Jet and Joan

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Sun Dec 11, 2022 2:26 pm

Sounds like she's improved some since Friday.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Sun Dec 11, 2022 8:47 pm

I thought she had too. But has become more floppy when held, head/side tilt-if you blew at her she might fall over. But still eating and takes syringe happily. In 3 hours off to vet will update more then. Don't think Meloxicam did anything! Thanks Bookfan!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Dec 11, 2022 9:17 pm

Hoping she improves!
Let us know what the vet thinks.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Mon Dec 12, 2022 1:17 am

Saw a different vet. Joan's temp was 39.9C so had gone up. Going by Joan he feels she has meningitis. She is on Baytril seems Baytril and Flagyl will penetrate the brain.for 5 days, Meloxicam, and of course Pron8ture.

Keep you posted. Thanks Lynx!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Dec 12, 2022 7:49 am

I don't recall any guinea pig being diagnosed with meningitis on the board previously. I hope the antibiotics bring down the inflammation, whatever the cause.

Here is what the Merck manual has to say about inflammatory conditions like this (long article, I did not read the entire thing). At the top of the page they list the contents as Etiology and Pathogenesis, Clinical Findings, Diagnosis, Treatment, and highlight "Key Points". It sounds like it can have many causes and there can be relapses in some cases.

Meningitis, Encephalitis, and Encephalomyelitis in Animals
https://www.merckvetmanual.com/nervous- ... in-animals

And on The Guinea Pig Forum in the UK, one poster discusses this.
https://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/thr ... gs.151416/

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Mon Dec 12, 2022 10:48 am

Oh dear. I hope she improves. Daughter #2 is concerned too. I didn't tell daughter #1 - she gets too upset,

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Mon Dec 12, 2022 7:03 pm

I hope she responds well to the antibiotics. As Lynx said, this is a fairly rare but potentially dangerous disease for guinea pigs, and if she were my pig I'd also want to try to figure out how she contracted it and whether or not any of the other pigs are at risk, too---either from exposure to Joan, or to whatever the original carrier was (do you have mice?).

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Mon Dec 12, 2022 9:26 pm

Thank-you Sef. What ever Joan has I am glad she is on antibiotics to try and get temp down. All girls live alone, boys for now live together. Last mouse caught was around June 2022. I am keeping a close eye on Joan. She's in a wash basket sitting next to me and at night she comes to bed with me. Keep you posted.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Fri Dec 16, 2022 1:17 am

She was happy with Joan that even though she had lost 40grams in 5 days temp had gone down point 5C 39.9C to 39.4C.
I put her on floor and she slipped, slidded away on the floor-which was lino. Body tilt one minute to left next to the right.
She goes back in 7 days, at disgusting hour of 12.20pm when one goes to bed at 3.00am. Not eaten on her own for 3 days will have to give more by syringe! Keep you posted.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Dec 16, 2022 8:18 am

You are an experienced hand feeder! Hoping she can recover.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Sat Dec 17, 2022 9:41 am

Forgot to mention she mentioned if no improvement by Friday she advised a Cortisone injection that vets use on dogs and cats. She made no mention the name. I just didn't like (a) it was for dogs and cats and (b) she is on Meloxicam surely a few days break before the Cortisone would be warranted? Thanks Lynx.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sat Dec 17, 2022 3:37 pm

Cortisone is cortisone is cortisone. It's not made particularly for dogs and cats, although that may be who it's advertised for. The cortisone given to animals is the same stuff given to humans.

Meloxicam and cortisone can interact, although not rated in the serious interaction category. It would probably be safer to wait at least 24 hours after the last meloxicam dose before giving cortison.