Timmy's Medical Topic

Squiggles

Post   » Mon Jan 02, 2023 3:17 pm

The replies on here have been wonderful for my sick pig. He's doing okay, by the way, staying between 720-750. Highest I saw was 770, but I don't think he's going over that. Anyway, my other guy.

I noticed today his teeth. He has what looks like tartar or something brownish/black on the bottom and he's missing one, or it broke off. I'm preparing to take him to the vet, but I'm worried they might not be able to do everything an exotic one can do, even though they do handle exotic animals and he was the one who put my other pig on medicine, which was suggested by this forum and has been a great help. However, if you read my other thread, you'll see my experience with the only exotic vet that's around here, and I had to reject their advice in the end on my other guy. Does anyone have any advice that maybe I can tell my vet? I can try to get some photos the best I can but he's a wiggler and a scared little guy. He eats, no problem. Hay container is always empty each time (My two are in a stacked cage due to the weight difference because of the other sick pig) and his weight in between 1250-1270 g.

Thanks in advance.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Jan 02, 2023 8:36 pm

What is this guinea pig's name? I can put it in the title and it can be his medical topic.

Have you read the teeth pages? There is info on broken teeth and on peg teeth, I believe, both of which might help you. If you can get clear crisp pics, I can add them to your topic.

Here are the teeth pages:
https://www.guinealynx.info/teeth.html

Squiggles

Post   » Mon Jan 02, 2023 11:04 pm

Thank you, Lynx. His name is Timmy. I will get some photos tomorrow, if I can get him to stay still long enough. I will take a look at the pages.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Jan 03, 2023 8:22 am

Taking pics of his teeth may be a two-person job! I hope you have someone who can help you.

Too bad we can't just say "open wide" or "smile for the camera" and get cooperation!

Information on peg teeth (which are often discolored) is on the first teeth page:
https://www.guinealynx.info/teeth.html

And on broken teeth, here:
https://www.guinealynx.info/teeth_broken.html

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Jan 03, 2023 8:25 pm

Here you go. I am putting your crispest picture first. p.s. can you scratch at the brown part in his mouth? Is it hard? Does it look to be part of a broken tooth or a growth or dried food or?

Squiggles

Post   » Wed Jan 04, 2023 5:46 am

Thank you, Lynx! I can try. What is the best way to try to clean his teeth without him taking my finger off? He is a huge, huge biter. Would a wet napkin or cloth work? Also, will that tooth grow back even though he will be five years old in May?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Jan 04, 2023 9:31 am

Perhaps you can cover his eyes with one hand, placing your thumb and index finger along the jaw line in between the incisors and molars in an attempt to hold the mouth open (experiment with this - your fingers should not be in his mouth). Use a firm grip. If it seems to you he might still be able to bite (using your other hand to clean the area where the tooth was), perhaps you can cover the end of a chopstick with a soft cloth and see if any of the debris you are seeing can be loosened or removed, giving you a better idea of what is going on.

Regrowth of a tooth is sometimes an incremental process, where a tooth will regrow and then break off once or twice before it regrows solidly.

Your goal is to weigh daily and make sure he's getting enough food. Watch for pain, routinely examine the teeth to see if the remaining incisor is overgrowing and preventing normal closing of the mouth. A glass file can be used to gently remove some of the tip of an overgrown incisor.

Watch the regrowth to see if it is kind of normal. Read the links I posted.

Squiggles

Post   » Wed Jan 04, 2023 1:39 pm

Thanks for the advice. I'll give it a try. His weight is perfect. Stays between 1250-1270. I weigh him almost every day since I have to weigh his brother who is sick. I watch him eat and his veg plate each morning and night along with his pellet bowl and his hay basket are always empty.

He does like to bite. I've seen him bite on the grids, his ramp, the cage itself, but he has plenty of chew toys. I'm guessing one of the grid biting sessions took his tooth off. He just likes to bite.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Jan 04, 2023 4:11 pm

Sounds like a fearsome fella! (kidding)

Also sounds like you are doing great monitoring him.