Gidget Medical Thread

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Tue Jul 26, 2022 9:15 pm

Oh shoot, yes---I hope they can figure out what's going on. I have had to do that, too, in a pinch (drop them off and let the vet see them between other clients).

Please do keep us posted tomorrow. I will have fingers firmly crossed here that the vet can get this figured out.

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Wed Jul 27, 2022 10:12 am

Well, the vet called and they plan to do an X-ray to see what’s going on. She said her head tilts left but I didn’t notice that. They have to anesthetize her for good X-rays, they’ll give her pain meds, and they recommended blood work. It’s likely she’ll get oral antibiotics instead of the topical that we’ve been using. If it’s something chronic she said it can be managed but not cured, I’m not sure what management means. So I can pick her up late this afternoon.

In the meantime I’m cleaning her cages and bedding.

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Wed Jul 27, 2022 6:31 pm

She’s home with a voracious appetite. The vet says the x-rays show very chronic changes to her inner ear that are common in Guinea pigs and aren’t cured. She will need long-term pain meds and right now an antibiotic. She was prescribed meloxicam (0.27 mls of 1.5 mg/ml) once each day, and orabax (0.3 mls of 30 mg/ml) once each day.

So I‘ll have to keep an eye on her and see if she feels better.

One thing that is new, she found her voice. Usually she just walks around kind of mumbling to herself but never really whistles. Tonight for the first time, she flat out wheeked for a piece of carrot. So I guess she’s tired of the poking and prodding and it’s time to make some demands.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Wed Jul 27, 2022 7:02 pm

Aw, I'm glad she is home and eating well---and demanding food! :) I hope the Orbax, coupled with pain meds, will help get this cleared up finally.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Wed Jul 27, 2022 7:57 pm

She's wheeking!! Always a good sound.

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Wed Jul 27, 2022 9:03 pm

She’s really wiped out tonight and she looks kind of puffed up. She’s sleeping on my lap. I massaged her tummy, she only had one poop since we came home. So hopefully once she starts moving around more, digestion will follow. The clinic already called to check on her, and said they’ll call again tomorrow.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Jul 27, 2022 10:06 pm

I sure hope the meds work too! Sounds like she will be a demanding patient!

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Thu Jul 28, 2022 4:35 pm

How is she today?

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Thu Jul 28, 2022 10:04 pm

Things aren’t going well today. She’s not eating, just picking at hay, so she’s not pooping near enough. She had a little corn husk and lettuce this morning but she’s only interested in fresh grass tonight.

She was wobbly this morning and rolled on her side when she took a run around the corner of her pen. She gets right back up, and she’s not circling or eye-rolling, but I think it scares her.

She spends too much time laying down, but she probably feels more grounded. When she looks up, she moves her head like she’s dizzy.

I got a tablespoon of CC with vitamin C and probiotic into her today. I’m going to try floor time tonight and see how she moves. She needs to get some exercise and get the digestion going. Then we’ll have more CC.

I talked to the clinic and they said if she’s not better tomorrow to call them. They thought it might still be after effects of the anesthetic, but I think it’s the dizziness that’s keeping her from eating. She’s only had two doses of Orbax so I doubt she’s reacting to the AB.

Any suggestions or tips you can share would be appreciated.

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Thu Jul 28, 2022 11:00 pm

Today’s Headline: Floor time causes Gidget to stress-poop!

She doesn’t care for floor time, so we don’t do it too often. She chortles and keeps moving around the grid fence trying to find a way out. And tonight that caused her to poop a few times. Which must have made her hungry because she nibbled some hay.

More stress occurred when a paper bag landed next to a hidey and the bag contained hay. Then some thin blades of fresh grass showed up.

Hopefully all this activity will be beneficial. She’s moving well tonight, but evenings seem to be better than mornings.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Fri Jul 29, 2022 5:01 am

This is so perplexing! Hoping that the Orbax kicks in and knocks this out, if it's an infection. I think I'd go ahead and push CC if she still doesn't seem too interested in food this morning. Do you have any Reglan on hand in case you need to help keep things moving?

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Fri Jul 29, 2022 1:53 pm

First thing this morning she got meds and about a teaspoon of CC with vitamin C. Not interested in fresh grass or corn husk, but she did eat some lettuce. I feed something fresh after a few syringes to make sure she’s swallowing the CC okay.

She’s mostly laying around picking at her hay. We were gone for a couple of hours and came back to lots of poops in different parts of the cage, so food is moving through her system and she moved around some.

Here’s my confusion and my frustration: I phoned the clinic to ask how long it takes for the Orbax to start working on the inner ear infection and when I should see an improvement in her dizziness. Their answer: It may not improve. It may be chronic and can’t be cured but can be managed. Her head tilts slightly to the left and that’s probably permanent.

I must be a slow learner here, but if she has a chronic infection that won’t improve, what is the Orbax for, and what does “managed” mean? The vet isn’t available today but they’ll have her call me tomorrow.

As you can tell, I’m a little irritable. I know it’s only been 3 days, but I just spent over $600 on vet expenses and it seems they’re telling me this is the best her life is going to be.