Jay and Jersey's thread

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Fri Apr 21, 2023 12:29 pm

The vitamin E oil on eBay is the same as what I bought at Walgreens, just a different brand. It will last a long time, very easy to use, no additives or chemicals. Good for your skin as well.

The Burt’s Bees beeswax lip balm with no color is what I used. It is pretty basic, nothing harmful in that.

I also think that Purelan lanolin cream would be good.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Fri Apr 21, 2023 11:52 pm

The beeswax I bought has vitamin E and peppermint in it. It is the plain one, others had fruit in it. Here is links. https://www.woolworths.com.au/shop/sear ... rts%20bees

One I bought. https://www.woolworths.com.au/shop/prod ... x-lip-balm I nearly bought the watermelon one. Thanks ItsaZoo.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Wed May 10, 2023 12:16 am

I inspected Jewel and Jay's feet today and to me it looks like they're got the starts of bumble foot. Since seeing vet 3 weeks ago have been using Burt's Bees Wax on all 8 paws but this does not seem to have made a difference. Jewel had a scab on one front paw. All 4 paws still very red on both pigs.

Vet suggested Lanolin but some ingredients in it not good for cavies. Am looking into vitamin E ointment. It mentions on GL to use a diluted solution of chlorhexidine then drying the foot and applying BNP twice daily. What ever I use they are NOT going to like it as they HATE their feet touched. It also suggests Baytril to kill any infection in the bone. But as Jewel still has mushy poops not keen on trying that. BUT poop soup appears to be working.

Happy to bring Jewel and Jay in if you wish. Give me 3 days notice as have run out of taxi vouchers and will need a ride from council. Prefer a dog free time that I can come in as find owners are very careless when it comes to their dogs.
For some reason not sure why but I have BNP in fridge. Been there for at least 12 months just not sure as to why it is in the fridge or who it was for. Thanks so much.

Would this be any good? https://www.superpharmacy.com.au/produc ... e723rVl0Tk

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Wed May 10, 2023 1:18 am

Above is copy of email I sent vet!

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Wed May 17, 2023 2:28 am

OK went to vets and both Jewel and Jay are in early stages of ulcers on their feet. Jay hind, Jewel front. Vet suggested using Ilium-Neocort. A small dab 1-2 times a day. Was wondering if anyone has used it? Currently using bees wax but vet said this makes foot soft where as he said we want paws hard. Appreciate any advice.

He also said for ulcers/bumblefoot first treatment is vitamin C supplement about 5mgs a day yet both are on Critical Care which has 10,000mgs/kgs. Jewel did get claws cut and nearly had lunch with vets hand but this time she was too fast. Weight at a lost 870g-previously 920grams 2 weeks ago.

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Wed May 17, 2023 12:29 pm

I have never used the Ilium-neocort. I looked it up and it contains hydrocortisone and neomycin. I would think a dot or two thoroughly massaged into the feet would be okay, as long as they don’t chew or lick their feet. One of the vets here told me I could use polysporin, which contains antibacterial, but only a dot and massage it in well.

As far as the vitamin C, I syringed drops mixed with Critical Care. I did the math a while back, but this was what I calculated: My package of CC says 1,500 mg vitamin C per kg. If I convert that to grams, it’s 1,500 mg vitamin C in 1000 grams of CC. When I weigh out a tablespoon of dry it weighs 10 grams. So for every tablespoon of dry CC, there should be 15 mg of vitamin C.

But someone should check my work.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Wed May 17, 2023 9:11 pm

as long as they don’t chew or lick their feet.

That's the thing both Jewel and Jay love a foot nibble. As for the vitamin C my Critical Care says 10,000mg/kgs. I would have thought this enough seeing as vet says extra 5mg a day. Thanks ItsaZoo.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Fri May 19, 2023 1:36 am

On GL's Bumblefoot page it says to wrap paw/s up. What type of dressing? What if your pig is a foot chewer? Is this bandage suitable? Thanks. https://www.superpharmacy.com.au/produc ... -365m?cart

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Tue May 30, 2023 3:21 am

There has been no improvement with feet so have bought the vitamin E lotion of Ebay and will give that a go. Thanks ItsaZoo.

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Tue May 30, 2023 10:22 am

I hope you find something that helps those feet heal.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Fri Jun 09, 2023 2:40 am

Vitamin E came today, will start tomorrow as already put bees wax on them for today. I have a question, I am wondering if the answer is the moisture?

Jemma use to do it to Jessie and now Jay does it to anyone sow I put near her-she goes straight for the eyes. Is it for moisture or is it a dominance thing? Thanks in advance.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Sat Aug 05, 2023 1:36 am

Woke up to Jay in pain. She is shifting her weight at the back half all the time and squeaking when peeing and pooping. She was alright when I went to bed. Would this be arthritis? Thanks guys. Have giving Meloxicam for now.