Local pet store piggy needs help.[San Diego,CA]

Peanutpiggy

Post   » Sun Feb 26, 2023 12:52 am

Hi. Hope everyone is staying warm during this snow/rain.

I dropped by local pet store the other day and I saw a boar piggy.
He didn't seem too well just by a glance. His eyes were closed and was not eating much because the bowl was full of pallet.
Long nails indicates that it has been a while for him to be in the store..

I was concerned and go back the next day. He was still there, same spot, posture... seemed no energy to move...
I really wish I could take him but I have no capacity to take him home.

I took some picture of him and wondering if there is anyone in San Diego can take him?
I reached out to local guinea pig rescue but they are out of capacity as well..

Please save him!!

Location of the store : PetSmart - 8657 Villa La Jolla Dr, San Diego, CA 92037

You can see his picture here : https://imgur.com/a/oHR9LM2

Lisa12

Post   » Sun Feb 26, 2023 1:36 pm

I think its the best if you can take him..before its too late..altough i always adopted never bought one from the store, if he s doing so poorly..

I know how you feel..recently i saw an add for pigs family here in our country..(three pigs, one pregnant;looking for new home), i still miss my pigs so much (I had four, now i have one) and dog and cat and you know how that goes..i was thinking if i should react or not, i am not as strong and determinated like i used to be, cause of all this things that i ve been through and dealing with vets in recent years too much etc )so i didnt immidatly react..

However when i checked again in couple days add was gone..i dont know what happened with thoose dear pigs..i felt really bad.i hope somebody experienced took them in...help somebody if you can...of course we always cant..but, anyway..wish that pig good luck..

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Feb 26, 2023 2:11 pm

It is controversial to purchase a guinea pig from a pet store. You are supporting them and encouraging them. I understand your concern, though.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Thu Mar 02, 2023 6:24 pm

What you can try is contacting the authorities that regulate pet stores in your area, notify them/file a complaint about what you've seen, and advocate for help for him that way.

This varies greatly state by state. Your local animal control or humane society might can point you in the right direction, or internet research can show you what agency regulates pet stores in the area. Often it's an agriculture department, or perhaps commerce; this varies hugely state to state.

You can also complain to the store's management, or district or regional management if it's a chain. Social media (Twitter) should get their attention fast.

CAVEAT: this can be a two-edged sword. What they can do is pull the animal off the floor and stick him in a back room under the guise of "treatment", simply letting him rot and die.

How well any of this works depends entirely on the laws of your county and state, how well they're enforced, and how much the individual agencies actually care about what they're doing. California is better than most in this area, though nobody's as good as they could be.

Good luck. Thank you for noticing and caring about him. Blessings to him and to you.