Eye ulcer snd vet visit

sozansound2

Post   » Fri Jan 21, 2022 9:23 pm

since she started to eat a bit more hay than before, i went from 3 down to 2. the syringe was the equivalent of almost a full syringe but since i blended it, i just place it in her bowl. she did eat most of it this morning. i would hope later today she would eat some the same way.

and trust me, i have been tired everyday making sure she is moving around and cleaning around her and making sure she is constantly moving. it helps for her to pee more and poop more as well. i wake up around 4-5am to remove her hut for a few minutes so she can stretch and maybe get some hay/water (whatever she is in the mood for) cause if i don't do that, she will just stay there. today was the first time she actually came out on her own so i am hopeful she does the same when i am sleeping.

i have not wrapped her in a towel.
the vice grip is how i do it as well. never had to do it very much so it is much of a learning process for me.

to be honest, so far, she is one tough pig with everything.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Jan 21, 2022 10:51 pm

Sounds like you are doing pretty well - except it also sounds like you need a break!

sozansound2

Post   » Fri Jan 21, 2022 11:06 pm

also juggling college. being online very much helps keeping an eye on her 24/7

sozansound2

Post   » Fri Jan 21, 2022 11:41 pm

well the good news is she ate willingly on her plate. i swear that puts more stress on me than on her.

i also have seen her poop out normal poop but they tend to come in different shapes and sizes. i know what some of them mean but kinda hard to know what is missing when all of them get thrown out. no diarrhea doe.

Renonvsparky

Post   » Sat Jan 22, 2022 4:56 am

You sound like you're experiencing the same exact feelings I did with Scruffy, who was the first sick piggie I had to handfeed and treat. He had a severe bowel infection that nearly killed him and shortened his life. It's stressful and it weighs very heavily on you. What you are doing by documenting the ordeal here is the best thing you can do. Virtually every one of us on this forum has gone through what you are dealing with at least once, as have you. We sympathize with you. We don't always have an answer for you or a suggestion that you can use, but being able to come here and post your progress helps you and will eventually help someone else who may have to go through this. Just know that you are doing everything you can and that we are with you.

I made a lot of mistakes with Scruffy's illness, but he pulled through that with the help and encouragement from my friends here. If you want to read about Scruffy and what we went through, it's on the first 4 pages of his and Mr Bubbles medical thread. You might get a few tips on what to do and what not to do.

https://www.guinealynx.info/forums/viewt ... =2&t=77320

After page 4, there were some bouts with illnesses for Scruffy and I until he passed away on December 8, 2019.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Sat Jan 22, 2022 7:15 am

Well said, Renonvsparky.

Keeping my fingers crossed and pulling for you both.

sozansound2

Post   » Sat Jan 22, 2022 2:57 pm

yea, i gave it a read. that sounds awful. i did get some ideas from it too

sozansound2

Post   » Sat Jan 22, 2022 3:05 pm

well, today was not great for critical care this morning (a few hours ago). she did not want to eat it on her own like yesterday so i took the advice to use a towel and it did help in making sure she dont tuck her head in. i believe she got some to eat but not as much as i wanted too. i think i will do better the next time i give it another go (in a few hours) since it was my first time using a towel.

i am also gonna add more water to the CC to make it less thick since a light turned on in my head saying that is probably why she is able to use her tongue to push it right out of her mouth. if it is more liquid ish than thick then it is hard for her to push everything out in one go. i left it a bit thick since i thought she would appreciate something to chew on since she ate it on her own. thing is i hate syringe feeding since i have seen her in more pain after CC feeding when placed back in her cage. i assume her fighting back and using every muscle in her being is moving that stone but i know it is important.

at least she still eats her veggies. i am also thinking of introducing her pellets again to help wear down some of her teeth at least (her teeth are not big. they are well trimmed currently). i don't know if that is a good idea since i am attempting to give her CC. she may eat hay but like 3 to 4 small strands. sometimes a bit more.

kind of sucks she wont eat it on her own. she was in a bit of pain when i went to place her bowl next to her. she came to see but went back into her pig hut. maybe that is why she didn't want too

sozansound2

Post   » Sat Jan 22, 2022 3:26 pm

of course she eats pellets willingly lmao. i needed to give her something with timothy hay. gave her a little bit of pellets. it has been 2 days since i have and i also thought since it has vit B supplement in them, it would help entice more hay eating. don't have vit b for her right now.
Last edited by sozansound2 on Sat Jan 22, 2022 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Renonvsparky

Post   » Sat Jan 22, 2022 3:28 pm

If she likes the apple banana flavor, she might like the papaya too. It is a very fine grind and much easier to work with. It doesn't have any bits that clog the syringe and its easier to make a slurry out of which she can't expel so easily. I've found that the fine grind is so much easier to work with and every one of my pigs like the papaya flavor. Might be worth a try.

sozansound2

Post   » Sat Jan 22, 2022 3:33 pm

i was given the option of the regular and fine grind. i have not had any issues with the regular apple banana clogging the syringe yet since i had enough water to keep it liquid but tick enough for her to have something to chew if that makes sense since she like hard things to chew on. i will just make it more liquid. i have not had any issues giving her liquid pain meds and water syringes. think it should work out better than what i have been dong so far.

sozansound2

Post   » Sat Jan 22, 2022 7:51 pm

here to report my findings:

i smeared critical care to her veggies. left the side that i would give her to chase empty so she smells the lettuce but the rest of the veggies are covered in a light coating of CC. it was successful. The amount covered of CC was a full syringe worth of it in total. i tried not to smear a chunk since i was afraid as she keeps eating the chunk would drop off the veggie. i also added a bit more water to make it less chunky and more liquid for easy smearing. i used the lettuce and cut them up in a good size square with a knife. great scoop for smearing. half the veggies was smeared so she can chase after them for some exercise

then i placed the other half of the lettuce into a plate with the rest of the CC and tossed them like a salad against the CC under them. she ate that too. there was green peppers on both sides but i did not smear them. whatever CC from the lettuce that got on my fingers, i would use that to smear the green pepper to give to her.