Adoption Advice Needed

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Wed May 24, 2023 12:15 am

If the 3 of you are happy with therm living alone then why rock the boat? All my girls alone, they can see eachother through barriers and seem happy enough to me.

When I said lap time I was thinking both girls together with you being referee. With treats to take their mind of each other.
I was an only child too but this is because dad passed before I was 2 and mum never remarried. My grandparents also bred dogs-fox terriers.

My vet believes perhaps hormone treatment will calm a bad tempered piggy. But I have never tried it. I use hormone treatment when it is needed not because girls are being little witches.

Renonvsparky

Post   » Wed May 24, 2023 7:09 pm

So goes the theory that sibling guinea pigs always get along fine. My boys, Kahlua and Jack are litter mates and they get along great. Muffin and Ruffles did too until Ruffles became ill. It was then that Muffin kept her pinned in the corner and nipped at her if she moved. I only let that go on for a few minutes before I put Ruffles in the hospital cage. I had read that some animals will attack and try to pick off sick members of their group, but I didn't think guinea pigs did that.

Anyway, I'm sorry the sisters don't get along. I hope you can get that worked out for both of them.

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Wed May 24, 2023 9:39 pm

With a grid between them and some fleece fringes, they both seem more relaxed. They stretch out and sleep. One of them relaxes out in the open, the shy one even sleeps in front of the cage instead of hiding under blankets in the back.

They can see each other, and they choose opposite corners to lie down and sleep. Reminds me of a boxing ring with the fighters in their corners.

I’ll have them for a while yet, I completed a surrender request and with the holiday weekend it will likely be next week before they go back.

In the meantime, the 6-month-old at the humane society was adopted. Hope she got a good home.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed May 24, 2023 11:00 pm

Glad to hear they have calmed down for now, even if it is separated.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Wed May 24, 2023 11:32 pm

likely be next week before they go back

Why would they need to go back? Given time they may settle down. After all they have calmed with a barrier between them. I know after 2-4 weeks I couldn't part with them. Maybe that's why I have 8 piggies. All the girls are on their own but boys are all together.

I am not sure how old they are but maybe they are feeling hormonal? They can be real little witches when that happens. But then so can boys!

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Thu May 25, 2023 1:59 am

They are about 3.5 or 4 months old.

I just don’t think they want to be together. When they see each other they chatter a warning, and if one puts a nose through the divider, the other one backs away into a corner and chatters. I have never seen them lie next to each other, and food really sets them off rumbling. I can’t imagine how they were living together.

Right now with the cage divided they each only have about 4 sq feet of space. Since they’re still skittish in a new place I’m not too worried about it. Long-term they would each need more room.

They’ll be here for a few more days so we’ll see if anything changes.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu May 25, 2023 9:27 am

I can see how this would also be stressful for you - since you want your zoo (where it makes sense) to get along!

I think of aggression sometimes linked to pain (undiagnosed mites, for example) but I'm sure you've considered this and they are healthy.

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Thu May 25, 2023 6:21 pm

Stressful is right. I’m thinking of them when I go to bed at night, waking up early wondering how they are. Considering keeping one so she can have the posh life.

Yesterday we had some appointments. I was getting ready, I applied some leave-in hair conditioner, and then realized I had just put face lotion in my hair. The lotion bottle was still on the counter, my skin still felt dry, and my hair seemed kind of limp and difficult to style. 🙄

Renonvsparky

Post   » Thu May 25, 2023 8:29 pm

Better to confuse face lotion with hair conditioner than to confuse hair remover with it. Just a little humor to lighten things up LoL. I honestly hope things get better for you. Guinea pigs are supposed to relieve your stress with their cuteness, not cause you stress. Recognizing that they are better off in someone else's care and giving them up is to be respected. I know it must be hard for you, but if you know in your heart that you're doing right by those girls, well then I commend you.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Wed May 31, 2023 6:19 pm

What has happened with the girls? Any updates?

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Wed May 31, 2023 6:19 pm

We returned the sisters to the rescue today. I’ve been in contact with the foster so she knows the situation. The aggressive one would chew the bars and push her head through the grids to try and bite her sister. They chattered and rumbled, it was awful.

So we started out with them in a carrier with blankets to separate them. We ended up going back home and loading a small cage in the truck so we could separate them, they were fighting so bad. When we met the foster I told her about it and she had a carrier that could be divided. She said she had plenty of cages, they’d be separated and put up for adoption as singles. I was so relieved. I seriously considered keeping one to protect her from her sister.

Then we went out to lunch and stopped at the metro animal humane society and ended up adopting Millie. She is 1 yr and 4 mos. old and was surrendered due to a divorce in the family. She’s fully vetted, treated for mites, nails clipped, and they have a 60-day return policy and area vets offer a free checkup in the first 30 days.

She’s a chub compared to the small ones I’ve had, but she seems to be relaxed and social. So that’s my adventure story for today.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Wed May 31, 2023 6:21 pm

We posted at same time. So sorry the babies didn't work out. Pictures of all 3 please.