URGENT - 9 PIGS IN MARTINEZ CA, to be put down within 2 days

Teresa

Post   » Thu Jan 30, 2003 10:10 pm

I received an email about 9 guinea pigs scheduled to be put down in two days at the Martinez Animal Shelter.

Martinez is about a half an hour north of San Francisco near Concord.

http://www.adoptspot.com/shelters/martinez_as.html

I can't take them.

Charybdis

Post   » Fri Jan 31, 2003 11:29 am

Teresa, wish I could help but I'm full. I will cross-post on The Bunny Bunch forum and see if I get any replies. They have a chapter up there.

Teresa

Post   » Fri Jan 31, 2003 11:34 am

Just checked in with the Shelter. They are scheduled to be put down on Sunday, Feb 2nd.

Sounds like they are a young group, have NOT been sexed and are living together. They don't know much.

They were DUMPED IN A NIGHT DEPOSIT BOX on Jan 21st.

Charybdis

Post   » Fri Jan 31, 2003 11:38 am

Ok, I posted on the message board requesting temp. fosters. If they can be fostered for a month, I could take them then.

Teresa

Post   » Fri Jan 31, 2003 11:41 am

How are you going to get them if the fosters come through?

Charybdis

Post   » Fri Jan 31, 2003 11:45 am

I'll probably appeal to Valerie again. She makes regular trips down here.

If someone can foster them until April, even better--many BB members are coming down from No. CA on April 5 for the Orange County Pet Expo. I know that Val is coming for sure.

Teresa

Post   » Fri Jan 31, 2003 11:53 am

Well, the problem is that it's pretty much a guarantee that there will be young pregnant sows in the group.

And they'll have to be pulled from the shelter today or tomorrow.

Charybdis

Post   » Fri Jan 31, 2003 12:02 pm

Yes, the pregnant sows was a given. I have a nice foster home for pregnant sows.

It's at least a straw to grasp at, don't you think? Best case scenario: someone could foster until April 1 when I move into a larger place. Second choice: someone could foster until March 1 when I have some cages opening up.

I know you hate trying to coordinate these long-distance things. But it did work out last time, right? 6 of those PHS pigs have been adopted already into nice homes.

But it is awfully short notice, I agree. So if you don't want to go this route, let me know.

Teresa

Post   » Fri Jan 31, 2003 12:10 pm

It's just that I'm between business trips right now. Have a ton of work to do to catch up. Today I'm working on work work. Tomorrow I have to clean cages. I could maybe go up Saturday or Sunday and take them to another bay area person.

I can't take them here. You'll need to get a foster lined up either here or down there with transport. At this very minute, I need to get back to work, but I agree, time is short.

That shelter is not very cooperative. AND, I can't believe it, but they do absolutely NO screening on adoptions. Anyone can walk in and adopt any animal if they pay the fee.

Charybdis

Post   » Fri Jan 31, 2003 12:26 pm

I sent a message to Val.

I've already had 1 offer of a foster home down here. The Bunny Bunch has a chapter in Concord so I will see if anyone else up there can help.

I'll get back to you as soon as I have either a firm yes or no.

briana d

Post   » Fri Jan 31, 2003 12:45 pm

I'm going to Fresno Sunday morning. If I can be of any help let me know.

Charybdis

Post   » Fri Jan 31, 2003 12:55 pm

Ok, it's a go. Val is going to pick the pigs up today and Caroline is going to drive them down here on Saturday. I will get them Sunday from her. I have 2 fosters lined up.

Teresa, Val doesn't have the nonprofit letter with her and is going to the shelter this afternoon. So hopefully they will release the pigs to her with no problems.