Cystorelin & Shedding?

+allon+

Post   » Thu Feb 29, 2024 10:00 pm

My sweet senior sow (nearly 8 years old) began developing small mammorian cysts around 6 months ago and now gets an ultrasound and Cystorelin injection every 3 months as per vet's orders. They have significantly shrinken in size and she's never shown any change in behavior- only symptom was enlarged nips. She's a very healthy happy girl.

However, with each injection, she sheds significantly 1-2 weeks after. I know it's a hormonal injection so things like this are expected, and honestly I'm not concerned. I'm just curious if others have noted the same!

Ps: i cant figure out how to add a picture lol.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Feb 29, 2024 11:00 pm

I think it's reasonable to think she would shed after using cystorelin. I can't find anything on the board or online that would confirm that though.

As for a picture, people generally use flicker or imgur for their images. If you have a clear crisp picture to illustrate a medical condition, I can also add it for you.

Rome_Italy

Post   » Sat Mar 02, 2024 5:27 pm

one of these days I am going to write a post for sharing the story of my young sow Maya, 3 y.o. next April; she had to undergo the major surgery of splenectomy last October (succeeded perfectly) but she still has two little ovarian cysts which secerne hormones causing crusts on nipples and flank hair loss. Another procedure is too dangerous now and I insisted for getting the prescription of Cystoreline, although the vet (considered the best one in Italy) had never tried before this treatment. I contacted by email Dr Jorge Mayer, he confirmed all the info I had taken from this forum and Maya had her two shots, the last one 2 days ago. The only change I see by now is about her behaviour: she has stoped mounting the other sow. Hair loss is still present and I guess it is due to the major surgery, too (the hair loss started after the surgery along her spine). But she is doing fine, just like your sow.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Mar 02, 2024 5:52 pm

Thanks for sharing your experiences, Rome_Italy. A splenectomy is indeed major surgery and tricky. Very happy to hear it succeeded.

It would certainly be helpful to future readers if you wrote up a case study with all the details. You could post it in the medical forum and I could copy it to the Records forum (more condensed and easier to look up info).