Unsure of what happened to my pig

Lisa12

Post   » Sun Jun 12, 2022 9:12 am

Today update:
we ve got soft poops.. and bit of belly pain, eh:(.
Urine sticks didnt show nothing unusual-we expect new ones one tuesday. I didnt noticed any more blood anywhere, urine looked clear.I notice Irie aint very interested in pellets(that happened before he was on AB,he even completly stopped eatinf pellets for a while...), he s eating hay and vegetables..if he wont be eating pellets i will force fed him a little so it wont be too hard on the belly. I gave him benebac..and now one hour after Marbocyl(3. dossage) he will get it again..it helped a little.
I will try to get new pellets for baby pigs with alfalafa-if he will be interested as a treat..iam upset he doesnt like the ones he always eats and we cant lose weight..so..we also get new package from ourpet store at tuesday..with lot of different types of hay.

I hope we will be able to collect urine sample on thursday(i read 4mls for proper analisys) and will bring it on dog clinic near(15minutes awaY). Hope that is accurate for guinea pigs?

If anything goes wrong we will call the vet that gave us medicines and did check Irie.

We re fighting but is anything but easy..Will update..

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Jun 12, 2022 9:17 pm

It is always stressful to have an ill guinea pig. It sounds like you have a plan and are making sure he gets enough to eat.

Lisa12

Post   » Tue Jun 14, 2022 9:35 am

Thanks for the kind words, Lynx!

At the morning we checked tooth as this young vet was making fuss about it. The tooth looks the same as it was..even a little better-shorter, position is still wrong of course.I didnt find any blood, gum infection or anything like that, but Irie hates it and i wont do that to him any more.
Only thing i can say is..we will visit surgeon during summer and see how it goes.

Weight is stable..not the best butstable.Poops are okay. He is bright, happy and eating, little annoyed at check outs. Running around on the floor.

And now..we did urine test..we simply puturine stick in the middle right after he is urinating on the floor.
I am not vet, but this should be sort of accurate, altough not as vet analysis. Nothing was shown wrong, except SG(which is connceted to kidney function).
Urine has a little strong smell, but its clear.All the time.

All i can say about it none of my other males everhad visable blood in urine. We had Bob(our tiger cat, Alpha), Ringo(border collie),Lee and Galli(both pigs). Females Ziggy and Kluivertka(pig)never had bladder, kidney issues.
Only with kidney issues at the very old age only, which is normal and hewas the oldest of our gang was Ringo..but he had minor issues. It was detected by ultrasoundthat kidneys didnt looks all as its used to..and blood(creatinine was little higher, rest of the kidney function okay, he was drinking bit more than usual..)but magically all he needed was kidney diet(forlastfew years)and he lived happily like its nothing!

For Irie we cant take blood cause of anasthesia, hope he doesnt have kidney issues,but we will see that on following tests.

I hope we can collect enough urine to bring it on dogs clinic. It doesnt matter when..ihope thursday if we wont catch enough we can do it some otherday.

And than we will ask somewhere for ultrasound.

And than..he will have tooth check with our surgeon.

In the mean time..i want him to enjoy his life..he is not bothered with my whole diagnostical issues,..so:).He reached very good age for pig i am grateful..and hope we have some more time left..i cant wrote 10 years..but we sure will try to our bestest to get it together and have good time!..

Lisa12

Post   » Tue Jun 14, 2022 9:40 am

It seems like infection is sort of cleared....we will report when we will have results from urine analysis at vets+we have 9dossage out of 14 of antibiotic left

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Jun 14, 2022 1:56 pm

Do you think the urine odor is related to the infection? It sounds like lots of good signs (weight stabilized, currently no blood). Are you giving extra fluids by syringe?

Lisa12

Post   » Wed Jun 15, 2022 12:52 am

Thanks for an answer!

It could be, yeah..No, ..how much extra fluids can i give him?

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Wed Jun 15, 2022 1:01 am

Depends on how thick Critical Care is. I usually make sure 1-3 syringes-1ml or as much as they want. Gently lift his skin and see how quickly it goes back to normal. If fast not dehydrated if slowly he is dehydrated. I have diabetes so do this to my hand often. Good luck!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Jun 15, 2022 8:21 am

Daily water intake would be:

"10 to 40 ml water per 100 grams of body weight ( will vary with temperature, humidity, etc.)".

https://www.guinealynx.info/handfeeding.html

Lisa12

Post   » Wed Jun 15, 2022 2:23 pm

Thank you both very much!!!

And i found this..hope it can help anyone else, too..:https://www.youtube.com/shorts/J2i2kg-wGAc

Lisa12

Post   » Fri Jun 17, 2022 2:52 am

we ve only got 1,5ml ... which is not enough to bring it on dog clinic...

Daisymay, how did you collected sample, if you can please write? How much did you need?

On urine sticks at home results are clear. He is drinking more than usual, but its extreme heat this days.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Fri Jun 17, 2022 3:34 am

At vet the vet squeezed bladder whilst I held onto specimen jar. You could try at home. But I preferred vet to do it. They had enough for dip stick and to spin it. You could try giving him some water and holding him and waiting. Little dickens has to go at some point. The old saying a watch pot never boils.

Lisa12

Post   » Fri Jun 17, 2022 1:24 pm

Thanks for infromations and quick response... haha:) He did!
I cleaned the floor and than i let irie run around after i came home from work...And i put urine in the syringe and Irie quickly urinated twice and we got 2mls quickly..we felt cool..like we are dogs, arent we, haha:).

So, i brought it to nearest dog clinic..they are soo kind..if exotic vets would be so kind..ah..of course they arent..however urine analysis on stick-perfect, showed nothing wrong.. urine sediment under microscope..crystals and quite a bit baccteria still...no blood was found!

Exotic vet we firstly went to said he s got a lott of baccteria.. but this dog vet was so kind she even told me she sees some type of coccus ..if you ask something on exotic clinic all is wrong..but i dont care.. anymore, at least.

We have about 7 days of MArbocyl left, in thursday I am visiting Ringos vet to ask for another urine analysis then we will see if we need to switch to bactrim-i hope not, caue its heavy on Iries belly.

I am also thinking where to do ultrasound. At clinic my pigs went to(usually) you cant be present during ultrasound and i am fed up with that, i always was to be honest, but they were exotics experienced and i tought okay than..but two experienced vets arent available anymore..just 3 young vets..who give you impression they can do with your animal whatever they like.
I would like to find somewhere where i can be present during examination. Hope we will.