Questions about the "Deluxe" Rabbit Habitat Cage

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Sun Nov 06, 2022 12:36 pm

I think a couple of members here own this cage---Renonvsparky might be one of them. I have three cages right now, all Midwest Habitats, and they are getting old and pretty worn-out looking. I'd like to change all of them out in the coming months but don't really want another Midwest Habitat and I don't want to build a C&C.

What are the pros and cons of this particular cage? Are they relatively easy to clean? How hard or easy is it to catch/access guinea pigs with a lid on this cage? Looking at the base, my concern is that they will lose a little space due to the tapered bottom. Does anyone know what the cage measures at the narrowest part of the base? Finally, has anyone seen it available anywhere at a better price-point than roughly $100 each?

I was really hoping this might be a stackable cage, but apparently it is not sturdy enough for that.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sun Nov 06, 2022 3:32 pm

I've seen one for a rabbit, and wasn't impressed.

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Sun Nov 06, 2022 4:03 pm

Sef, do you have a humane society or rescue that has used cages to sell? Ours has a re-tail store where they sell pet products and they had one of these for around $25. I have a homemade grid cage with a wood frame base, so I didn’t need one, but I couldn’t help think it was a good deal. Maybe you have a similar store in your area.

Another option might be to find a large used dog kennel and use the bottom tray, then make a grid cage to fit. There are usually a lot of used dog kennels at thrift stores and Facebook Marketplace. If they have a metal tray, that would be worth the purchase price.

RubySimon

Post   » Thu Dec 08, 2022 4:59 pm

I have a couple of these in my garage that were given to me. I keep them for emergency purposes. One problem with them is that the plastic really ends up being imbedded with odor after not too long. Someone brought me some rats that I was fostering and had this type of cage. It took A LOT of cleaning and sitting outside before it did not stink. JMO but I think you might be better off thinking of something else.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Dec 08, 2022 9:55 pm

Rats can be particularly odorous. Did you try baking soda? What worked best on the odor?

RubySimon

Post   » Sat Dec 10, 2022 9:38 am

Oh, yeah, rats can be stinky. I use vinegar and water to clean every day. I stopped using paper bedding because normally that is not changed daily. And I felt it just held odors. Using fleece and wiping out daily helped a lot. When I am not using a cage, I use Nature's Miracle Cage Odor Eliminator, which I think works well. I take it either outside or to the basement and spray liberally with that. But I don't feel comfortable using it if I am returning animals immediately after cleaning.

I have used a large dog crate, a metal one, in a pinch. It worked well in some respects, but I had it on the floor and it was kind of a pita, especially if the piggy ran to the back.

Mizz P

Post   » Mon Dec 19, 2022 6:36 pm

I use one of these as a travel cage for my solo boar. The size isn't bad for one but you are correct that the slightly sloped walls at the bottom do decrease the overall footprint/space. I've never had any problems cleaning it, although I don't use the included platform/hidey. I believe you can also purchase an extension for this cage which is what I would do if it were to be a permanent closure, although you'd probably have to make custom fleece liners (if your a fleece liner lover.) Also note that the entire top is removable. You unhook the clamps on the sides and the top comes off which makes it easier to take outside and hose off once in a while.

Waddles
Party Poop-er

Post   » Mon Dec 19, 2022 9:27 pm

I had an adopter who bought one for their pair of pigs. They liked that it had a add on option to extend it if the pigs needed more room. A few months later, they sent me a photo of the pigs in their cage - they had switched it out for a C&C.

Sef, curious why don't you want another Midwest habitat? Lack of stackability?

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Wed Dec 21, 2022 9:50 am

Thanks for the info on the "Wabbitat" cage. They look nice but it sounds like they're not worth the price tag. Will likely just get another Midwest Habitat next time around, even though I don't like how flimsy they are.

Waddles---I would love something that could be stacked, but I don't think there are any large cages out there that fit the bill (other than a C&C built to stack). Not a biggie, but it sure would be nice.

Renonvsparky

Post   » Wed Jan 11, 2023 5:38 pm

I have zero problems with the 6 Wabbitat cages I have. I had to design a system to hold down the fleece bedding, but they work great. As Mizz P said, the platform/hidey is not very practical. I learned that the hard way after having to constantly clean pee and poop off of it. It gets pretty gross very quickly. Instead of the platform hidey, I use 6 inch PVC pipe with the bottom cut out so that when they are laying in them they're on the bedding. That keeps the tunnel cleaner. The door is the whole front of the cage on the 2 by 3 footers and they're split into two halves on the 2 by 4 footers. Either way, you can have the entire front of the cage opened, which makes getting the pigs out without injury a lot easier. If there's any draw back, it the fact that you can't store anything directly on top of the cage or else it will bow and the doors won't operate without coming off.

So whether you have bedding pellets or towels, disposable pet pads or whatever you are using, the only issue you may have is preventing the pigs from getting underneath the bedding where all of the nastiness is. All I did to solve that problem is to cut small boards to the length needed to wedge in and hold the bedding in place. I wrapped them in plastic wrap to protect them from pee and water and then covered them with fleece to keep the pigs from chewing the wood and plastic. You can rinse them off and they dry very quickly. I change the fleece covering and plastic undercoat on the boards every couple of months or whatever they get to the point where hosing them off doesn't get them clean anymore. If necessary, I can replace the boards too. It was very easy to make and it's really easy to maintain.

Waddles
Party Poop-er

Post   » Wed Jan 11, 2023 8:57 pm

Sef - Is it the plastic base that you think is "flimsy? You can switch it out for a coroplast base and it is much sturdier and easier to clean. GuineaPigCages sells them for Midwest cages (you can see photos on their website).

Or can make your own which I did recently. I made a base and a kitchen (customized with high back to keep the hay from spilling outside the cage), had a chance to put it to use soon after and really like it.