed May 03, 2023 2:13 pm

I indeed did buy and start a new pack of digestive support, probably a week into his sickness (he couldn't eat dry food well in the beginning). I wish I recorded everything thoroughly so I could really pinpoint if the timing of starting a new pack and his horrible diarrhea aligned. Just to be safe, I'll not use this pack anymore

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed May 03, 2023 9:56 pm

Hard to know then. If he was already ill, one would think it was not involved but as you say, to be safe avoiding the pack might be a good idea, esp. since you're not positive when he started.

The important thing IMO is that he continues to get better!

madkatherine

Post   » Tue May 09, 2023 2:47 am

Another update on Falafel
(When I read other pigs' medical threads I always want to know what happened later, maybe this one will be useful for other too)

We've continued probiotics, critical care 1-2 times per day and started slowly introducing veggies back into his diet. Now he basically eats the same as before his illness.

Positive improvements
Eats and drinks by himself (I do need to motivate him to drink sometime tho)
Became very enthusiastic about hay and food (and even probiotics)
Poops and pee improved by a lot
He's way more active

Worrying signs
He did get minor bloat a few times. Belly massages and espumisan (simeticone) helped.
He is not gaining weight 😞 it fluctuates between 850 and 900g, while his regular weight is 1050-1090 g.
When resting, he is never fully relaxed (normally he would melt into a pancake) but kind of hunched. This is the most worrying thing to me. I booked a vet appointment and will ask them to make an ultrasound. I can't get rid of the feeling he may have bladder/kidney stones.

Also, I ordered a new bag of oxbow digestive support and will try them again as we did have great results previously 🤞

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue May 09, 2023 7:26 am

Thanks for the update. You are very observant (noticing how he never fully relaxes now but is kind of hunched when held - a change).

I don't know if it would be helpful to you, but read over the guidelines under the separator line (Determining The Correct Weight For Your Guinea Pig contributed by veterinarian Sandra Mitchell) for determining your guinea pig's condition. It may help you determine if he is actually underweight or lost some extra weight:
https://www.guinealynx.info/weigh.html

Elderly guinea pigs are prone to losing weight.