Neely and her babies.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Wed Sep 08, 2021 11:35 am

Yes, daughters have decided to do that. She's just reached the point where she can be separated from her babies & not get agitated. Daughter has &been giving her critical care (she hasn't been holding her weight) and last night right before the feed, she snuggled in & rested her head on daughter's arm & licked her. They're going to give her solo time in addition to cc care administration.

Renonvsparky

Post   » Wed Sep 08, 2021 11:54 pm

Not everything about having to hand feed critical care is bad. Some of the best bonding between me and the guinea pigs I've had to hand feed has happened during the feeding sessions.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Thu Sep 09, 2021 12:54 pm

Yes! And the bonding seems to last even after we stop the critical care.

Renonvsparky

Post   » Thu Sep 09, 2021 2:34 pm

It made my last 10 months with Scruffy special. After he recovered and up until his passing were the best times I had with him. It was the same with BJ. I think you will find the same joy with yours as they continue to show you the love and appreciation they have for you after taking such great care of them.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Sep 09, 2021 10:12 pm

I wish we could talk my chicken that I cared for so diligently last year when she was attacked by fly larva and needed care inside for over a month into bonding with me. Perhaps my reward was that she recovered and gave me a bunch of eggs.

Renonvsparky

Post   » Thu Sep 09, 2021 11:11 pm

We're getting guinea foul to go with the chickens and goats. They're the best natural pest control. They eat ticks, flies and just about every nuisance bug there is.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Fri Sep 10, 2021 9:20 am

Renonvsparky, you do realize, I hope, that you'll never have another moment's peace and quiet as long as those guinea hens are alive. They're the noisiest creatures on the planet.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Sep 10, 2021 9:37 am

But so endearing! I have a nice quiet stuffed guinea fowl in the house. I think they are cool birds!

They can be vulnerable to predators. If raised from very young, you might be able to get them to go inside at night. They roost in trees.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Fri Sep 10, 2021 10:55 am

I was just reading about them - sounds like they can be useful!

Neely & her babies went to the vet yesterday. The babies are doing fine. The vet said Neely's doing better than she would have expected!

Toby was put into the rabbit cage today. He was upset as expected, wheeking & paws up on the side of the cage & frantically looking for a way back home. He is eating & drinking.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Sep 10, 2021 8:26 pm

Poor little Toby. Such is the fate of an only son! Sounds like he will need lots of holding and loving.

Renonvsparky

Post   » Sat Sep 11, 2021 8:13 pm

I'm actually counting on the noisy guinea foul to help ward off predators. Or at least let us know when one is around so we can take care of it.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Mon Sep 13, 2021 1:05 pm

Toby's adjusting. He still gets up on his hind legs to look through the bars at the other cage but he's not frantic. He seems pretty happy & has been popcorning. He has been getting extra attention, held a lot, etc.