Unsure of what happened to my pig

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Fri Mar 10, 2023 10:19 pm

Both of those look like real BeneBac. The second one is the one I always used. It's much easier than the little tubes.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Mar 10, 2023 10:53 pm

The important thing will be the date. Probiotics have a shelf life so you want to make sure the seller has a fresh supply.

Lisa12

Post   » Sat Mar 11, 2023 5:05 am

Thanks both for the help! We ordered:)

Lisa12

Post   » Fri Mar 24, 2023 6:36 am

Update:
21.3. we went to get tooth trimmed all went very sucessfuly by an exotic vet which is alright, he helps us here and there.

24.3 urine check after 14 days of Marbocyl on dog clinic...full of baccteria still and leukocytes with no blood.
It should at last be better after 14 days.. ;(.
I made a call on old clinic my pigs used to went to for exotic. but the best vet that was always helping changed job 3 years ago(always remember him, when we are in trouble, but he was that good that i have this belive he will save all my pigs he saved Lee, and Irie alright, he couldnt save Galli, but back than i want save Galli too and i was all young and on fire so it brought me into my kneese and lower). They have some new vets..i dont know..the have the most medicine for pigs available, so its the best place to go for treating infections.

Not to mention exotic vet scene here for experienced pigs owner who always want the best for pigs here in Slovenia has been ever since the most accurately described as difficult, anway. And it aint getting any better-its worse. So, ItsaZoo i understand you 100000%, i can relate..

He ll probably be prescribed BActrim..whats left Tetracycline.. is anything else for urinary infection? If anyone knows, please...

We will start shilitong today-it can be used with Ab, right?(the first time we took it after AB)

Lisa12

Post   » Fri Mar 24, 2023 6:39 am

We have appointment on moneday..

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Fri Mar 24, 2023 6:49 am

Have you tried Flagyl or Doxy? Doxy very strong! These are what my vet prescribes when all else fails. Wishing you both luck! Good luck at the vet. https://www.guinealynx.info/uti.html

Lisa12

Post   » Fri Mar 24, 2023 7:17 am

Thanks for good wishes and informations. He had really awful reaction on Doxy pills once.. And i will check out Flagyl.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Mar 24, 2023 12:59 pm

How was the urine sample taken? Cystocentesis? (directly drawn from bladder) If not, there may have been contamination. Not to say there is no infection, just saying different methods of urine collection can have different results.

If you are looking at a urinary tract infection, Bactrim (trimethoprim sulfamethoxizole) is a generally a good choice.

Lisa12

Post   » Fri Mar 24, 2023 1:19 pm

Thanks for an answer. No, it was just floor catch same as always. we think cystocentesis is too dangerous. URine is quite smelly still. I dont know..he had clear results with the same method before.
We had bad luck and got some young rude vet today on dog clinic, but he said its quite a lot of bacteria(not just a few) like before Marbocyl.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Mar 24, 2023 5:32 pm

Ideally they would culture/identify the bacteria and use an effective (and safe) antibiotic.

Wishing you luck!

Lisa12

Post   » Mon Mar 27, 2023 10:35 am

So..we had this appointment. I ask young vet everything that i could that would help us and she answered it all.

However in short we got Marbocyl for additional 14 days. baccteria level is something in the middle-maybe shilintong is already working-i hope..i dont think this is the best but vet said she s got bactrim(didnt help at all at first time)-so we decided against it, Azytromicyn(its not best for UTI, i said i would maybe try, but she said chances to work are little), doxy(irie cant use it at all) or MArbocyl.

The wierd thing was i asked for Flagyl(used by different brand name, here), she called the main vet there i know very well(but he wasnt the good one that went to different job, he was the other one-it doesnt matter)-he is experienced but we never got along well and he said metronidazole doesnt help for UTI(huh, right, i didnt comment, but that was his oppinion-i belive it helped daisymay so maybe it would help us, too, but i checked its mainly for other infections, too), so we didnt get it..

However i dont even know if first time around it was MArbocyl that knocked out UTI or shilintong-it was combination. We also got meloxidyl and buscopan-it seems we have to knock it out ourselves again, too...oh well..swines united..we will be adding water and work our asses off to eliminate this in next 14 days. Thanks for good wishes. Hope somebody else will learn something from our topic, too, anyway..:)!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Mar 27, 2023 10:46 am

I can't comment on how well metronidazole might help your guinea pig, but there is some info here, along with a link to its use in dogs:
https://www.guinealynx.info/antiparasitics.html#flagyl

Did the vet consider culturing the bacteria to see what antibiotic might work best? The downside of doing this is you have to stop all antibiotics so you can get a good culture - perhaps losing valuable treatment time.