Skinny pigs urine smells like cat pee

lainier

Post   » Wed Feb 08, 2023 9:14 pm

Hello,
I used this forum years ago but after having two children I haven't owned guinea pigs again until fairly recently.
We now own two female skinny pigs (have had them for 2 years). I keep them on fleece blankets and I have to change them twice a day due to a strong cat urine odor. They do eat significantly more than hairy piggies that I have owned over the years. We feed them lots of timothy hay and botanical hay, Oxbow g.p pellets and some veggies such as romaine, mini peppers, cilantro, kale, a little cucumber and tomato.
I have ordered some washable pads for the cage that are very similar to GuineaDads and expect them to arrive soon. Do you have any suggestions as to why they smell like this? I never experienced this when I kept my piggies on Aspen.
Thanks so much, Elaine.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Feb 08, 2023 9:47 pm

Hi lainier!

It's been a while since we've had a discussion about bedding and odor. I believe some people have tried adding some vinegar to the wash. It may be that some fleece is more prone to hold odors. And what foods you give will affect the urine too.

Is there any indication they have a urinary tract infection?

I know bpatters has had great results with wood pellets. Some people will put fleece on top to draw away the urine.

You might turn up some interesting discussions using the search feature. Here's a search I did:
search.php?keywords=fleece+urine+odor&t ... mit=Search

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Wed Feb 22, 2023 9:51 pm

Do you have towels under the fleece?