New foster coming!!

RubySimon

Post   » Sat Dec 10, 2022 9:46 am

Got an email from the shelter my last pig fosters came from. They have a 3 yo boy that just lost his partner. He and the other pig were surrendered yesterday. The other pig was immediately euthanized because he had some sort of growth in his throat (?) that was impacting his breathing. It is a shame they did not surrender them BEFORE this point. Maybe the shelter could have done something to help him. I understand vet care is costly, and sometimes it is hard to find someone to see a pig around here, but really? I guess I should be glad that he was finally put out of his suffering. Anyway, the remaining pig is having hard time because his buddy is gone. So, they asked me to foster him, knowing I had other pigs that would at least be in the same room. And that I have the time to spoil him until he finds his forever home. Going to get him tomorrow. I am anxious to get him here and settled. It is a fantastic shelter, just gorgeous and very well run, but I think under the circumstances, being here where it is very quiet, will be good for him.

They did say he is cleared medically, so that is reassuring that I can bring him here safely.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Sat Dec 10, 2022 10:56 am

Oh, I'm so glad you will be able to take him in as a foster! Can't wait to see a picture or two. ;)

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Dec 10, 2022 11:21 am

You two sound like the perfect match!

I hope the new environment in your home brings him happiness and that whoever adopts him is The Right Family!

RubySimon

Post   » Sat Dec 10, 2022 3:18 pm

Sef-I am so thick when it comes to posting pics on this site. Ugh.

Lynx-I hope he will end up in a home with at least another pig, it sounds like that will be good for him. I will get more details on him tomorrow. Hopefully, the owners who surrendered him agreed to fill out the questionnaire and I can get some info about him. I had one on Luke, my current pig and it was helpful to know what kind of life he had originally. Hoping he is more kid friendly than my last fosters. That narrowed the number of homes that could have taken them. But patience was worth it and they are living a fabulous life. Hope Dwayne does too!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Dec 10, 2022 7:19 pm

His name is Dwayne? That is a fun name!

I believe there may be a topic in the Feedback Forum with advice on how to post pics. To keep the size of the site down, I generally only post medical pictures.

Good luck to you and Dwayne!

RubySimon

Post   » Sun Dec 11, 2022 6:23 am

Lol, his mate that he lost was Kevin, as in Kevin Hart, and he is Dwayne as in Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson. SMH.................

RubySimon

Post   » Sun Dec 11, 2022 5:12 pm

Picked him up a bit ago. He is HUGE. But pretty cool. Put him in his cage and he started eating hay right off. Chewed a little on the toys then laid down and kind of watched the other pigs.
I actually think he is overweight a little. I will try to get him a floor pen to have a lot of space to move around. I will weigh him tomorrow, but he is definitely the biggest pig I have ever had. But falling in love.......................

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Dec 11, 2022 8:10 pm

...........love is a beautiful thing..

RubySimon

Post   » Mon Dec 12, 2022 10:43 am

Lynx-I CAN'T LOVE HIM!!!!!!!! I promised my husband I would only foster more animals. He has been so wonderful for so many years, with horses, goats, rabbits, ducks, dogs, cats, a chinchilla, numerous guinea pigs, pretty much supporting my addiction and doing a lot of the physical labor. All while working as a police officer which is so not a 9 to 5 job. Now he is retired and wants us to have a little break. So, I have to keep saying, he is only a foster, he is only a foster.................

But seriously, he is a sweetheart. He quite obviously enjoys being in a place where he can be around other pigs. The shelter has all their GPs in foster, so he was the only one in the shelter, and was not eating. Now that he is here, he perked up noticeably. I am concerned about his weight though, he is a very big guy. I put him in a large x pen and will try to keep him active and see if I can slim him down a little. Have not weighed him yet, want him to settle in more, but I weigh my pigs twice a week, so mine will be due mid week for a weigh in. Will see what he weighs in at.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Dec 12, 2022 8:25 pm

Some years ago when we (family - mostly daughter) had kind of taken in a stray cat, a different cat showed up. It had a bobbed tail, was young and cute and was the most affectionate-in all-the-right-ways cat I had ever known! I remember petting him (her?) with the other cat looking on and feeling I was cheating on her.

Love happens. Sometimes there is a breakup. Sometimes things don't go the way you expect (a neighbor rehomed this cat) but they can still draw you in.
p.s. it sounds like you have a gem of a husband :-)

RubySimon

Post   » Tue Dec 13, 2022 8:30 am

Aww cute story. I totally get that Lynx.

He is pretty great. I am lucky because, well, sometimes I can be, um, a handful.

So, new foster is kinda freaking me out. Put him in the floor pen all day yesterday, ate ok, pooped, active. Put him back in the cage for the overnight. This AM, no poop. None. I just gave him some CC. He was the worst pig to feed that too that I have ever had. He has gone through a lot since Friday. Shelter, losing his cage mate, coming here. This is only the second full day of being here. But no poop, that is worrisome. I will monitor him closely today and see how he does in the floor pen. I have some C&C grids coming today to make a permanent floor pen and do away with the cage. The cage is really too small. If he doesn't start pooping normally, I will have him seen at the shelter clinic. Ugh, just what I need at Christmas, a pig with issues!

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Tue Dec 13, 2022 2:08 pm

Don't panic yet. He could be eating his own poops.

Why are you feeding him CC?