Protozoa in Bladder/Urine and Metronidazole

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Thu May 12, 2022 4:51 pm

That’s frustrating. She would have better digestion and would probably feel better if she could eat more hay.

DevoutHaruhiist
Supporter in '22

Post   » Sat May 14, 2022 2:59 pm

Weight has been slightly going up the last 2 days alongside some additional syringe feeding. She definitely has some periods where she eats hay, especially in the evening. Her behavior flip-flops pretty wildly. Sometimes she is kind of sitting in what looks to be discomfort or at the very least weird lopsidedness and lethargy. Other times she is wheeking or coming up to me and climbing the cage bars, sniffing and excited. I do notice with her lopsidedness/imbalance that if she is lying down she occasionally stumbles a bit getting up on her left leg (which is the lopsided side)

Despite the slightly increased hay intake, poos remain pretty soft 75% of the time. I did see some more normal ones yesterday but today they were back to kind of messy and soft (which is also necessitating more cleaning since she is stepping/lying in it). Here's an example pic from a pile I found under her once she moved after sitting for a bit. She is of course still on her antibiotics (which might be indefinite honestly) as well as probiotics ~3 times a day (benebac gel or powder). Luckily she is drinking on her own though I usually give her at least one small syringe or two of water a few times a day just to be safe.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1uRxned ... sp=sharing

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat May 14, 2022 5:14 pm

Glad to hear she is not losing weight. Messy poos are not fun but seeing food move through her system is a good thing.

Hope she continues to eat hay.

DevoutHaruhiist
Supporter in '22

Post   » Sun May 15, 2022 12:10 am

Is there anything inherently dangerous about messy poops if this ends up becoming her new normal? As long as weight and appetite ok, etc.? The level of messiness definitely ranges from soft normal oval poops to outright messy piles.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun May 15, 2022 7:02 am

I think it is primarily a problem for cleaning up. Since there are cecal feces that are supposed to be ingested, one would imagine the bacteria to be relatively benign. Don't know what her abdomen is looking like right now but I don't recall any open sores. Perhaps a system of changing out carefully located pads during the day can make it more manageable. Of course, we all aspire to normal poops.

DevoutHaruhiist
Supporter in '22

Post   » Sun May 15, 2022 2:43 pm

That makes sense. I will say sometimes it is getting quite soft, not watery yet but pretty much formless piles :(
It is definitely a cleaning challenge. The regular soaks and pee pad changes helped a lot with her urine scald but I'm finding the poop harder to clean off of her. It gets really caked on the bottom of her foot pads, in her nails, and on her exposed belly skin and almost has to be scraped off. Not sure if anyone has tips for that. She also really doesn't like me holding her hands and pulling it off, often squirming a lot.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun May 15, 2022 2:54 pm

Do you have any Desitin around? It is an ointment (I think) that we can use for urine scald. What I suggest you try doing is applying a thin coat to the bottom of her feet after cleaning to see if it makes her feet any easier to clean (not sticking as much). The Desitin would also protect the foot in case the poops have any irritant in them. There might be other things you could try besides the Desitin. Cold pressed coconut oil should be pretty neutral (and she will smell better!).

DevoutHaruhiist
Supporter in '22

Post   » Sun May 15, 2022 4:11 pm

I do have some I can try-- I always worry about her licking it since it says do not swallow.

One of the issues is how stuck the poo gets on those areas-- it takes a moderate amount of "force" to get it off sometimes and I'm sure it's not pleasant for her. Plus sometimes it's hard with her squirming to get between her nails or her foot pads. One time I used a particularly straight and dry piece of hay to try and get between her toes. That worked ok but I might need to devise a better tool/method.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sun May 15, 2022 4:30 pm

Soak her in a warm bath. The poop will quickly soften and come off.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun May 15, 2022 4:39 pm

Yes, the "spa treatment" should make it easy!

DevoutHaruhiist
Supporter in '22

Post   » Mon May 16, 2022 1:37 pm

I will leave her soaking for longer today and see if that makes a difference. It is really becoming quite a mess!

And on top of that (waiting for a call back from the vet to get his opinion on her stools, which continue to be very soft and messy), it looks like her tooth is getting close to breaking off again. This is the tooth that broke awhile back and grew back kind of chunky. It got trimmed last week because it was too long but now I notice it has a section (near the top of the picture) where it is very thin (might be a bit hard to see in the photo, but it almost looks like the tooth is only half the normal width at the top; there is kind of a diagonal inward part that leaves a gap on one side). Maybe this is a good thing for this more discolored/chunky part to potentially break off?

I am just worried that it might cut or choke her or something if/when it does. Not sure if that is an issue.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1eIJonv ... wVhGb/view

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Flpagc ... qjiDD/view

Catie Cavy
Supporter 2011-2020

Post   » Mon May 16, 2022 7:40 pm

You might want to try using pine bedding. I know it's not as nice as fleece but it will absorb more of the poo. I had a girl I had to switch back to pine bedding after she got permanent mushy poos following antibiotics. The poos on the fleece just got smeared everywhere.