Hay

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Apr 14, 2023 9:51 am

Report back after a few days and let us know how it goes! I expect it is dried sufficiently but you might want to take extra precautions to prevent any mold from developing.

Renonvsparky

Post   » Sun Apr 16, 2023 4:02 pm

I buy the 50 lb bales of Timothy hay from Standlee and I have only gotten one bad bale in the last 2 years. The store was gracious enough to replace it for me. I believe you're going to be very satisfied with it. How do you store it? I suggest a brand new plastic garbage can with a lid that snaps down. You can then keep it in the garage, shed or basement if you have one. That will keep it fresh for longer and will keep unwanted things like dust, dirt, mice and other trash from getting into it. You can use a small bag or something to bring it in to the piggies. I use an empty 96 oz bag. It holds enough to fill the 5 cages twice, and I can close it up and keep it by the cages. I only have to fill it every other day. Just an idea you can try.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sun Apr 16, 2023 4:10 pm

But hay needs to breathe, so the container needs holes in it. You could like the inside with screen material to keep the larger bugs from getting into it.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Apr 16, 2023 9:32 pm

Mold spores are everywhere.

The key to preventing the development of mold is a dry environment and dry hay. I do not know the moisture threshold for mold development but did have several bales that got dusty/moldy in a relatively dry (but Virginia dry) out building. If I'd had it in my air conditioned house, it likely would have fared better.

It might be worthwhile to contact the company that sells the hay for their storage advice. Super dry hay will be very brittle. I do not know the ideal moisture content for hay. But if they provide storage advice, which should take into account mold prevention, it may tell you how dry the hay is.

Renonvsparky

Post   » Sun Apr 16, 2023 9:37 pm

My garbage can lid snaps closed, but it's not sealed air tight. It's sufficient to keep critters from being able to open it. Some dust can get in, but since it's not wide open, it's minimal. I store it in my finished garage. It stays dry and it goes down fast enough with 9 guinea pigs that I don't think there's enough time for it to mold.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Apr 16, 2023 9:42 pm

For sure, turnover (how quickly it is used) makes a big difference. I have no doubt that your system works for you.

PooksiedAnimals
Supporting my GL Habit

Post   » Mon Apr 17, 2023 9:28 am

Our basement is very dry. I kept the old box of the uncompressed hay, so when I get a chance, I'll cut this completely out of the plastic and keep it in the old box. I've successfully stored hay for a long time (depends on how many fosters I have and the breaks in-between them). Right now I'm supplying hay for my two, and two my sister has (because I do NOT want her paying for those little bags of hay - sheesh, $11 for 40oz?). So this bale may go fast!

thanks for the feedback on Standlee. That makes me feel a bit more confident buying that going forward.

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Sun Aug 06, 2023 10:49 pm

I just bought a sample box of Small Pet Select and the hay looked so nice. Orchard grass was long, green strands. Second and third cut timothy was nice and smelled fresh, and the oat hay looked good as well. But even though Millie is a foodie, she’s leaving a lot of it uneaten and she seems to be burrowing through it more. Tonight she’s sneezed a couple times. I did notice the hay feels more dusty than Oxbow when I handle it. I may have to take it outside and shake it out.

Just wondering if anyone else had similar experiences.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Aug 07, 2023 7:48 am

I think of hay dust as being dried mold. Don't take that in a bad way. Mold is everywhere. If it looks and smells good, you would hope it is good. I think hay can be pretty touchy.

How about take a small handful of it and wet it down/soak to give her? I think you are familiar with that trick to get guinea pigs to eat hay (remove it after an hour or two?). It may damp down any dust/mold so it doesn't enter her respiratory tract.

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Mon Aug 07, 2023 11:13 am

I’m kind of disappointed with it. I know agricultural products vary and it’s hard to to get any consistency. I just notice my hands feel a lot grittier after I pick up a handful of it.

It’s a breezy day today, I’ll try putting a bunch of it in a tub and fluffing it up outside.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Aug 07, 2023 3:21 pm

Ah, gritty. Rinse and dry?

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Mon Aug 07, 2023 8:45 pm

I seem to remember SPS being very pokey/stemmy the last time I ordered it. I mainly just stick with Oxbow, but it can be a little grainy, too, with a lot of tiny pieces at the bottom of the bag that always end up getting pitched.

Oddly, none of my guys will eat oat hay---they just drag it around and make a mess with it. :\ Does Millie eat it?