Quick Question about heating pads

RavenShade
Thanks for the Memories

Post   » Sat Jan 14, 2023 9:16 pm

I recall someone used a heated blanket for their pigs but I don't remember the specifics. It's chilly in my pig room and I was thinking about using an electric blanket under their pen. My boars are in good health but elderly. I thought it would be nice without turning up the heat so much in the rest of the house. Has anyone used a heated blanket with a timer to keep pigs warm? Any pros/cons? Brands?

Thanks.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Sat Jan 14, 2023 9:27 pm

I haven't used heating pads, but I have used pet warmers like this one:
https://www.chewy.com/cozy-products-coz ... /dp/183571

It has to sit close to the cage, but I like that it is gentle heat and I think there is a timer on the one I have.

RavenShade
Thanks for the Memories

Post   » Sat Jan 14, 2023 10:28 pm

Thank you for the link. I'm not sure that particular one has a timer, but I'm reviewing the questions. It's a good lead. I mostly need something for overnight when it's coldest.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Sat Jan 14, 2023 10:42 pm

I used a couple of them on either side of Harold's cage when he was so ill and I couldn't keep his body temperature up. I thought they did a good job, and the nice thing is that the guinea pig can always move to another part of the cage if they get too warm with it (it's not overly hot, and you can actually touch the surface [radiant heat], but it does warm well). I might be thinking that there were different levels of heat vs. a timer.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Jan 15, 2023 8:13 am

Radiant heat can be really really nice (when my wood stove is going, one is drawn to it and the super saturating warmth it gives out).

I am a big personal fleece user. My fleece clothing is warmer than anything! (not an itchy wool fan)

What I would do for my guinea pigs is drape some fleece over an open sided stool. They can enter and partially exist on a draped side meaning the fleece acts like a blanket. It would get plenty nippy in their room (under 60 degrees overnight sometimes). Combining this with warm fleece underfoot seemed to keep them warm.

RubySimon

Post   » Sun Jan 15, 2023 8:20 am

I have used Snuggle Safe warming disks and have actually seen them in vets offices. I like them because they fit in igloos and pigs can use them or not. I image they have to get used to them but I chose them because there are no cords and the outlets are hard to get to in my pig/rabbit/chinchilla/rat room.

The ones Sef mentioned are pretty cool though.