Guinea pigs and COVID-19

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue May 19, 2020 5:37 pm

Be sure to introduce it slowly. Too much early or lush spring grass can upset their digestion. I worked up to giant piles of grass for my guinea pigs.

M1dn1ght

Post   » Wed May 20, 2020 10:17 am

Actually, I won;t have to! My entire Chewy order came yesterday. I was surprised, as I had just placed it on Saturday. So they said it would be 8 to 10 days and it was only 3.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Wed May 20, 2020 1:45 pm

Oh good!

I got a bit of a scare today. I was running low on hay and both Chewy.com and Small Pet Select said they were experiencing delays in shipping. I decided to order 5 lbs. from Chewy (Rabbit Hole Hay) and another 3 lbs. (I think) from SPS to see which would arrive first. This was on Sunday.

Just now had a knock at the door, which is unusual. I grabbed a mask and went to the door, and a FedEx driver was standing there. No mask. He said, "Hi! I have a delivery for you!" and proceeded to hand me the Chewy.com box and then the Small Pet Select box. No signature was needed, but it surprised me that he was standing at the front door and handing me my packages. I was really glad I had grabbed a mask before I opened the door.

Anyway...got SPS and Chewy.com on the exact same day, only 3 days after ordering.

Renonvsparky

Post   » Thu May 21, 2020 3:26 am

Sef, have you considered getting a bale of hay from a local ranch and farm supply store? Ours has a mix of mountain meadow and Timothy. My guinea pigs love it. It costs me about $20 and lasts for a few months.

It's easy to store and I can pull sections off of it. I fill up this garbage can I got brand new and transfer it from there into bags that I keep inside. It's far more cost effective and I don't have to wait and hope it gets delivered. Most of the stores in our area have drive up service. They wear masks and come to your truck to accept your payment. Then they load up your hay and send you on your merry way.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu May 21, 2020 8:29 am

I think the big issue is the quality of hay. It can vary greatly when buying from a farm supply store. In the past, we have recommended sources (farms) that supplied hay to horses, as they need to be of better quality and more free of weeds.
https://www.guinealynx.info/hay.html

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Thu May 21, 2020 12:22 pm

Right. The hay our local farmers produce is not the same quality as that of Rabbit Hole, SMS or KMS. I also don't have the space to store even a half bale. It would be much handier and cheaper, though!

Renonvsparky

Post   » Fri May 22, 2020 4:45 am

I've never gotten bad hay from either of the feed stores I've been to. That could have a lot to do with the fact that it is grown very close to here. There are quite a few nice and fertile fields, all within a couple of hours drive from here. The hay; regardless of what strain is always fresh and green. Guess I should consider myself lucky.

Lisa12

Post   » Wed Dec 01, 2021 9:34 am

Hy..
I missed you dear forum friends..really i did..i just have so much going on..too much...
Is there even a chance for pig to survive it?

Lisa12

Post   » Wed Dec 01, 2021 6:09 pm

1.And can you tellme is it possible to put guinea pig on oxygen mask if he struggles to breathe?Can you do it at home or at the vets?
2.Do you think asthma drug will help him if he has any kind of other complications-his asthmatic anyway..but he doesnt need to be on medication..?
3.can gentamicin prevent alsoother secondary bacterial infections
4. can nebulizer makes lung distress or whatever you can get from virus worse or better?
5. what do you think of the use of gas mask?

First and formost we need gentamicin for bordetella infection, ..i am totally..out of it with worries..my dad is getting it tomorrow..

Our old vet is currently helping us and we re so grateful to him and his assistant..beyond words..

I ll write more tomorrow....if anbody can answer, i seriously need to preventually know all this..

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Wed Dec 01, 2021 10:43 pm

Lisa12, I wouldn't worry much about it. In all these months of the pandemic, the only cases I know of that involve guinea pigs with covid are the ones that are lab animals and were deliberately infected. Unless someone with COVID is spending a lot of time in a small area with your pigs, they're not likely to come down with.

I don't think anyone knows the answers to your questions, except for the one about oxygen and nebulization. A pig would have to be sedated to wear a mask. They could be put in a nebulization box and have oxygen (and other medications) delivered that way.

Lisa12

Post   » Wed Dec 01, 2021 11:38 pm

So, no cases in the USA as pets?

Thank you very much for you time and answer...i appriciate it. If someone is just checking if he s okay three times a day is okay with open door for ten minutes with a mask?

Lisa12

Post   » Thu Dec 02, 2021 8:39 am

I dont even know how to write this..i would just like thanks again for all your knowledgable and emotional support we recieved here over the years.
When we had Kluivertka, Gallimore-Galli, Lee, I didnt know for this site, really...with Irie all just seem to fall together..with every pig we had special times..very..itwas so cute..cool..there hairs and characters..with irie we named him Irie Lee we just took it to another level..we really did..you helped us..and there were about 4 vets who helped us grately.
I was asking for me..my mum got infected..but i was completely stressed out,cause we immidiatly separated i did 101 thing to keep us separated..to now avail..she infected me..i love my mum..but i dont know how i ll be able to get along with her after this..this was always my problem with pigs..always something happened and i always blamed somebody..most of the time me..
So, I just got positive Pcr for covid. I am completely broken, i know that it can bevery dangerous to pigs..just let miracle happen..
My dad is taking care of irie cause i wasnt feelin well..and my mother were in isolation..now i am too...Dad is doin pcr again..first was negative..if this would be too..i just pray..really..
If he is not my sister will come, and take care for Irie-they are both feeling good. And Irie as well..
But he was in contact with me..I can just tell you..thatcause there are no words..how great little swines can be..right..and so is IRie..i lost my faithin everything after Ringo broke on through..and dad my grandad did..in everything. Forreal..Specially Irie and Ziggy a little seem to put it back..really..
I would give my lifeand everything for IRie to get out of this situation safely..
MY sister knows a lot about pigs, she knows vets, she s younger and more calm than me..so..I would sell me and my car and my room and all that money and known and unkown..just to make it somehow we pull through...
So, thanks my friends..thanks foreverything..we can only hope for the best..and my doctor knows how much irie means to me and she stricktly forbid my visits even with fttp2 to him, if we wont him safe..even if he s got pissy cage.and hay..she said..just leave him. LEAVE him. Nothing is 100% and you cant 100% protect with covid...actually i spent 10mintues on the phone talking about irie..instead of my corona situation..oh well..
Sorry, hop you dont mind long posts..IRie is more than 6 years old, asthmatic infected with bordetella since 3..but yet he s lion fighter...
Thats it for now..its gonna be hellish next week..and i feel pretty bad..totally low energy..get vaccinated-i didnt get partly cause i was pissed it doesnt protect fully and wont protect me from infecting Irie..Ziggy is with me sinc ei was sick..and even closer..and i hope she ll be alright too..
Hugs there in the USA:..and always tell your pigs they re outstanding phenomenal kings..cause one day..one day you know why you did it..;:,(
Irie is feeling well at the moment dad said..and we need miracle please..