Mavis - Currently having a stroke/heart attack?

Tofu

Post   » Wed Sep 29, 2021 12:27 pm

Unfortunately Mavis is not having a great day today, she is not very interested in food or water and is just laying in her twigloo on top of a heating pad. I am struggling to decide if I should be aggressive here with force feeding food and water or deciding to throw in the towel. Wish she could talk to me and tell me what she wants.

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Wed Sep 29, 2021 12:48 pm

That's a difficult decision and I empathize with you. I went through a similar situation just two weeks ago after I had been syringe feeding on and off for a month. Quality of life and the potential for her recovery were the deciding factors for me. I wish you all the best.

Tofu

Post   » Wed Sep 29, 2021 1:55 pm

I've forced some water into her a couple times today and that was pretty stressful, for both her and me. I am, sadly, an experienced force feeder so I could do that if I needed to...just not sure it is worth the stress. She is eating a tiny amount of veg, and once I am out of work I'm going to hit the store and try to buy a few special treats for her to see if that might tempt her. I think as long as she is acting alert and eating (even if its only a little), then I don't think she's ready to go. I really honestly do not know what her potential for recovery is.

She will be 7 and a half next month and this past year has been mostly great days for her. I know I have probably done as much as I can but I always always feel like there must be *something* left to do. The last days are always the hardest.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Sep 29, 2021 9:46 pm

Do be careful using a heating pad. I know there are all kinds of warnings for humans that they should not fall asleep on one, for example, because there can be burns. Though you likely are using safe techniques I want to make sure other readers who are looking for advice are aware of safety issues.

Sending good wishes your way.

Tofu

Post   » Sun Oct 03, 2021 1:29 pm

Unfortunately Mavis was put to sleep on Thursday morning. She wasn't improving and it felt like it was her time. The pig cage is much quieter this weekend. :(

By the way, here's the heating pad I use and highly recommend: https://smile.amazon.com/Pet-Products-1 ... 07HML9QJ5/ Only gets to be about guinea pig body temp, it is on all the time and sits under several layers of towel and fleece. I put it in the cage a year ago when Mavis was first diagnosed with CHF, but I'll probably leave it in there since my other pigs love it and they all take turns laying on and next to where it's sitting.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Oct 03, 2021 1:42 pm

Oh, I am so sorry, Tofu. I know you will miss her.

It sounds like your heating pad setup was perfect. I am sure she appreciated it as her health deteriorated.

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Sun Oct 03, 2021 4:40 pm

My sympathy, Tofu. I'm sure you miss her. Take comfort in knowing you provided a loving home and a good life for her. She had the best of care.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sun Oct 03, 2021 8:49 pm

Tofu, I'm so sorry you lost Mavis. She had a wonderful life with you.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Fri Oct 08, 2021 7:58 pm

I'm so sorry about Mavis.

mmeadow
Supporter 2004-2022

Post   » Sat Oct 09, 2021 4:16 pm

I'm sorry.