Guinea pigs and COVID-19

Renonvsparky

Post   » Thu Dec 02, 2021 1:50 pm

Lisa, I know that you must feel terrified. Let me try and inject some hope and positivity. You only see and hear the tragic end of the covid story. The cases, hospitalization and deaths are what you hear the most about on the news and it seems very scary. What you don't see or hear a lot about is the survival rates. Read this, follow your doctor's instructions to the letter and there is a 97% to 99% chance (based on any underlying health issues) of making a full recovery. https://www.webmd.com/lung/covid-recove ... 2099.75%25.

I don't know what comorbidities you or your mom have and I pray that none of them are respiratory. Even with respiratory problems, there's a good chance of beating this. Several otherwise healthy members of my family; myself included caught covid and we all made a full recovery. I know that you will too. I'm sending you positive vibes and best wishes.

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Thu Dec 02, 2021 9:34 pm

Lisa, I’m so sorry you are ill and so stressed. Do everything that @renonvsparky said, you have a very good chance of recovery. Rest, take care of yourself, and try not to stress. Our neighbors weren’t vaccinated and they all got Covid. They were sick but they all pulled through. Best wishes.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Dec 02, 2021 11:48 pm

Hoping for your recovery too!

Lisa12

Post   » Fri Dec 03, 2021 3:01 am

Thanks to all!
I have mild fever(between 37,3 and 37,8),i feel very tired and have very sore throat..
Dad started feeling bad today.he s goingon pcr 12.50...

What about your pigs Renonvsparky?
Hope they didnt get infected.. I am afraid for Irie more than for me...He s in his room..and dad only sees him 10minutes twice per day.. For now he s feeling very well..my healthy sister is coming at afternoon to take care of him if dad is positivehe will move upstairst or downstairs so he will not be on the same floor as Irie.
Mum is feeling better her quaranteen ends on 7.12, my on 10.12...

Renonvsparky

Post   » Fri Dec 03, 2021 2:12 pm

My family took care of the guinea pigs when I was sick. At that house, they were in their own room to protect them from the dog and cats, so I was able to stay clear of them. It was hard because I really missed feeding and holding them. I could barely walk around without getting faint from being winded, so it was more because of that than being worried about passing the virus to them. Even after I got well, I still had trouble with getting winded easily for the next 2-3 months. Some of that is because my physical conditioning is not the best. Bad back, knees and feet make doing cardio exercises difficult.

Lisa12

Post   » Sun Dec 05, 2021 5:11 am

I am glad your mighty herd stayedsafe!
Wish you the best, too..of course..

I am better..its very flu like this covid...my temperature fell and i hope i ll be okay till thursday completely. My mum is not sick anymore..i ll try to get my sister-(she s negative) to clean Iries cage one more time today or tomorrow and than i will be able to this week.. Hes doing well and ziggy was in contact with me and have no symptoms at all.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Sun Dec 05, 2021 10:21 am

I know it's possible for animals (some lion at a zoo) to get covid and I understand your anxiety. But I've seen no mention of any kind of pet getting covid and/or being really sick with it. Seems to me, if it can happen, it's still very unlikely that your pig will get sick. Still, it's good that you're taking precautions like any good pig mommy would do.

Renonvsparky

Post   » Sun Dec 05, 2021 9:36 pm

I have to avoid contact with my guinea pigs for another day or two. What I have is from contact with a rat infestation. It's my own fault. I totally forgot about using a mask to avoid breathing in the dust when I swept out the barn. I still have to get used to country life and dealing with the hazards in the country which don't exist where im used to living.

Luckily it wasn't Hantavirus and I'm mostly over it. My eyes are clear and the sore throat is mostly gone. I didn't want to risk infecting the guinea pigs with any diseases I may have come into contact with while cleaning up after the rats and getting rid of them.

Lisa12

Post   » Mon Dec 06, 2021 8:43 am

justthat you are alright!

I can send our little zig to you if you have too many mouses and rats:)

ClemmyOddieIndy

Post   » Mon Dec 06, 2021 11:02 pm

I had Covid in November. My guinea pig Piper never seems to have caught it. I didn't have anyone else to care for her so I still had to. I was coughing and sneezing all over the place.