Jewel and Jinx's medical thread

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Wed Apr 12, 2023 8:11 am

Is it OK if I fed Jewel Lucerne hay for a week? They have meadow for bedding and normally the 3 adults get Timothy hay but all I have are crumbs. I ordered a bay online over a week go from NSW Sydney but won't come till sometime next week. I thought seeing as she is sick it might help her. Let me know if I shouldn't give it to her. No more than a week. Not that she's eating it.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Wed Apr 12, 2023 12:22 pm

She has had first dose and she hated taste. All I can do now is monitor her and her poops. Still yucky mouth syndrome at the moment.
No-one could help me with drug so I had to make the call and I decided to give it a go. So if something happens it falls on me. Keep you posted. Bactrim have none and 01.50am here all vets are closed! If affects poops will take her off it!

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Wed Apr 12, 2023 10:17 pm

OK, decided to take a break from GL as seems no-one but me is posting on my threads anymore. I joined GL for help and advice but have never felt so alone. To close one dose of medication upset her tummy and she has gone off it now. Waiting to hear from vet to see where we go from here. Well bye for now, I may return and I might not. Thanks for the past!

Lisa12

Post   » Thu Apr 13, 2023 4:09 am

HEre is this-i ve alreadypost it.. did you read it? Thats all i could find, sorry..
https://www.petceutics.com.au/prescript ... 100mg.html

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Thu Apr 13, 2023 4:40 am

That's fine! I contacted them and they said get back to vet. I wasn't having a go at you! Thanks for posting! Have decided Probiotic Pron8ture for tummy and am trying steam from boiling water for breathing. Thanks again!

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Thu Apr 13, 2023 4:37 pm

I can't believe it was so easy! I wrapped Jewel in towel, held her over saucepan with steam and within 24 hours breathing back to normal.

So far soaked grass in water and gave it to her and poops still normal. Just wish I had tried it BEFORE I bought a nebuliser.
Oh well, keep you posted, weighed this morning 5gram increase, I'll take what I can get!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Apr 13, 2023 8:51 pm

That is encouraging.

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Thu Apr 13, 2023 11:44 pm

Steam is very helpful. I put a container of hot water in the laundry sink, placed a grid over the top, wrapped Gidget in a towel and placed her on the grid, then draped a light dish cloth over the whole thing. It helped to clear her congestion.

Just be careful with steam because piggies can’t sweat, so they could get overheated. I kept my hand under the towel, and peeked in quite often to make sure everything was okay.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Mon Apr 17, 2023 10:18 pm

Thanks Lynx and ItsaZoo. Breathing all normal so have stopped the steam. But yesterday I had to go out and she only got one dose of Pron8ure and now mushy poops are back. Trying hard to fix this but so far losing battle. Have gone back to just grass, hay and pellets. If continues will break her heart and take grass away. Four days of normal poops miss one dose and mushy again. Thanks in advance.

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Tue Apr 18, 2023 11:39 pm

I would cut way back on the grass until she gets back on track. I know how they like their fresh food, but it can cause problems with digestion. Right now I’m giving very small leaves of lettuce, just a few bites, until the antibiotics are done.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Thu Apr 20, 2023 12:52 am

Thank-you ItsaZoo. Jewel is on Timothy and Meadow hay plus Oxbow pellets-which not eating the pellets. She gets Pro8ure twice a day but poops still mushy. If no better by tomorrow will try poop soup using Jay's poops. If no better after that will try someone else's. Keep you posted. She also gets Anise Critical Care 4 times a day.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Fri Apr 21, 2023 11:54 pm

Poops have some shape though at times they can be soft. Hoping we have turned a corner. Keep you posted.