Chore or Privilege?

Renonvsparky

Post   » Wed Mar 29, 2023 1:59 am

I just finished feeding my guinea pigs and I was doing some thinking while I was at it. Is this a chore or a privilege? My no doubt answer is that it's a privilege. I get a lot of joy and satisfaction from caring for these little ones. The 9 pigs I have are in 5 cages and each set as well as my single guy, Dean are unique.

Dean goes to the spot where he wants his veggies put and rears up on his hind legs. I dump them from his pan and he eats. Gilligan and Skipper like to grab one piece of cut up lettuce right from the tray and eat it while I dump the rest. Wilber and Grady are unique in that Grady waits until I let Wilber pull the tray into the cage and then I dump it. I don't let go of it but I don't stop him from pulling it in either. The girls like me to give them each a piece of lettuce which they take into their tunnels and eat while I dump the rest between them. Kahlua and Jack do pretty much the same thing except they go to the back of the cage instead of the tunnel.

The chorus of squeaks and the rattling of the cage as they anticipate their food makes me feel good about what I'm doing for them. Changing their bedding can be gross but it doesn't bother me and it is equally rewarding. None of them run from me when I pick them up to get them out. I always spend a few minutes loving on them before putting them in the tote and again when putting them back in their cages after I'm done. The way they frolic around checking out the fresh hay and clean bedding melts my heart. I can't think of a single aspect of caring for them that is a chore. Even when they're sick or when the ones I've lost have passed away in my arms, there's a sense of satisfaction knowing that we shared our time together and I did my best to care for them.

The chickens and ducks feel more like a chore than a privilege because they are not pets. They're a food source. Don't get me wrong. There are certain rewards and some satisfaction in feeding and watering them. Not so much when cleaning out their coop, though. The way they gather at my feet when I spread out their scratch grains or fill their feeding troughs and waterers is cute and I rather enjoy that. I turn over the ground in their yard so they can get worms and grubs. They can hardly wait for that. The way they swarm the shovel full of dirt cracks me up every time. Hatching chicks is amazing. I don't do much with the dogs and cats in the way of care. My son takes good care of that, but I do show them a lot of affection. Still, none of that is quite the same as it is with the guinea pigs.

My guinea pigs are my comfort animals and taking care of them is the greatest privilege I have. How about the rest of you?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Mar 29, 2023 8:05 am

What you describe is the discovery and enjoyment of each individual personality. Ironically, since I don't have guinea pigs any more but DO have chickens (only 3) as pets, I find their care no chore at all. It is harder to travel and find someone to care for them (can never be as thorough as my care) but for sure, each is a unique personality and have unique behaviors. One speaks human speak (IMO). Another is my "shoulder chicken" (sometimes "head chicken") when she is trying to avoid her nemesis (she is a wimp AND a bully). The last is super soft and a bit shy/put off but she will jump on my lap. Their personalities and behaviors are so familiar. They do have to put up with a hug from me each night.

RubySimon

Post   » Thu Mar 30, 2023 8:46 am

All the animals that we have are both a chore and a privilege. The cleaning part is definitely a chore. It is a lot of work. The rest is an absolute privilege. I grew up with no pets. My parents became "cat people" later in life. I had goldfish. Big whoop, lol. So when I moved out and got married for the first time, I got a dog, then another, then a cat, then more cats. Then got rid of one husband and got a better one! Then we (I) got horses, then ducks, then rabbits, then goats, then guinea pigs, then a chinchilla. My husband used to tell my father that if they had let me have pets as a kid, maybe he would not be drowning in them now! My Dad agreed, mostly because he adored my husband, but I do think he saw the grain of truth in it! Sometimes, it does seem like the chores are overwhelming, but during times like GP lap time, dog walking, grooming a horse, it is with no bit of doubt, a definite gift.

Renonvsparky

Post   » Thu Mar 30, 2023 9:16 pm

My chickens are very entertaining. I get joy and a few laughs out of caring for them. Watching that tiny Bantam rooster, Phoenix chase Nugget, who is twice his size around is pretty funny. Nugget doesn't have his spurs yet so there's not much chance he'll turn and fight. I think the pecking order is pretty well established with the roosters and not going to change even after his spurs come in. At least I hope so because it will stop being funny and get very serious. All of the birds get excited when we come out of the back door. They think they're getting something. That's funny and cute too.

But the bottom line is that they are a food source. Some of them just for their eggs and the newest ones for meat. That's the biggest difference between them and the guinea pigs. That and the fact that the guinea pigs are far cuter than the chickens 😋

Lisa12

Post   » Fri Mar 31, 2023 3:29 am

Lynx, that really cool!! Like in that show Saved By The Barn. Sorry for offtopic a little but do they live outdoors?
I tought that too..but here we re totally near forrest(there are foxes and other animals),

I ve been vegetarian for more than 25 years(i dont eat meat or eggs)-i read on the other topic ItsaZoo is, too! I like that fact pigs are too as oposite to cats and dogs:)

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Mar 31, 2023 10:14 am

My chickens live in a deluxe chicken house at night and have the run of the fenced garden during the day (we have foxes, bears, raccoons, opossums and more!).

I lean vegetarian but am not (I like cheese and eggs too much). I also have goldfish in a pond in the garden which I can "pet" so have an appreciation of fish.

Lisa12

Post   » Sat Apr 01, 2023 9:30 am

Thanks for information!! Maybe one day forreal i ll have chickens or something..but for now we have this no more pets, no more vets rule:).

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Mon Apr 03, 2023 7:40 pm

I don't know where to put this, but it looks like you might be in really high risk area for tornadoes tomorrow. I know you have a nice setup for this. We were in the same situation last Friday (will be tomorrow too) and my daughter had the carriers set up so we could quickly move the pigs to the basement. Moving 7 pigs in a rush is hard and I know you've got more.

Is this too big, Lynx? My daughter helped me.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Apr 03, 2023 9:03 pm

It is perfect. ALSO the board software will resize things to fit. If you are interested in how big it really is, right click and select "open image in new tab". If it is especially large, you will see a plus sign you can click on to see the entire image.

Everything is relative. Depends on your computer window size or phone size.

p.s. I sure as heck am glad I live in (at the moment) safe Virginia! Though we had some high winds come through a couple days ago and a friend lost power - don't know if it is yet restored.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Tue Apr 04, 2023 11:23 pm

https://www.spc.noaa.gov/products/outlook/day1otlk.html
I'm trying to post the image w/o daughter and it's not working. This is the link for today's map.

The red area - almost never see that, especially in this area. Tan area - very infrequent around here and seldom so big anywhere. This is supposed to happen early morning. Oh joy.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Apr 04, 2023 11:34 pm

Oh, I think I can help you display the image! Use image tags and grab the image by right clicking on it, having it open in another tab, and the image only should appear and you can copy the url (which ends in gif, which tells that it is an image):

We are looking at high 80's tomorrow and mostly "sunny".

Renonvsparky

Post   » Wed Apr 05, 2023 2:58 am

We escaped most of the wrath of this storm. We have a lot of wind, some thunder and lightning, but not a whole lot of rain and thankfully, no tornadoes. Others weren't as fortunate. I have everything ready to get all of my pets to safety. The birds (meaning the chickens and ducks) are a different story. As much as it sucks, there's just not much I can do to get all 30 of them into a shelter, even if I had one for them. It would be a loss I'd just have to take. I know that sounds terrible but I think concentrating on the ones that I can save is the best thing.