Four year old losing weight (big thread inside)

amberkenn2016

Post   » Wed Sep 28, 2022 4:33 am

I don't have too much experience with thyroids in guinea pigs, but I just wanted to say that I'm glad he's making progress! I'm wishing you two the best. Alot of times with my late pigs, most diagnoses were based on trial and error, and sometimes I never got a definitive answer as to what went wrong. It was definitely very stressful all around!

One of the hardest things I had to learn was to cherish my pigs with the time they had left vs. getting caught up in finding answers to every little thing. I was so caught up in keeping the first few alive that I can say that I didn't even want to think any day could be their last. Not saying this is what you are doing, but I think it can be very easy to despair at any signs of deterioration. Regardless of how long they are with us, the only thing they will remember is the love you have given them. So even if things are looking rough, remember to give them all the loving they can take.

Again, I'm crossing my fingers that he'll keep improving, but figured I'd share that wisdom in the meantime!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Sep 28, 2022 8:27 am

Wise words, amberkenn2016.

Squiggles

Post   » Mon Oct 03, 2022 4:57 pm

Thank you so much for your support and kind words. I do spend a lot of time cuddling him and telling him I'm only torturing him this way because I don't want to lose him, and I don't think he's ready to leave either. He is still on the medicine, twice a day (I managed to get watermelon for the refill. They even had a timmy hay flavor they're working on! But I'll wait until the banana is fully done), and he seems to be falling now between 698-710. So while he's rising, I also know this could go sour any second. But he has more energy, runs in his little hoop in his playpen. Which I'm beginning to find he loves more. When I was cleaning it, I had him back in the cage and then put him on the ground and he kept nudging at the playpen. I still let him see his brother, but I'm beginning to see he likes his solo time more than anything.

I do have a quick question, though. Like all medication, I know it's going to eventually (I hope not) put pressure on his kidneys. Do we know exactly when I should start testing him to make sure it's not? It hasn't been a month since the medication began, but I'm just wondering.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Oct 03, 2022 10:55 pm

I am guessing this is a good question for your vet. He has been treating him and should have a much better perspective on this.

Tracy

Post   » Mon Nov 14, 2022 8:56 pm

How is your piggy doing, Squiggles?

Squiggles

Post   » Tue Jan 17, 2023 1:44 am

He was doing well. But now I'm afraid he's dropping again. He was between 730-750, but now he's heading back to the 600s. I'm debating on increasing the medication, just a bit, but I want to take him for bloodwork first. I'm so bummed. He was doing fantastic. Still eating and functioning with no problem, I still give him two feedings of Emeraid by spoon, which he still loves, but now the weight dropping is back.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Jan 17, 2023 8:11 pm

You might be able to consult with your vet by phone about increasing the medication. Depending on the illness and the medications, some vets will provide guidelines in advance to help you adjust it if needed.

Squiggles

Post   » Fri Jan 27, 2023 8:50 am

I did talk to him when I took one of my cats, and he said I can increase a bit. But yesterday I took him for blood, and he says everything looks fine, but his potassium is a bit high. I'm guessing it's from the Emeraid? Because I definitely do not feed them bananas. Now he's saying I shouldn't up it, but I'm concerned about the weight loss since he used to be between 730-760, now he's jumping between 700, 710- 720. Lynx, may I send you a copy of his bloodwork so you can post it on here? I can never line it up correctly when I do, and it might be help for someone in the future (or now).

This is why I wish I could find a good exotic vet since the only one around here (and in 50 miles) turned out to be a bust, but I don't think the results would change any, even if I did.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Jan 27, 2023 10:39 am

You are welcome to send me a copy of the bloodwork (I personally am not very knowledgeable but I can post it!).

If it is a file, send to:

If it is all text, you can send it using the mailer (or above address).

Squiggles

Post   » Sat Jan 28, 2023 1:59 pm

Thanks! I sent it over. His liver is all high as well, but I'm guessing it's from the medication. I'm debating if I want to request a refill of the milk thistle since he hasn't been on it for a while because I ran out (it was from the exotic vet originally).

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Jan 29, 2023 10:00 am

The results don't display nicely if I just copy and paste so I've tried to format them as best I could.
Note that if there is a ratio, there are no units.
If there is no "Adult Reference Range", you'll only see the results and units.

Test Requested . . . .Results . . . .Adult Reference Range . . . . Units

Superchem w/SDMA

TOTAL PROTEIN ..... 5.1 .......... 4.5-6.5 ...... g/dL
ALBUMIN .............. 3.4 .......... 0.5-6.0 ...... g/dL
GLOBULIN ............ 1.7 .......... 2.0-4.1 ...... g/dL
A/G RATIO ............ 2.0 (HIGH) .......... 0.7-1.4
AST (SGOT) .......... 102 (HIGH) .......... 10-45 ...... IU/L
ALT (SGPT) ............ 63 (HIGH) .......... 10-35 ...... IU/L
Alk Phosphatase ...... 32 ............ 15-45 ...... IU/L
GGT ..................... 5 .............. 0-20 ...... IU/L
Total Bilirubin ........ 0.1 ......... 0.0-1.0 ...... mg/dL
BUN .................... 17 ............. 9-30 ...... mg/dL
Creatinine ............ 0.3 (LOW) .......... 0.5-2.2 ...... mg/dL
SDMA ................... 6.0 UG/dL
SDMA has been validated for canine and feline species only. Although it can be run in other species, reference intervals and interpretive comments are not available.

BUN/CREAT RATIO ..... 57
PHOSPHORUS .......... 4.8 .......... 4.2-8.5 ...... mg/dL
Glucose ................ 144 (HIGH) .......... 60-125 ...... mg/dL
CALCIUM ................ 9.5 .......... 8-12 ...... mg/dL
MAGNESIUM ............ 2.6 mEq/L
SODIUM ............... 133 (LOW) .......... 140-160 ...... mEq/L
POTASSIUM ............ 10.7 (HIGH) .......... 4.3-5.8 ...... mEq/L
NA/K RATIO ........... 12
CHLORIDE ............. 101 .......... 90-110 ...... mEq/L
CHOLESTEROL ......... 84 .......... 50-250 ...... mg/dL
TRIGLYCERIDE ......... 42 (LOW) .......... 50-200 ...... mg/dL
AMYLASE ............... 737 IU/L
PrecisionPSL ........... 29 U/L
CPK ..................... 2,787 IU/L

Sample Conditions
AST may be lower than reported due to a Hemolysis 4+, but is still abnormal.

Test - Requested - Results - Adult Reference Range - Units
T4 ..... 3.0 ug/dL

Squiggles

Post   » Thu Feb 02, 2023 3:08 am

Thank you for posting, Lynx. I have attached a photo of his results back in July 2022. Hope I did it right. I tried to get a refill of the milk thistle, but the exotic vet isn't answering. Guess they're sore at me not returning their call back in September when they wanted to perform more tests on him (that I probably would have done out of not knowing what to do, if Tracy hadn't come along and saved us from that). I was looking at the list for Connecticut (since New York for me is out because that's the only exotic vet next to going to Long Island) and I found one that both is on this list and Cornell recommends, so I'm thinking maybe I'll take him there just to see their opinion. I don't want to subject this poor baby to anymore, but I also don't like that the slide of his weight has begun again.