Protozoa in Bladder/Urine and Metronidazole

DevoutHaruhiist
Supporter in '22

Post   » Thu Apr 21, 2022 4:05 pm

Just as an example of her differences I observe in how she is acting or sitting that worries me. These two pictures were just like 50 minutes apart. She seems to alternate between looking happy and gleeful and kind of weird and uncomfortable (at least to my eyes). Obviously this is not a medical thing and is just based on my observations, but still.

DevoutHaruhiist
Supporter in '22

Post   » Thu Apr 21, 2022 4:45 pm

Oh and finally got my x-ray files to add to the record here

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Apr 21, 2022 8:23 pm

What did he think about the fuzzy opaqueness in the bladder area in the top xray? Not defined enough to clearly be a stone. Seems to be absent in the second image.

DevoutHaruhiist
Supporter in '22

Post   » Thu Apr 21, 2022 8:28 pm

He said that is the precipitate/sludge in her bladder. If you look back a few posts ago on the ultrasound there is a bit of that white cloud in her bladder. It's much better than it was before her UTI treatment, but still present.

He also did note (and obviously felt around it extensively in person) the slight bulge you can see on the left side (right in the x-ray overhead). But did not seem to have too much concern about it for now in the absence of it clearly being bloat or a cyst or something.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Thu Apr 21, 2022 9:28 pm

I thought sludge as well in that one image.

The other appears to be normal ingesta to me.

DevoutHaruhiist
Supporter in '22

Post   » Fri Apr 22, 2022 4:22 pm

Thanks, Sef. Yeah that is what my vet said about the ingesta as well.

*sigh* I just have so much anxiety around her condition as you can probably all tell from my posts. Like in those pictures I posted of her I am constantly flipping back and forth between thinking she is doing well and thinking she looks weird or bad.

DevoutHaruhiist
Supporter in '22

Post   » Sun Apr 24, 2022 7:33 pm

Small update for Margaret's weekend.

She had some slight weight loss mid-week that seems to have stabilized. Whereas she was sitting at 880-900 before now seems to be 860-880. Not sure what that is about. She eats all of her pellets and veggies, and is eager for the syringe food the 3x a day I offer it.

She continues some odd behavior. Whereas half the time she is eating/acting normally, standing and wheeking for veggies, etc. as I mentioned prior, she is still having periods where she just sort of stops eating and stares or lays around for awhile.

I think the pee pad changing and occasional rinses are helping. She seems drier when I pick her up, though she is still missing a lot of fur and doing more self grooming than I recall.

Her broken top tooth has grown almost completely back. It still does look a little chunky/discolored though.

Most worrying to me is the continued bulge on her side. I am not sure it has gotten any bigger, it's hard to tell, but it's definitely there. As mentioned before I guess there was no cyst or anything-- not sure what should signal me rushing her back to the vet. Her next scheduled appointment is May 10th but that seems far off, but I guess I have to just watch it ? Not sure.

DevoutHaruhiist
Supporter in '22

Post   » Sun Apr 24, 2022 10:00 pm

Meant to link this also. A small example of how she is lying spaced out sometimes. I am not sure if her breathing here would be considered "labored" since I have not experienced that with a pig. I should note 5 minutes after taking this she was wheeking loudly at the fridge door.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Apr 24, 2022 11:29 pm

What does the lump on the side feel like? It looks most like ovarian cysts. Some lumps end up being very large sebaceous cysts but they are more defined vs. generalized. On rare occasions ingestion of hair can build up (it has a scientific name I can't recall). Not able to see your video. Don't know why my browser fails.

By the way, there's no chance she is pregnant, right?

DevoutHaruhiist
Supporter in '22

Post   » Sun Apr 24, 2022 11:41 pm

Hi Lynx. Good question about what it feels like. This is going to be a weird description but I would call it "soft but firm." Definitely not hard like a rock or anything, but almost a fluid-y firmness. I am pretty certain it is not gas since she has not been passing much noticeably lately and has been making lots of poop. If I really try to feel in through her fur around the "mass" it has more of an oval/longer shape than a pure sphere if that makes any sense. I agree from my own research it looks like a cyst-- maybe it was too small last week to see on the ultrasound or x-ray? Not sure if it's something where if I took her back to the vet soon they could get a better look.

That is an interesting theory about an ingestion of hair. I will look that up but let me know if you have any other resources on that. She has been doing that extra self grooming probably for the last few weeks and I wonder if that could be a cause. Not sure how that would be diagnosed or remedied.

Regarding the video I tried a youtube private upload if that works:

And yeah, no chance she is pregnant. She has never met a boar since infancy and has lived in a cage by herself for almost 2 years now since her sister passed. She has my other pigs that live next to her but they are sows too. So unless the guinea pig version of Zeus came to her I don't think that could be haha.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Apr 24, 2022 11:45 pm

Oh, and here's the term I was looking for, regarding eating hair. What the collection of hair is called is a trichobezoar.

I think you might understand why it did not roll off my tongue :-)

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Apr 24, 2022 11:47 pm

Yes, I was able to see your video. Some guinea pigs sleep with their eyes open. Any chance she might have been napping?