Medicine for Hay Poke on Eye

Linollieum

Post   » Fri Dec 31, 2021 10:22 pm

Hello!

My boy had a hair poking his eye that I managed to safely get out that irritated his eye really quickly.

The vet won't be able to see him for a while and his eye is still quite cloudy and red, though the weeping has stopped since I took the hair off his eye. I'm really worried that his eye will get worse in the next few days without treatment.

I researched Terramycin and eye wash like Optrex with Chloramphenicol but I can't find any of those things in Canada online or in store, at least none that could arrive quickly. So far the best thing I've found accessible is either Vetericyn on Amazon that is not an antibiotic and will take a few days to arrive, or a random human eye drop from shoppers or something to at least moisturize his eye.

But aside from Terramycin or a Chloramphenicol eye wash, or just waiting for a vet to be able to see us I can't find what I can put on his poor eye over the next few days :(

Thanks!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Dec 31, 2021 10:35 pm

How about give your local pharmacist a call and ask what he/she'd recommend for a human as a safe eye wash for an irritated eye? This, you could get more quickly. It could flush and moisturize perhaps. I randomly did a search for products. Products like Visine are pretty common:
https://www.msn.com/en-us/lifestyle/sho ... ar-AAOjiRx

They are for allergies but would soothe the eye and make your guinea pig feel better.

My only worry would be that there is something else irritating his eye.

Linollieum

Post   » Fri Dec 31, 2021 10:52 pm

Thank you! I did see visine, and I also found optrex, but only basix optrex thats just witch hazel and such without Chloramphenicol. But if that might be okay then maybe I'll get that basic optrex tomorrow and start using a drop a couple times a day.

Hopefully that can at least help him get to the vet without his eye getting worse.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Dec 31, 2021 10:56 pm

As I mentioned, do talk to the pharmacist, too. You might want to put in drops more frequently than twice a day. Some of these drops relieve pain.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Fri Dec 31, 2021 11:26 pm

I'd see if I couldn't get him in to an emergency vet. Eye injuries are very painful, and there's the danger of infection that may result in the necessity of moving the eye.

We don't ordinarily recommend emergency vets for guinea pigs, but eyes are eyes are eyes, and any competent vet should be able to give you something.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Jan 01, 2022 12:01 am

What bpatters says is so true! It is MUCH better to have the eye looked at, even by a vet who is not an exotics vet. Eye issues can be serious.
https://www.guinealynx.info/eyes.html

Linollieum

Post   » Sat Jan 01, 2022 12:31 am

I'll try more vets first then tomorrow, this was a bad time for it to happen since everywheres closed for the next few days :( but hopefully I can find somewhere that will look at him or have better products

Renonvsparky

Post   » Mon Jan 03, 2022 2:10 am

Yeah, my pig, Mr Bubbles has the eye thing going on right now. It kicked up on New Years eve, so I can't get him to the vet until Monday at the soonest. He's had this tear duct problem for most of his life that flares up from time to time. I keep it clean the best I can and I gently manage just under the eye in a circular motion and I have antibiotic eye drops to keep it from getting infected.

This time it's worse than usual and with him being 5 years old and more at-risk of serious health issues, I am taking him to the vet to be on the safe side. He's not experiencing any problems with activities, eating or drinking so far. It's just his one eye getting a little bit gunky. His other eye is fine and there's no nasal discharge. No issues with chewing or head tilt. You can see the bottom lining of his eye socket is swelling, but it goes down and his eye runs when I massage it.

Anyway, I thought maybe your guinea pig might have the same problem.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Mon Jan 03, 2022 9:47 am

Preventive antibiotics are not really a good idea. More than anything, they'll just create bacteria that are resistant to them, making a bad problem worse.

Renonvsparky

Post   » Mon Jan 03, 2022 9:28 pm

He's not getting the eye drops yet. I have them just in case.

Linollieum

Post   » Mon Jan 03, 2022 9:49 pm

In case anyone sees this, to update, by the time we found a vet that could see my piggie, he said the cornea of his eye is pretty dried up and gone, but he prescribed us Baytril, Tobramycin, and Meloxicam to try for at least a few days to see if it will help heal the eye. Not too much hope but fingers crossed...

Renonvsparky

Post   » Mon Jan 03, 2022 11:29 pm

Sorry to hear that. Wishing you and your piggie the best.