Layering Fleece and Towels

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Sat Aug 27, 2022 11:22 pm

I have been using fleece and towels on-and-off for many years, and the cages have always stayed nice and dry---until this past year or so, when we adopted Aaron and Barnaby. Their cage is almost constantly damp, no matter how many layers of towels I use under the fleece. Granted, it's a smaller cage (Midwest Habitat, which is all that I have room for here) but I'm not having that issue with either of the other two identical cages.

Has anyone here ever used alternating layers of fleece-towel-fleece-towel? I'm wondering if that might be a better solution, so that the urine is wicking down deeper vs. creating soggy towels beneath the top layer of fleece. I might experiment next week with it, just to see, but was curious to know if anyone else has tried it and what their experience was.

Renonvsparky

Post   » Sun Aug 28, 2022 2:35 am

I use horse bedding pellets. They do a good job of keeping the fleece dry and there's much less to wash. My fleece blankets stay dry for about 3 days. I don't let them go that long normally, but every once in awhile I forget or something comes up and I have to let them go beyond the third day. The only thing with using pellets under the fleece is that you have to come up with a way to secure the fleece so that the guinea pigs don't get under it and come into contact with the pellets. You can scoop out the wet stuff and replace with dry. They are available at most farm supply stores. They go for $8-$10 for a bag and it lasts me for 3-4 months using them on 6 cages. You can also use heating pellets, but those don't have the odor neutralizer like the bedding pellets do.

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Sun Aug 28, 2022 3:00 am

I use fleece over washable bed pads and that keeps the surface dry. I do notice with my wee pads that they can get soggy, especially the ones I use for hay piles. They are fleece with a towel and cotton fabric backing.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Sun Aug 28, 2022 8:09 am

I am not at all interested in using bedding pellets.

ItsaZoo, same issue with the wee pads, which I replace out daily. They are more like a sponge than anything. I do have much better luck with the beds that Traci makes at Let Sleeping Pigs Lie.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Aug 28, 2022 8:57 am

Sorry you're having this problem! I can say that when I used cotton towels, they were pretty odorous when wet/damp. Hoping someone has a suggestion for a material that will help you (only thing that comes to mind is microfiber, which is very absorbent and maybe could be put underneath and swapped out when wet).

I know bpatters really loves the horse bedding pellets too but understand how they might not work for you.

RubySimon

Post   » Mon Aug 29, 2022 7:58 am

I use only fleece. I found towels just got too wet and then the fleece stayed wet. I put two layers of fleece on the floor in the pen, and then an extra layer of small pieces under their houses and in front of the hay feeder. I pick up the small pieces and put new ones down late in the afternoon. It seems to keep everything and everyone cleaner.

I hate the pelleted bedding. But I use OKOKAT litter for my rabbit. I LOVE that stuff. And it just gets thrown out in the woods because it is wood. It absorbs amazingly and keep the odor down better than anything I ever used for my rabbits. I have a grated litter box for him and cover the grate with hay. It might be too expensive for a GP pen, but FWIW, it is a super good product if anyone is interested. Absolutely NO dust at all.

Waddles
Party Poop-er

Post   » Mon Aug 29, 2022 10:08 am

How about UHaul? I have UHaul between 2 layers of fleece or you could simply put the fleece over the UHaul.
https://www.uhaul.com/MovingSupplies/Pa ... d/?id=2670

Some people like Guineadad's liners, pricey but an investment.
https://guineadad.com/products/guineada ... 0400960600

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Mon Aug 29, 2022 10:37 am

I have been thinking about those, Waddles (UHaul pads). Are they had to launder?

Good to see you, by the way... ;)

Waddles
Party Poop-er

Post   » Mon Aug 29, 2022 8:55 pm

I just toss them in the wash. No worse than towels.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Aug 29, 2022 10:27 pm

Yes, always nice to have you stop by!

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Wed Aug 31, 2022 9:47 pm

Another option might be the chenille bath mats they sell at Target. They are inexpensive and absorbent but the chenille keeps the surface dry. I use the small chenille mitts from the Dollar Tree for little pads. I sew up the wrist part. Gidget likes to burrow and I don’t need to find her in a panic with a mitt on her head.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Wed Aug 31, 2022 10:47 pm

"I don’t need to find her in a panic with a mitt on her head."

Indeed not! :o

One thing I am noticing, is that a lot of the piggy towels are starting to look threadbare. It's not too noticeable unless I hold them up to the light, but they are looking pretty thin in places. That could be why I'm noticing more wetness, since the fleece has less of an absorbent surface to wick down into. Might look into getting a few more of the thicker ones from Big Lots to swap the worst ones out with, and see if that helps.