The Legend of Barry Jenkins

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Thu Feb 11, 2021 11:41 pm

I don't know what to think about that. Wheat grass should be soft enough so that even if he has a sore spot in his mouth, I would think he'd try to eat. When they did the exam did they use a scope and take a really good look at the tissue in his mouth? And will he try to eat critical care if it's in a dish? If he just likes the taste of it, you might be able to put some on lettuce to get him started. When Lacey was ill and only wanted to eat corn husk, I sneaked pellets in them and rolled them up.

Renonvsparky

Post   » Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:24 pm

BJ's health has been declining rapidly over the last few days. It got to the point where I couldn't even get critical care to stay in his mouth. He was spitting it out and digging it out of his mouth, so I went to giving him half syringes with a little extra water. It's bad enough for me to get him to the vet. I almost wish I hadn't because I got the worst news.

In the time since his Jan 29 x-rays, his teeth have declined. The incisors are out of alignment and overgrown. His molars are unsalvageable. They're growing sideways over his tounge and obstructing its movement and his ability to grind up his food..They had to clean quite a bit of critical care out of the molars just to examine them. His digestive system is basically shutting down. His age and tough life before joining us have caught up with him and his body is failing.

He's lost so much weight that they don't even know if he'll survive the procedure to remove his molars because he's gotten so weak. Even if he does make it through the surgery, his digestion is still a big problem. He's not in pain, but the discomfort is substantial. Given his age, condition and prognosis, the vet recommends having him humanely euthanized.

I have a very heavy heart over this. They said that I can bring him home with some pain meds and sustain him with critical care through the weekend, or until the pain or discomfort becomes unmanageable, whichever comes first. He has an appointment for Monday, but I can bring him in before then if it gets to be too much. My plan is to make the most of the time I have left with him and give him as much love as I can. I'll be taking lots of pictures to remember him by.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:47 pm

I am so sorry! I have tears in my eyes just reading your post! But searching my heart it is over joyed as you gave that little guy, love, a for-ever home. A chance to enjoy the good things in life.

He in turn gave you a priceless gift! A smile and light heart full of joy. I can't imagine the pain you are feeling, you both have come so far in a short time.

When Jessie needed a tooth removed she was given 10% chance of survival, vet said she wouldn't make it. But she proved him wrong and lived another 5 years. But she was only 3 when she had the surgery.

Make some beautiful memories with your boy, give him a beautiful send off, and shower him with as much love as you can! Give him a kiss from me and the girls! Be kind to yourself you have done everything you can. Most importantly you gave him love and a home! Big hugs coming your way!

He has nuzzled into your heart and has claimed his little piece. He knows what it is like to be loved now and he has loved you! You will always be together! Nothing can change that! Know you did all you could as BJ knows that!

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Thu Feb 18, 2021 12:04 am

I am so sad to read this! You take such good care of your guinea pigs. BJ has certainly had a good life with you. He has been enjoying the love and attention and outside time. Take care of yourself and give BJ lots of attention and love.

Renonvsparky

Post   » Thu Feb 18, 2021 2:27 am

Thank you guys. I've been thinking about the timeline and reading back to try and understand how he declined so quickly. It's been almost a month since this started. BJ went from over 3 and a half pounds at the onset down to 2.3 today. His teeth were ok when the x-ray was taken. It seems like yesterday, but the vet pointed out that it was nearly 3 weeks ago. She believes that the problem with his teeth was caused by him not eating and using them. Couple that with his age and it makes more sense.

Speaking of his age, it really bothers me not knowing exactly how old he is. 13 months ago when I adopted him he was supposedly 3-4 years. That's not narrowed down very much. On his initial exam with a basic look at his incisors and not a thorough check of his teeth or blood work, the vet estimated him to be more like 4 and a half to 5. After looking at thoroughly them today and still no blood work, he's estimated to be close to 6. He's been largely unhealthy and in a bad environment prior to joining us. Nearly 4 lbs, in a cage with a mate that he fought with constantly and in God knows what kind of environment. Given that he had mites so bad, my guess is that it wasn't very sanitary.

I'm just hurting over this. Could I have done more for him? How could I have fixed his lack of eating so his teeth would not have completely deteriorated? Did his life run its full course and it's just his time? The biggest question is am I making the right decision having him put down? One thing I do know is that there's no way he's going through this alone no matter how painful it is for me. He loves me and I'll be with him until the end providing all of the love and comfort I possibly can.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Thu Feb 18, 2021 2:55 am

I am going through similar with Jill, Start of January she was 1020grams now just above 800grams. She was put on antibiotics and ended with mushy poops.

So far nothing has worked to fix these poops, which of course could be due to her teeth for now we are waiting to see what happens. Trying medication.

The questions you have to ask yourself is 1. Do you trust your vet? 2. Do you trust yourself? Then pick up BJ and look him in the eyes and ask yourself what would he want? Give him loads of cuddles, talk to him and see how you feel on Monday. Any questions talk to your vet! Sending big hugs, only you know what is right for BJ! Maybe do research would help? But BJ knows he is loved and he loves you!

Lisa12

Post   » Thu Feb 18, 2021 8:22 am

Well... iam not trying to be smart cause i know you are a lot older than me.

But I ve been in similar situation with my dear Lee..except he was younger..he was 4 at times and lived to 6.
On the day of operation he had 720g only:( the vet positive, really confident, experienced say he think he ll make it..andhe did..he took operation really bad and was put in incubator over night at vets..so he barely make it..but he did..over two years he had four surgeries on tooth. Cause this problems are often genetic so no matter how you try and we did it repeats.

I am not trying to say what you dojust sharing my experience..you never knowwhat outcome it will be and if somebody goes on the otherside during operation this is not painful for him ..and what a cool pig you have!!I

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Feb 18, 2021 12:08 pm

I am so sorry he has deteriorated so much. This is such a difficult time for you both.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:54 pm

If you are in doubt maybe get a second opinion? Maybe go for the surgery. Follow your heart and it will guide you! Jessie's surgery was nearly $1,000.00AUD just to give you rough idea. Good luck!

Renonvsparky

Post   » Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:55 pm

Very difficult. There's isn't a vet on duty Monday so they had to reschedule him for Tuesday. I don't know if he'll make it until then. I might have to take him in tomorrow or Saturday. The pain meds are keeping him comfortable for now and I can still get about 2ml of watered down critical care into him every couple of hours or so. That's not a lot. He's not totally lethargic yet but he doesn't have much energy. He mainly just lays there but he is somewhat responsive by raising his head to petting or when someone walks by. I spend a lot of time holding him and I have some cute pictures of him. I know he was sent to me a year ago to make sure his twilight years were spent free of the pain and suffering he went through most of his life and I've given him that. We'll see how tonight goes and make a decision in the morning on whether to wait for his appointment or take him in.

It's not just the cost of the surgery we have to consider. We also have to take into account his age, chances of surviving the surgery, current health which has deteriorated substantially and quality of life afterwards with no molars and being syringe fed for the rest of his life if he makes it through the surgery. Both cavy vets are in agreement on this. I'm struggling with it. On one hand, I really want him to live on, but not if it means that he's going to suffer.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Thu Feb 18, 2021 11:14 pm

Not questioning your decision but when damn vet removed Jessie's tooth (a) he saved her life but (b) broke her jaw in 3 places. She never ate again by herself again. This was when she was 3, she lived till she was 8 being syringe fed every 4 hours and believe it or not she was happy and lived it to the full! If at anytime she had become unhappy we would have looked at our situation. Thankfully we never had too!

Does all his molars have to come out? Can't they just be filed down? Email Pinta at ouridea@shaw.ca she was a great help with our Jessie, she maybe able to answer some of your questions and doubts. Like I said before follow your heart, look at BJ and you will know what you must do. Sending hugs.

Renonvsparky

Post   » Fri Feb 19, 2021 1:58 am

All of BJ's molars have to come out. At 6 years of age, it's very risky. If he survives that, there's still the problem with his digestion and his incisors. Watching him just sit there all shut down is painful to see. Especially after being used to seeing him try to interact with his neighbors, Sammy and Dean (who wanted little to do with him) before his move next to Oreo and watching him forage around his cage and just be a lot more active. It's becoming obvious that his body is shutting down, making it more apparent what must be done. It's not a matter of if, but when. It's got to be done before he starts suffering more than what can be helped with pain meds. I just wish it wasn't such a hard decision to make.