The 3 (new) little piggies

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Fri Aug 26, 2022 10:58 pm

Could this be a sign from your Oreo? You thought you had no room for Buttercup and her pups. How much more would one piggy take? What I suggest is sit down with pen and papers write pros and cons. Discuss it with your family, look at your set up and then once gone through all of that make your decision with the knowledge you have achieved. Wish you luck what ever you decide! Very handsome boy! Hope he finds a loving home! Either way!

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Fri Aug 26, 2022 11:17 pm

I think he's calling your name. There's almost always room for one more pig.

Renonvsparky

Post   » Sat Aug 27, 2022 12:35 am

It would take $100 in gas, I'd have to get another of the big cages for him and totally rearrange my room. Even then I couldn't be sure there's a spot to put his cage. The biggest pro is that there's no shortage of love and care in our home. Like I said, why do I do this to myself?

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Sat Aug 27, 2022 1:19 am

Like I said, why do I do this to myself?

Because you have a big heart!

Now I am in Australia so not too sure on this. BUT if you post in Placements that there is a piggy in St Louis MAYBE there is some in or close to the rescue, then they will travel pick up piggy and then meet someone else, then someone else until you have piggy with you. They call it a piggy train! What have you got to lose? Can not the cage go on top of cages near window?
I have bought dog crates for the boys at $39.00 each. Maybe that would help for one piggy? At floor or grass time he could see other piggies?
This may help? https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R ... itleDesc=0
Or this one https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R ... e&_sacat=0

BUT have seen your handy work I am sure if you went and bought wire and metal base you could make a spiffy cage! Think about it! NO pressure! It is up to you!

Renonvsparky

Post   » Sat Aug 27, 2022 1:41 am

It's expensive for the gas and the cage, but not prohibitive. I could swing that part. As far as stacking the cage on top of the others, that would put it up so high that I'd need a stool or ladder to get him out. The only other option would be to sacrifice my bedside table and move my oxygen machine to my wife's side of the bed. Any other way would require totally rearranging the whole room and getting rid of at least one of the storage chests and finding different spots for the stuff on it.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Sat Aug 27, 2022 2:12 am

I don't know how heavy machine is I presume a C Pap machine? But couldn't cage sit on bedside table and machine on top of cage? OR Make a table for cage that sits over bedside table for cage to sit on? Would that work?

Renonvsparky

Post   » Sat Aug 27, 2022 3:43 pm

My oxygen machine is a heavy duty roll around condenser. It's a bit heavy. My sleep apnea is mild enough for a nose cannula to be effective as opposed to a CPAP. The beauty is that I have a mile of tubing for it (exaggeration, of course 😁). It can sit just about anywhere. We'll just have to make sure the tubing is placed in a way where we don't trip on it. The bedside table is another issue. I really depend on it. My lamp, cellphone charger and pistol (for home defense) is on it, along with a bottle of water I sip on through the night. Oxygen tends to dry out my nose and throat, even with the distilled water evaporator attached to the machine.

I'm still thinking about this. Oreo isn't going to be adopted before Monday, so I have the weekend to consider everything and plan for the extra cage if I decide to adopt him.

RubySimon

Post   » Sat Aug 27, 2022 4:40 pm

FWIW, I hope you make the decision to get him. I would hate to read that you passed on him and then in a few days you were very sorry you didn't get him. He looks adorable.

What if the tubing just went under the bed?

Renonvsparky

Post   » Sat Aug 27, 2022 9:12 pm

I have enough tubing to reach my bedside from anywhere in the house. I could run it over doorways, along base boards, along the ceiling or anywhere I need to for it to be safe and out of sight.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Mon Aug 29, 2022 5:03 am

Have you decided yet? Do you have room, time, expense? I have 8 I am alone and I am struggling. I NEVER counted on the 3 boys. They were a surprise. But no-one wants them so they have a home here and some how I will find a way!

Make the right decision for you. Make sure your current piggies will not suffer if you get another. Either way hope he finds a good loving home! Keep us posted! Bless you either way!

Renonvsparky

Post   » Thu Oct 06, 2022 3:26 pm

We're still reeling from the loss of Mr Bubbles and Gilligan is no exception. He and Mr Bubbles used to spend a lot of time next to each other. Their water bottles are right there next to each other. There's only about 3 inches of space between their cages; more than enough to socialize through scent. Any time one went to drink water, the other would drink too and then spend a few minutes visiting and sniffing each other out as best as they could.

Anyway, Gilligan looks a little depressed. He's spending a lot more time in his tunnel. Skipper seems unaffected, but Gilligan is definitely feeling it. He's eating and drinking fine so far, it's just that he's spending a lot more time hiding in his tunnel. We're going to have to help each other through this. I took him out to graze by himself so he could get his fill without having to complete for the best blades of grass. Believe it or not, even though there's plenty of long grass, Skipper would rather grab it from Gilligan that get his own. He seems content and is eating quite a bit of it. He'll be ok. It'll just take some time and we'll do it together.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Oct 06, 2022 9:41 pm

"Believe it or not, even though there's plenty of long grass, Skipper would rather grab it from Gilligan that get his own."
This reminds me of my chickens - no matter how happy they are with what they have, there will be another chicken whose pile of "treats" they want for themselves.

I hope Gilligan manages. Mr. Bubbles left a hole in his life too.