Neutering

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Jan 04, 2023 4:10 pm

I was a big proponent of feeding fresh grass (getting them used to it gradually). Discovered grass did not have much in the way of vitamin C, which surprised me. I still think of wild forages as being the best (personal preference).

Renonvsparky

Post   » Fri Jan 06, 2023 4:38 pm

I would never neuter or spay my guinea pigs. I don't see any benefits to putting them through that when it's easier and less expensive to either keep all of the same gender keep them separate. That's just me though. Everyone's situation is different.

On a side note, I agree with Lynx on forage. It's a part of my guinea pigs diet. Not a large amount, and only in the spring and summer when there is forage available. The behavior of foraging is something I highly encourage. I don't put their pellets in bowls. I put their hay and veggies down on the bedding and let them forage it up. They actually like that. It makes cleaning their cages more often necessary, but worth it.

RubySimon

Post   » Sun Jan 08, 2023 3:00 pm

Never say never, Renonvsparky. LOL There are actually some medical reasons to do a spay on a female. One of my vets had a female who had many issues with ovarian cysts. She neutered her and she did great. She was not young either. And there are actually some things that could (though rare) that make a neuter a good idea on a male.

Simon was neutered and it was very nice. Less gross in a few ways. I chose my pigs sometimes by how much they need me, and it would have been nice if the next one is a female and I would have been able to put them together. But that ship sailed, oh well, it is what it is.