Neely and her babies.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Sep 04, 2021 9:15 pm

Sounds like there will be some broken hearts when some of the guinea pigs find new homes.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Sun Sep 05, 2021 2:25 pm

The daughters are trying to figure out how to keep all 4. We're just about out of floor space & they're thinking about an addition making an L-shaped cage. If Toby's the only boy, we'd have to have him neutered. If a pig is neutered, is it 100% effective?

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sun Sep 05, 2021 6:51 pm

Yes, it's totally effective. But he does have to be several months old before he can be neutered, and you have to keep him separate for 3-4 weeks afterward until all the sperm die.

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Sun Sep 05, 2021 11:08 pm

Sounds like you’ll have to build tenements to keep all the piggies. I’m sure it will be hard to let any of them go.

Renonvsparky

Post   » Mon Sep 06, 2021 2:21 am

They're so cute. I couldn't part of with them so I found a way to keep them all. Since moving to Missouri, I've had two different techs at the vet ask me if I would sell any of mine. Of course the answer is no.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Mon Sep 06, 2021 10:43 am

The only way I'd feel comfortable with adopting out one of the babies is if someone at our vet wanted it. One of my daughters - the main caretaker - would be heartbroken to part with any of them, so they're all staying.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Mon Sep 06, 2021 11:44 am

Thanks for the info, bpatters. It will help us make plans.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Sep 06, 2021 10:33 pm

Ah. "...so they're all staying."

I thought it would come to this! May you have a happy, healthy guinea pig household!!

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Tue Sep 07, 2021 1:00 pm

The problem with this is Toby will have to live alone and we don't have room for a 2'x3'. We've got a rabbit cage on wheels that will do for the time being.

Neely's big adventure:
Big excitement last night. I went downstairs to do some laundry & there was an awful lot of squeaking. Then I heard some big sounds like something being shoved around. Neely had got into the adjacent cage with Fuzz & Vicky & they were chasing her around, making a lot of noise while they were at it. We had not successfully introduced Neely into their cage before she had her babies and she was not welcome.

So we knew she liked to get on top of the hut, but it was too far from the sides of the cage (by design) for her to get out. We couldn't figure it out. Daughter got busy clothes-pinning the towels that we have over the ends of the cage at small intervals. They had been secured with 4 clothes pins, 2 on each side, apparently loose enough for her to jump through. At some point daughter saw Neely try to jump from the house top to the triangular pad (didn't succeed) that has fleece strips attached. It's right at the corner & close to the top so we think she launched herself under the towel and into the next cage from there. She doesn't seem to be injured, but she's going to the vet on Thurs. with her babies. The fleece forest has been removed.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Sep 07, 2021 1:06 pm

Sooooo, was this a launch into a potential new social family
OR
an escape from whining pups and motherly duties?

[p.s. my mother once hid behind a door in the basement to escape her 10 children. I thought it was hilarious at the time, not understanding the pressures being a mother brings!]

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Tue Sep 07, 2021 2:58 pm

I think it was escape. She seems somewhat stressed but maybe we're just reading that in to her behavior. The babies venture out on their own more now, but I still see her running across the cage with 4 little pigs following spread around her back end like a skirt.

Your poor mom. I would have been a straight jacket. My sister & I used to fight, like all siblings. Sometimes my mom would loose it & we'd immediately forget what we were fighting about, join forces & run into our room & lean against the door so she couldn't get in. And yeah, we thought it was hilarious.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Sep 07, 2021 10:37 pm

Maybe you can grab the mom and give her some alone time with some tasty vegs? I bet she would love you/your daughters all the more!