Boney?

kailaeve1271

Post   » Thu Oct 14, 2021 2:48 pm

Hello! It’s been a long time since I’ve been in but my two ladies are raising some concern. They are getting up there in age, 5 years old, and I was wondering if it’s normal for them to get boney. They still have plump bellies, but their hips and back seem to poke out more and their hair is thinning as well.

I care about them dearly I’m sure they’re just getting up there, but I want them as comfortable as possible and wanted to make sure this wasn’t a sign of illness.

They haven’t changed their diet. They eat A LOT and always have. I did add old fashion rolled oats to their diet to help add some weight in them. Used to do the same thing when I raised rabbits too but I’m giving them a very limited amount. Almost like a fattening treat not a part of their meals.

Are my girls okay? Is there anything else I should prepare for as they get older?

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Thu Oct 14, 2021 9:00 pm

They're really not old enough to be losing weight because of their age. But since you're seeing thinning hair, I'd give them a good vitamin C supplement and see if that helps.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Oct 14, 2021 11:01 pm

You might want to read this general advice on aging. It may be helpful in the future:
http://jpgpr.guinealynx.info/jpgpr400.html

kailaeve1271

Post   » Fri Oct 15, 2021 2:48 am

Thank you! Just read through everything and I will definitely try the vitamin C. Hopefully that helps them. They’re still super active and eat a lot so I don’t think they’re sick, but they hides these things so well.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Sat Oct 23, 2021 7:21 pm

Ditto the advice you've received.

There's a difference between losing weight and age-related body shape changes. 5 is a little young for what you're describing, but not unheard of, especially if they're fancy-coated pigs.

Losing weight is a separate (and more serious) matter. Weigh regularly and if you're seeing actual weight loss, a cavy-knowledgeable vet trip is in order.

Do you have an exotics vet you have confidence in?

I want to say there is someone down there other board members have seen, Columbus or maybe near Newnan, but I can't remember who it is. Hopefully someone else does. If you are able to come up to metro Atlanta, we'll have a couple other recommendations for you.

All that said, don't panic (yet 😉). Do what you're doing, and weigh regularly.

https://www.guinealynx.info/weigh.html