Zachary Binks

Renonvsparky

Post   » Mon Mar 06, 2023 9:39 pm

I think the compaction was a symptom, not the cause. I do know that pigs have slower gut motility the older they get. What's most puzzling is how he maintained his weight and didn't show any warning signs that something was wrong. He went from totally fine to the rainbow bridge in less than 24 hours. That's what led me to believe that he may have been bitten by a poisonous spider or other insect.

I ruled out food poisoning because all 12 of the guinea pigs get the exact same things to eat. I split one green pepper in the am and one cucumber in the pm between them. So if it was that, they'd all be affected. Sometimes they get green leaf lettuce from different heads, but it's always more than one guinea pig getting a leaf from the same head. I ruled that out too. Hay and pellets are out as well since they all get those things from the exact same source. That leaves old age and toxin from an unknown spider or something.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Mar 06, 2023 11:04 pm

As the impaction developed, its weight may have contributed to it looking like he was doing okay but he was actually losing some weight.

Renonvsparky

Post   » Mon Mar 06, 2023 11:45 pm

I suppose so, but it was not a lot. Less than an ounce, I'd guess. It's another guinea pig mystery I'll never find the answer to.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Tue Mar 07, 2023 1:12 pm

I am so sorry to hear you lost him! The short time he was with you you showed him what love and the good life was like. And he gave you memories of all your past piggies and of himself.

Piggies and I send hugs and condolences on your lost. RIP Zachary Binks run free with all your piggy pals and munch on the green grass! In time look into your heart and you will find him and your tears will dry up and a quivering smile will appear! Again I am so sorry for your lost! Another angel was needed in heaven!

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Tue Mar 07, 2023 5:47 pm

Oh no! I'm so sorry.

Renonvsparky

Post   » Tue Mar 07, 2023 9:45 pm

This is for you, Zachary Binks. Your time with us in our home may have been short, but your impact on our lives will last forever. You had every good quality we could ask for and no bad ones. You came to us at a time when we needed you most and brought healing and joy with you. You were a ray of sunshine on a cloudy day. Your squeaky greetings were music to our ears. Your bubbly personality and the way you always came to the front of your cage to see us and share your love melted our hearts. Rest in sweet peace with your brothers and sisters and we'll see you on the other side.

Zachary Binks was by far the most curious of all my guinea pigs. He never failed to come to the front of his cage to greet us and check out what was going on. His hearing was very acute, so he could hear us coming up the hall and was always right there by the time we came into the room. He climbed up every time.

He loved his food. Didn't matter if it was a baby carrot, cilantro, lettuce, bell pepper, cucumber, hay, pellets or whatever. He ate well.

Zachary Binks is the only guinea pig who rivaled Mr Bubbles in the peaceful sleep department. Hut, tunnel, hammock or right out in the open, it made no difference to him. He could curl up anywhere and sleep soundly.

Cuddling was his specialty. He was every bit as lovey dovey as BJ. I love nothing more than to hold my guinea pig and have him or her feel safe and comfortable with me. Exploring my face and crawling up under my chin is a plus. Zachary Binks took that to the next level by pulling off my glasses and giving me his style of guinea pig kisses. He rubbed noses with me all of the time.

Last, and certainly not least was his curiosity towards the other guinea pigs. Here he is trying to get Gilligan's and Skipper's attention. When he wasn't eating, sleeping or enjoying quality time with us, he was talking to his neighbors. If there's anything I regret, other than his short time with us, it's not being able to put him together with any of the other guinea pigs. The situation with the pairs of boars and the fact that I didn't feel right putting Dean, at 5 years of age through that process just didn't permit it.

I will never forget Zachary Binks. I'm forever grateful for his time with our family.
Last edited by Renonvsparky on Tue Mar 07, 2023 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Mar 07, 2023 9:48 pm

He was a really special guy.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Tue Mar 07, 2023 10:54 pm

Just love those lips and little feet! He knew he was loved and he had achieved what he set out to do which was to open your heart to love of piggies again.Treasure the wonderful times and he will always be with you! A beautiful tribute to a beautiful boy! Hugs from us from down under.

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Tue Mar 07, 2023 11:01 pm

I’m so sorry about Zachary Binks. He was a sweet lovable little guy and you gave him a great home.

Renonvsparky

Post   » Tue Mar 07, 2023 11:43 pm

Just saw the saddest thing. Gilligan was looking over at the empty cage squeaking for Zachary Binks. They, along with Skipper used to do that. It's going to take some time for them to get used to that cage being empty, I guess. Wilber and Grady are on the other side of them, plus they have each other. Maybe they'll form some kind of bond.
He knew he was loved and he had achieved what he set out to do which was to open your heart to love of piggies again
I should clarify that I've never lost my love of piggies, even when I lost Mr Bubbles. Zachary Binks helped me get through that in a way that no other guinea pig could and for that alone, he was special and will always have my gratitude. I'll need some time to get over losing Zachary Binks. I don't plan on getting any more guinea pigs to help with that, as I still have 9 of them who need me at my best. Not to say that another piggie isn't in the cards. You never know when or where one will come along and if one does, I won't turn my back on him or her. I do appreciate the well wishes and condolences, though

Lisa12

Post   » Wed Mar 08, 2023 3:37 am

I am very sorry for your loss of Zachary Binks...:,( He seemed like such a beautiful pig..

You have all my respect for standing still and keep on having pigs..when we lost our little Galli i just tought my life was over-in a way in that moment it even was...

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Wed Mar 08, 2023 5:50 am

I am sorry for any offence caused by what I said. I knew what I wanted to say but I lost in by my brain to my fingers. I will say he looks a lot like my Justice. I mean to say he helped to heal your heart.