Peppa’s Possible Pyometra

JJGiebz
Make Good Choices

Post   » Mon Oct 01, 2018 5:56 pm

Peppa had another “episode” about ten days ago and has been in pain while peeing ever since. It was very clear this time, though, that the blood was coming from her urinary tract.

Gus has had very visible, bright red blood in his urine as well, so I took them both back to the vet today.

There is still nothing obviously wrong with either one of them. They both had updated urinalysis done today, both showed blood but no infection.

To date (since July) Peppa has had X-rays, an ultrasound, full blood work, and multiple urinalysis with all normal results except the blood in her pee. Gus had new X-rays done today which were clear, and he too has normal blood work.

I’m at a total loss, as is the vet. I switched them to bottled (RO) water, cut their veggies down to green leaf lettuce and red bell pepper (with occasional carrot/tomato treats), and I just don’t know what else to do.

Anyone else have experience with phantom bleeding?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:46 pm

I would have guessed stones for Gus. On rare occasions for a female, there can be a couple days of a very few drops of blood that may be related to a menstrual cycle. Nothing but stones comes to me for Gus though.

I hope you are able to get to the bottom of this.

JJGiebz
Make Good Choices

Post   » Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:59 pm

Thank you, me too! I fully expected Gus to need stone surgery.

Peppa’s bleeding has been more than a few drops. It’s almost as though she gets blocked up, starts bleeding, and then when she finally does pee, it’s very bloody. After your last tip, I kept her out of the cage during the last episode until she finally peed so I could check to see if she passed a stone. No stone. Nothing even unusual looking.

The vet is going to post their case on a message board for veterinarians (VIN?). She also mentioned a friend of hers who does a lot of research, who runs the message board incidentally, and said she would email him directly.

If we find anything out, I will be sure to share here!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:02 pm

It is possible Gus passed a small stone. Is he still bleeding or has it let up?

lisam

Post   » Tue Oct 02, 2018 3:28 pm

Doesn't sludge cause bleeding in some cases? Did any show up on his X-ray?

JJGiebz
Make Good Choices

Post   » Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:51 pm

Lynx I keep a close eye out for that but he is still bleeding as of this morning, so I don’t think he’s passed anything.

Lisa I thought the same thing about the sludge - he has always had gritty urine and sometimes he passes this thick, white pasty looking substance. The vet proclaimed his X-rays perfectly normal, though, and she said the sludge I’ve shown her isn’t concerning.

(Of course when they pee at the vet it’s perfectly clear - She has to use the microscope to see the red blood cells.)

Peppa has lost some weight (which could be related to my having switched their oxbow pellets to the garden variety) but other than that they are both perfectly normal. Chasing each other around my living room, peeing blood.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:54 pm

I think you are onto the cause if there is gritty urine. It will scrape the walls of a vulnerable urethra.

Weight loss can be caused by pain, too.

JJGiebz
Make Good Choices

Post   » Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:37 pm

I’m hoping that’s all it is and am open to any and all sludge reduction tips!

My vet was just at/somewhat in charge of a huge exotics conference where she noticed the Sherwood vendor. I asked her opinion with regard to the sludge-busting properties. She’s going to look into it and get back to me. She did note - and I had missed - that they have banana spelled wrong on the back of urinary supplement packaging. That gave me a chuckle.

Thank you all for the ears and shoulders. I think my co-workers are sick of hearing about guinea pig pee...

lisam

Post   » Wed Oct 03, 2018 3:49 pm

"Chasing each other around my living room, peeing blood"

I'm sorry, but this gave me a chuckle.

I've tried Sherwood, but my pigs didn't eat it. Lots of people do swear by it, though.

JJGiebz
Make Good Choices

Post   » Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:20 pm

@lisam I’m glad!! I have to laugh, or I’ll go crazy.

Based on this oxbow garden variety experiment, I have a feeling Sherwood pellets will not be popular around here, either.

JJGiebz
Make Good Choices

Post   » Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:50 pm

After extensive reading on this site and others, I decided that perhaps Peppa has a condition akin to IC. I’m not aware of any obvious signs from her ultrasound or X-rays, but I just don’t know what else it could be.

Two days after I suggested that to my vet, another vet responded to her VIN post and suggested IC.

After weighing all of the commonly discussed therapies, I started both Gus and Peppa on shilintong 6 days ago. The results were fast (and my apartment smells like an apothecary).

Gus has had no visible blood in his urine since the day we started twice a day “cocktails” (they won’t take it plain, but would cut you for it mixed with the smallest amount of critical care). Peppa stopped crying when both peeing and pooping, and she was dry nearly every time I picked her up.

Until today. After 3 or 4 days during which I thought we’d been saved, she has started crying again, primarily while peeing. Before moving on to my next possible therapy with her, I want to rule out a UTI.

Does anyone have any particular brand of at home urine test strip that they recommend? I foresee a lot of urinalyses in my future.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:48 pm

I take it you have increased fluids? I am sorry she is crying again. It is also possible grit or a stone is trying to pass. The shillintong is supposed to make passing grit and stones easier.