Are hay hammocks a potential danger?

couchon

Post   » Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:03 pm

I have had hay hammocks for years, but today something happened that makes me really uneasy. I am usually at work all day. By incredible luck, I took a sick day today. I was sitting on the couch, when I hear my pig squealing. She got trapped in one of the openings in the hay hammock. She kept trying to run and was just being pulled back by the straps. She tried it twice before I got to her. She seemed really panicked, and I don't know what would have happened if I wasn't there...

Has anyone had an issue like that before? I am really concerned.

AldenM1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:14 pm

What kind of hammock is it?

couchon

Post   » Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:20 pm

It's a fabric hammock that you hang off of a grid.

AldenM1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:23 pm

Is it one of Windespirit's? I always thought one of the neat things about her design was how the cross-strap things shift, so in theory nobody should get stuck in it.

couchon

Post   » Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:41 pm

Yeah, that's the one. The thing is, I hang it up from just one side, so all four clips are on the same side, on the same level - is that what caused it?

crazypiggie247
The Herd Of Wonders

Post   » Mon Apr 16, 2012 2:54 pm

Could the fabric be pulled too tightly?

I also use her hay hammocks, one that is 2 grids long and another that is the standard size. My girls are constantly laying in the hammock as well as poking their heads and upper half of their bodies in the various holes. I was worried when they started doing that but I noticed since all the fabric is very loose, the holes expand very easily. No one has gotten stuck and I've seen them in some bizarre positions.

couchon

Post   » Mon Apr 16, 2012 3:08 pm

What happened was that she stepped through one of the holes, so one of the straps was across her front/head. I think she then panicked. She kept trying to run to the front and just getting trapped by the straps and panicking more... I don't think that she couldn't physically get out - I think it's more that the panic set in, and she just kept trying to run, getting trapped and panicking more.

mkkayla
Supporter in '14

Post   » Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:11 pm

I just put my hay on the ground. they like to get under it, sit on top, etc. And I don't have to worry

Cinnabuns Legacy

Post   » Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:06 pm

I've started to just put my hay in dishes on the ground since even in a hay rack it just gets pulled down onto the ground anyway. Plus they really love burrowing in piles of hay sometimes.

crazypiggie247
The Herd Of Wonders

Post   » Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:12 pm

I recommend emailing Windespirit to see if she has any thoughts on the topic. Afterall it does concern her products. Plus she might be able to give you insight on a different way to hang the hammock.

All of my girls love being able to stand up and stretch for their hay. Putting it on the ground in the kitchen area only results in wasted hay since more gets peed on then eaten. Even though they pull some hay down, most of it stays up in the hammock. Only one of mine hangs down low enough for them to crawl through the other is up a little higher so they can sit under it and eat or stand up to reach it.

Aertyn

Post   » Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:57 pm

I started using the jenscustomcrafts hay hammocks, haven't had a single problem with them and since it's one 'large' triangle hole no chance of a paw or head getting stuck (an adult pig can actually fit into them though...found that out when I fell over a tub and sent all the spare grids flying into one another...scared the the bejesus outta them and Fizzy ended up stuffing herself into the hay rack...)

WindeSpirit
Sewing for a Cause

Post   » Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:47 pm

If a piggie is able to "step thru", it is not being used high enough. The lowest point of the hay hammock should be about head and back level.

I think you are using it like this, which is ok to.

It should be about this high though

This is to low

I do think you are right about your girl panicking Couchon and I'm really sorry she did panic. Because I tried, I really honestly tried to get T-Patch caught up in these for over 2 hours and all sorts of ways. He just pushed things aside with a turn of head or shake of paw and so did Snow and you know how paranoid I was everything was safe for her.

If you do need something you can use where your girl can walk in Couchon, give me a e-mail. I have one of Peppers old hay racks I'd be happy to give you I'm ready to part with now.