Jay and Jersey's thread

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Tue Feb 20, 2024 6:55 am

This one? https://www.chemistdirect.com.au/pharma ... gKWePD_BwE I have no vet and am I I
I have no vet and am left trying to do my best for my babies. Thanks Lynx.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Thu Feb 22, 2024 6:06 am

Don't ask me how but Justice got out and got into Jay's pen and they must have fought whilst I slept. I am lucky Jay is still alive she was/is a mess!

One of her eyes is bulging, she has a fat lip with cuts/bite marks, and a toe on hind leg/foot just dangling. I am bathing the lip and eye with just water, the eye I will add twice a day eye ointment. The toe I have no idea what to do for that. If I bandage/splint it I might cause more harm. If I leave it the way it is it could die. I believe in trying to get away she may have got it caught in her bedding.

I do NOT have money for a vet and even if I did NO vet would see me except perhaps one who knows absolutely nothing about cavies. Poor Rosie went through many surgeries due to fatty lumps when she didn't need too. Then when she went off her food he said to put her in dark room leave her alone and she'll be better in the morning. This was before I knew better. I am such a bad piggy mum. They deserve better than what I can give them!

What would you do please? Sometimes I think the piggies would be better off with someone who can afford medical bills. But I didn't expect this to happen.

Sorry for being a pain. Could be wishful thinking but I think Jewel's feet look a little better. Thanks in advance.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Feb 22, 2024 8:25 am

All the advice I have is contingent on seeing a vet who can evaluate medical problems and provide pain medication and antibiotics if needed.
Pull from the medical pages whatever info you can but I cannot advocate for not seeing a vet.

Most importantly, monitor for infection and pain. Reread everything on soaking the foot to try to prevent infection.

https://www.guinealynx.info/pain.html
https://www.guinealynx.info/antiseptic_solutions.html
https://www.guinealynx.info/eyes.html
https://www.guinealynx.info/feet.html

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Sun Feb 25, 2024 3:21 pm

Thanks lynx. Not sure what soaking foot would do for dislocated or broken toe? I was giving Jewel Pron8ure that expired September 2023 but has been in fridge ALL the time. Is it safe to use??? Jay is now hard to feed-Maybe because she is on Meloxicam.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Feb 25, 2024 8:14 pm

If the Pron8ure was open, throw it out.
Soaking the foot would help prevent infection. She was badly injured. There may be a bite or break you do not see. Soaking will help with swelling.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Sun Feb 25, 2024 9:46 pm

I opened the pron8ure around August 2023. When I got it it was sealed but only had 6 weeks before expiry date. Thanks Lynx. The foot just dangles. Will start salt soaks today.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Feb 26, 2024 9:21 am

If the foot dangles, it sounds broken or at least dislocated. Do you see any puncture of the skin? Is there any swelling?

You really need to see a vet.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Mon Feb 26, 2024 8:08 pm

I will be seeing vet next week. Sadly not a cavy vet but he is only one available. There is no swelling but is a small bruise/blood mark near the toe/claw. No puncture of skin.

When Jan passed I complained concerning vets treatment so now have very few vets open to me especially when I don't drive. Thanks Lynx.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Mon Feb 26, 2024 10:08 pm

After bathing foot a few times it has swelled up. Doesn't seem to be bothering her unless I touch it. Thanks again Lynx.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Sun Mar 17, 2024 2:41 pm

I got up at 4.00am to feed Jay. She was behaving strangely. To cut a long story short Jay has crossed the bridge. I am devastated! I am sitting here staring at her. I can't believe it! Will add more later.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Mon Mar 18, 2024 4:30 am

JAY

17/01/2019 to 18/03/2024

Jay my darling we have been through so much together, you were always there for me giving me comfort and love and yet when you needed me most I failed you. I will carry the guilt with me forever. Stay with me and lets complete my journey together.
When you first came you were just a bundle of fur that melted our hearts which you latched onto. When my ex left you took his place and became extra important to me. I syringe fed you for over 3 years and if possible we grew closer together than we ever did before.
You became and important part of my life syringe feeds 4-5 times a day. You gave me a purpose in life and helped me not feel alone.
RIP my Darling be with me now and always. Again I am truly sorry for everything my sweet pea! Lick my salty tears away and make me smile like you did a million times before! Never far from my dreams and thoughts!

Image First day we got her Feb 2019

Image Found you loved couches where you'd torment Jewel
2019 by standing on your hind legs peeking at her.

Image Loved sitting on couches too 2019.

Image You saying shut up and feed me 2020.

So sorely missed and now just have my tears to comfort me. I am so lost with out you in my life. Do me a favour and behave at the bridge!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:43 am

I am so sorry to hear of your loss! Sometimes illness sneaks up so quickly. You have my sympathy.