Juniper's medical thread

Zaphy

Post   » Tue Jan 17, 2023 4:29 pm

Juniper is a 2 year old sow I adopted a year ago from a hoarding situation. She gained a ton of weight after coming to live with my herd, to the point where she was pretty undeniably obese. In response (she was not the only overweight pig in the herd, though she was the fattest) I began limiting their pellets a month or two ago. She lost weight, which I was glad about, but then she kept losing weight. Three days ago (Saturday) I checked her thoroughly and found multiple lumps under her chin/in her dewlap. She's also always been on the feral side, very flighty and jumpy, and difficult to catch. When I checked her she was easy to pick up, I was able to just scoop her up one-handed. So not feeling great either.

Today (Monday) she went to the vet, and the vet suspected abscesses. We decided on attempting to drain the abscesses and use antibiotics, so he shaved her neck, lanced the main lump (blueberry sized), and got a small amount of pus out.

He then noticed the second lump appears to be going down into her neck, and as soon as he pricked it with the needle Juniper passed out limp. He immediately went to the stethoscope and says she never lost a heartbeat, and she did recover after a few moments. But after that he didn't pursue further diagnostics out of the fear of stressing her out further.

He also took a look at the aspirate he had gotten out under the microscope and found some unusual looking cells, so he now suspects that Juniper has cancer and we're looking at an infected mass. But given how fragile she's acting, he wasn't even comfortable turning her on her side for radiographs. So he sent her home with some Bactrim in the hopes that it'll be able to fight off the infection enough that she'll be able to get some strength back, and then *hopefully* we can see a little more clearly what's going on. But of course, if she's got cancer then even if the infection does clear up it won't likely make much of a difference.

I think my biggest question is, has anyone had a guinea pig pass out before? I'm not really sure what to make of that- obviously it's not good, I guess I'm just not sure how not good it is. Forum search turned up nothing, but maybe I wasn't using good keywords.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Jan 17, 2023 8:08 pm

The search database had become corrupted to I had to start from scratch so past posts are not in it (only a couple months of posts). It is most useful if one knows what they are looking for (most importantly, what member posted about it). But it can take time and require a good memory. I am sorry about this. When a table becomes corrupted, it often can't be repaired. It may be possible to rebuild the entire table but would take time and knowing how to do it (I'm unsure).

Passing out sounds unusual. I certainly can understand your vet's reluctance to pursue further diagnostics. It might be worthwhile to check her heart some time in the future. I hope the Bactrim helps - though it is a pretty mild antibiotic. Let us know how things go.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Wed Jan 18, 2023 9:59 pm

Maybe not pass clean out, but pretty close to it. We had one that our vet said, in so many words, 'don't bring this pig in unless it is absolutely unconditionally necessary'. I think your vet is wise.

Toby came from a bad situation, too. He was jumpy, flighty and terrified until, kind of oddly, we put him in his C&C cage. Then he became tough and fearless (?), but still highly strung. After one vet trip, he basically laid in his cage without moving much for several hours -- really, really stressed out. He recovered, but we were more cautious with him with anything out of the ordinary routine.

We took him in to the vet as little as necessary. He eventually passed at home.

In general and in my limited experience, guinea pigs are not quite as freaky and nervous as rabbits can be, but they can, on occasion, come close, especially out of a bad situation.

My very best to Juniper and to you. Please let us know how she does, and *thank you* for taking her and caring for her so well.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Jan 21, 2023 10:37 pm

Just letting you know that you know that the search seems to be functional (and speedy!) so you should have success finding things if needed.

Zaphy

Post   » Tue Jan 24, 2023 7:04 pm

Excellent, it is working! Still not finding any examples of guinea pigs fainting except when they've been about to pass, but can search through posts now! Thank you Lynx and Talishan.

Juniper's continued to lose weight, and the masses are growing. No new masses though, and nothing under the armpit which is something the owner of the rescue around here says she usually sees with lymphoma. So I wonder if it's just a different type of cancer. I'm not sure if there's any point in trying a different antibiotic? I suppose it wouldn't hurt just to be sure. Poor thing, I wish there was something I could do for her. She's looking so frail and isn't grooming herself properly anymore, her white coat is all stained with hay dust :( she is still eating and drinking, and gets excited for treats though so I think maybe not time for euthanasia yet? Bleh. Will call the vet tomorrow and see what he says.

Zaphy

Post   » Wed Jan 25, 2023 2:01 am

Ah, nope. She passed away. Must have been shortly after I posted. She was cold but not stiff. Wish I'd given her an extra treat earlier :(

Zaphy

Post   » Wed Jan 25, 2023 2:34 am

I actually wonder about a heart attack, you here weren't the only ones to suggest a heart issue with the fainting episode. Also when I've had pigs (and people) pass from cancer, it's typically been a much more long, drawn-out passing than what it seems Juniper went through- there weren't even any misshapen poops in the cage and she was (relatively) active and standing to beg for treats till probably right up until it. Hopefully she didn't suffer too badly or for too long.

Not sure if a necropsy would be the wisest choice financially but I am curious so we may or may not do one. Will update if we do.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Jan 25, 2023 8:13 am

I am so sorry to hear this. From your description, it sounds like she was having serious issues.

I wondered if your vet had considered cervical lymphadenitis. Tracis had some great links in the Records forum.
https://www.guinealynx.info/records/viewtopic.php?t=75

I had been trying to find a different post that described "When an abscess is more than an abscess"
https://www.guinealynx.info/records/viewtopic.php?t=95

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Fri Jan 27, 2023 12:28 am

I am so sorry. I read your posts but couldn't think of anything that would have been helpful. :(

Zaphy

Post   » Fri Jan 27, 2023 9:35 pm

Thank you Sef! I appreciate you and your desire to help. It's tough with weird symptoms like that.

We did have the vet do a simple visual necropsy after all, without any biopsies or pathology. He did find that she had some sort of cancer, the masses extended down into the neck and then the abdomen. He found additional masses at the base of her heart and a very large egg-sized solid mass at the base of the mesentery. So, well, that answers that. It's still very sad of course but I do always find it comforting to know that there wasn't anything else I could have done for her.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Jan 27, 2023 10:17 pm

I had a vet do a similar necropsy (a "gross" necropsy without sending anything off). In my case too, it helped explain why she died (tumors that had spread to her spleen, if I recall correctly).

With how extensive the masses were, it does not look like she would have survived.

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Sat Jan 28, 2023 3:35 am

My condolences, I’m sorry you lost Juniper. You take such good care of your piggies, they are really fortunate to live such good lives. Take care.