Jay and Jersey's thread

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Apr 11, 2022 9:19 pm

Valium is prescribed by a vet in specific doses to sometimes stimulate appetite.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Tue Apr 12, 2022 1:00 am

Is it safe to use? Safer than some of the medication my girls have be subjected too. Thanks Lynx.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Apr 12, 2022 10:59 am

You have to have a vet prescribe it to have it recorded in your guinea pig's treatment and to have the dose administered properly (the right amount).

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Tue Apr 12, 2022 7:33 pm

What hormone is good to use for behaviour? Something has to be used to calm her down. She is like a dog in season and wants to be with other pigs but when put in with one she just fights. So she is lonely but when she has a friend she fights. She is her own worse enemy. Thanks Lynx.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Apr 12, 2022 9:58 pm

From the ovarian cyst page. This should help with hormonal issues too.
For guinea pigs that are poor surgical candidates, hormone treatments such as HCG (human chorionic gonadotropin) may temporarily shrink ovarian cysts.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Wed Apr 13, 2022 2:12 am

Thanks Lynx. Just clarifying Jay has no cyst what she does have is bad piggy attitude! Will pass onto vet! Thanks again.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Wed Apr 20, 2022 12:22 am

Anyone heard of the hormone Gonadorelin. She would get 25ug then a repeat in 2 weeks. Would like opinions. Thanks. Google says it causes females to ovulate. I am not sure Jay needs help with that. https://www.google.com/search?client=fi ... onadorelin

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Apr 20, 2022 2:41 pm

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Wed Apr 20, 2022 7:53 pm

Would it not be better to get her eating first like putting her on Valium or something similar? Both vets are sure she has no cyst. Any hormone injection would be for behaviour only. It is I think getting her eating is more important. Thanks Lynx.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Thu May 12, 2022 3:13 am

Jay goes to vet next week for second hormone injection. I am not happy with this soft palette diagnoses as I thought to have it one had to be born with it yet Jay was just over 3 when breathing(like blocked nose) started.

I googled it and got these https://www.google.com/search?client=fi ... ft+palette. It just seems to me very strange for a guinea pig to have it. Remember these vets see 85% dog and cats and farm animals with sometimes wildlife. Not many guinea pigs, rabbits etc. Could it be anything else? When hand fed or eating by herself she does cough/ choke a little at times. I can find no lumps around throat/neck area. Thanks in advance.

When I see vet it is a different vet to get second opinion and see what she thinks.She is younger than first vet and may have idea? Plus she is more open to put details on VIN website!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu May 12, 2022 8:19 am

Not at all familiar with the soft palate diagnosis. But hope it helps get her the right treatment.

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Thu May 12, 2022 4:43 pm

I know how you struggle to get a good vet, I hope you can find one who can figure out what’s going on with your pig. I had never heard of this soft palate issue until you posted the link.