Adult & Baby Feeding

IssaG

Post   » Tue Feb 07, 2023 7:07 pm

We've been watching our Callie after she lost her cage mate a few months ago and felt she would do better with a companion. We ended up with a 10-12 week little one we're calling BBG until we pick name. BBG is quarantined in her own cage for health of course and to allow her to get her feet under her. She's very timid but getting better every day.

When we do the introductions and assuming they go well, how do you feed a baby and an adult together? It's something I wish I'd thought about before we got a baby. Callie did have a bladder stone a couple years ago, but it's never reoccurred. And we do have the shilington supplement we can give her. Would appreciate any ideas form those of you who have done this.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Feb 07, 2023 7:48 pm

You may be able to set up a small enclosure within the cage that the larger guinea pig can't get into but the small one can, so she can eat food with more calcium. Other people will take a pup out and feed it separately (or you could take out Callie and put in some alfalfa pellets). A little slight of hand can be good for health ;-)

IssaG

Post   » Tue Feb 07, 2023 8:18 pm

Those are some good ideas Lynx. I'll do some thinking on what we can do.