Jake’s Overnight Eye Injury

TnJsMom

Post   » Mon Aug 08, 2022 1:32 am

Jake has an appt for Tuesday but I myself have had an extraction that’s been overdue for some time and have actually had to cancel because I’m unable to get him there. Perhaps I’ll call but they may be reluctant to service over the phone

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Aug 08, 2022 9:58 am

If you feel the drops aren't giving adequate protection for a few hours and the eye is drying, they may be sympathetic and go with an ointment.

TnJsMom

Post   » Mon Aug 08, 2022 11:36 am

Update: yesterday (7 Aug) I noticed him chattering his teeth and being reluctant to move. This morning he was reluctant to eat food even his favourite vegetables and made a whistling noise when breathing/sniffing, so I took him to the vet at 3pm same day. She says his eye is worse (looks the same but is causing him more pain) hence the noises, I feared it was a Uri on top of his eye injury so sigh of relief. Been given more metacam and to stick with isathal, I ordered the terramycin but after asking the vet, I didn’t know pet meds bought online are most likely to be counterfeit! Glad I found out before the delivery arrived as I would have for sure given them to Jake by now. I did ask about trying other treatment as it seems odd to continue with the same drugs if weve not seen any improvement and it’s day 6 now but she was adamant to stick with it? This is my first sick piggie so I’ll definitely have a few more grey hairs after this ordeal, does anyone know from experience if isathal eventually does the job and im just being impatient or do i need to advocate for something else?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Aug 08, 2022 12:31 pm

It appears isathal is a gel (good) with an active ingredient of Fusidic acid, an antibiotic, which is designed to treat conjuctivitis.
https://www.drugs.com/vet/isathal-eye-gel-can.html

"Isathal eye gel is indicated for the treatment of conjunctivitis in dogs caused by pathogenic strains of Staphylococci spp. sensitive to fusidic acid."

I don't know its efficacy for your guinea pig and its particular problem. Guessing it may help and won't hurt.

Keep in mind, there are also veterinary ophthalmologists that are much more knowledgeable about eye issues. You said it looked worse? Can you take a picture as clear as the one I cropped above for comparison?