Rescues and Shelters

agatha

Post   » Thu Feb 06, 2003 11:23 pm

That's awesome, Charybdis. I'm glad that you two started opening the lines of communication- it can only lead to good things.

imanut4u

Post   » Thu Feb 06, 2003 11:24 pm

"So, although I still believe that the reaction here was a bit one-sided..."

Chary, perhaps it is "one sided" as I have been privledged enough to work and be educated by wonderful people in a facility that does indeed care. I've had a Humane Society director drive 130 miles (one way) to deliver 9 guinea pigs to me so she could personally check out my rescue.

I've talked to other facilities about what they require in order to work with rescue and been in those who can't wait to hand over a substantial number of animals to just anyone.

In retrospect, I should have probably specified that many of the poor rescue situations I've seen involve cats and dogs. Naturally, there are more uncontained (no cage) messes, more *required* fees for licensing, neutering, vaccines etc that don't get taken care of because the rescue doesn't have funds, etc etc.

I am sorry you had the frustrations you have encountered with these shelters, I'm sorry I added to your frustration by sharing the truths I see here on a very frequent basis.

Next time you are frustrated with them, try to remember they've been frustrated 100 times today okay?

Charybdis

Post   » Fri Feb 07, 2003 12:46 am

I understand that, i4u, but I also believe that, in order to not be part of the problem, they need to try to keep animals out of the hands of irresponsible people. So this includes screening (yes they are allowed to) and raising the adoption fee.

You sound like you work with a great humane society that really cares about the animals. Please try to remember that not all of them are like that. I know you see yourself as defending the good people who work in shelters. That's understandable. But let's not let animals get hurt because the less reputable shelters are too "frustrated" to deal with rescues or simply cannot be bothered.

Hopefully, I've put this in the least offensive terms possible.

imanut4u

Post   » Fri Feb 07, 2003 1:29 am

Not offensive at all Chary. One clarification, I work at a county "pound", the Humane Society was completely unrelated to where I work, but took the time to drive to check me out. I am sorry you don't see it the same, but I find checking out the rescues as being a positive, even when it's me. If you think about it, it's really not all that different than screening adopters. (which we cannot do, mainly for discrimination issues)

I do know not all shelters are good and believe me, I know not all care, especially about guinea pigs, but I will maintain it's our job, as the rescue to build the bridge and establish communication.

One facility cross state told me they planned to euthanize 11 pigs on "evidence hold" last fall, and I was told point blank that the director didn't care for guinea pigs, they're in rough shape, yada yada. Over the phone I did very little to change his thoughts after explaining several key issues that needed to be changed (wire bottoms, food) And these things weren't changed after dozens of phone calls.... www.geocities.com/jczmom/bear.html (happened at AC along with several 7 females getting pregnant while there)

Long story and a million frustrations, I was finally able to rescue these animals (after being checked out via phone reference from my AC). My friend and I went to this facility to pick up these animals (except one was left behind, in the wire bottom cage, for foster pick up)

I asked the foster what she thought about the facility only to find out that the guy we had giggled at only hours before (he put on HUGE leather gloves to help us load these guinea pigs into our carriers) had taken it upon himself to find a laundry basket after we left. He added the bedding & hay I left for the foster home and placed the little pig in there to wait for her ride, only a mere 2 hours from arriving.

On the one hand, I could have been pissed off that he didn't listen to me before, but as it turned out, he did hear me, then saw what we had set up. He did what he could then, better late than never.

If you are met with resistance, find out why and see if you can't turn it around. It may require jumping through hoops and answering questions; I hope that often it actually does, but remember, you'd do the same if they were to apply for your critters.

Charybdis

Post   » Fri Feb 07, 2003 4:46 am

I am sorry you don't see it the same, but I find checking out the rescues as being a positive, even when it's me.
I'd be delighted too, if they cared enough to check me out. So I do see it the same.

It seems that there is a basic misconception (based partly, no doubt, on experience with half-assed rescues who do more harm than good) that to go into a rescue is a last resort for an animal and that any adopter is preferable. I think you mentioned something like this before.

So that's what I was hoping to convince this woman of--that she had a choice when it came to who she gives these animals to. I'm sure that, after being in a job like hers year in and year out, you could become convinced that nothing you do makes a difference.

gracielee
Me, too!

Post   » Fri Feb 07, 2003 10:37 am

Chary,

Good for you! You went back and tried to change the situation, and it sounds like it worked! I think longevity is the key. The longer they see you, the more of a fixture you become, and the old employees will train the new ones that you are ok, you are just part of "the works".

I've been trying to work with the shelter the next county over for a year now, and they still won't release guinea pigs to me-- of course, they say they haven't had any surrenders . . .

I finallly got permission to be on their "educator" list for HRS, not for guinea pigs. So, we are trying a new tactic. We go once a month and help work with the puppies, in order to get to know the permanent staff better. We go once a week when they have rabbits to bring hay, veggies and do floor time. I am hoping over time I become more of a fixture and less of an oddity. So far, the one time I've tried to send an adopter for a rabbit, they told me they'd hold the rabbit, and after she made a 3-hour drive, she arrived to find they had adopted it out.

It's annoying, the staff are rude and less than friendly most of the time, but I don't know of any other way to change things than to tough it out.

imanut4u

Post   » Fri Feb 07, 2003 11:20 am

"of course, they say they haven't had any surrenders . . ."

You can send in a Freedom of Information Act request to find out how many guinea pigs have gone through.

gracielee
Me, too!

Post   » Fri Feb 07, 2003 12:43 pm

Okay, I'll profess ignorance, where does one get a Freedom of Information Act? I know what it is for, but I didn't know it was a paper thing ?

They may really not have had any. I don't know. All of the pet stores in this area will take owner dumps. It's pretty sad. One pet store will call me for anything other than babies-- they sell the babies very quickly, so won't give them to me. I figure saving some is better than none. One pet store I've been banned from in writing for turning them in on several occasions. The other 3 store's managers weren't interested in what I had to say.

imanut4u

Post   » Fri Feb 07, 2003 3:52 pm

They should have the appropriate form on hand for you, if required. Some require you complete the form, others just want a hand written note explaining what you are requesting. There is a minimal charge per hour for research and a copy fee per page if you're requesting photocopied info. As long as your request doesn't violate any privacy acts. (example, the name on a complaint or info on a specific animal that was a private surrender, would result in the name, address of the complaintant or surrender being blacked out)

Calling and saying you'd like to submit a FOIA on the number of rabbits, guinea pigs, dogs whatever may result in them just telling you over the phone depending on how their record keeping is (software vs. paper). Paper records may take awhile!

gracielee
Me, too!

Post   » Fri Feb 07, 2003 9:27 pm

Will see what I can find out tomorrow--it's puppy day (my motherly way of trying to soothe the child's need for a puppy and my aversion to owning one. Nothing against dogs, it's just the animals already in residence are "prey" and dogs are definitely "predator")