Blood spots on Lacey’s bedding

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Jul 18, 2021 6:29 pm

That is absolutely great news! I wonder what worked/changed? I am sure your hand feeding and diligence was a big factor.

The mass on her right side, were there any unusually large poops? We had a very rare case of a hairball. There are concoctions to help dissolve it in rabbits (much more common). They did not prescribe a motility drug, correct?

Anyway, I hope you gain some understanding that helps in the future. I know how much you care about her!

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Sun Jul 18, 2021 9:28 pm

I don’t know what turned things around. She didn’t get any motility meds. Hand feeding definitely helped, since she was not eating or drinking. I did warm pads and tummy massages until I could hear digestive sounds and she always pooped when she got back in her cage. None were large, and the vet found no sign of pain when she palpated Lacey’s abdomen.

I have more than 10 days of Albon, and I’m going to continue that until it’s gone. They offered an additional 10 days, so I’ll see. I don’t know how much it helped, but she started to feel better at day 6.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Mon Jul 19, 2021 12:08 pm

Yay!!

Waddles
Party Poop-er

Post   » Mon Jul 19, 2021 5:02 pm

Glad to hear the good news!

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Wed Aug 18, 2021 12:10 am

Can anyone weigh in on gripe water and simethicone for gas? I noticed last night that Lacey's tummy was rounder and felt like there was some gas. This is the second time I've noticed this, so I looked online and found conflicting information.

I seem to remember conversations about simethicone bringing gas bubbles together and making it more difficult to pass. Others used gripe water. So I picked up some gripe water and tried 0.2 ml every few hours with tummy massages more frequently. I notice the gripe water contains sodium bicarbonate. I'm not seeing an improvement.

I contacted the vet this morning, but they don't recommend anything over the counter. They also don't want to administer motility meds since she's eating, drinking, and output is pretty good. She has an appetite but I'm just concerned.

I stopped all fresh foods last night so she just has hay, a small amount of pellets, and some CC watered down for hydration.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Aug 18, 2021 9:37 am

You might email Sef on the cons (I think she experienced some cons). There's a link to Bugs Mom's massage tips on the emergency page. Vibration can help. The simethicone seems to help some guinea pigs.
https://www.guinealynx.info/emergency.html#bloat

It is possible some of my off-site links will not work. I strive to keep Guinea Lynx links live but things change everywhere else!

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Thu Aug 26, 2021 10:51 pm

Lacey made a trip to a new vet clinic today. She's been off her hay and pellets for a few days, output is way down, and I'm exhausted syringing CC and water. Her weight is dropping, she's lethargic. So I called my usual clinic again and they referred me since the exotic vet isn't in until Saturday.

Today's vet was very knowledgeable, collect a ton of info on new patients, and they do a thorough check-up. X-rays revealed a large gas bubble on her right side, but nothing notable as far as stones or any skeletal issues. They drew urine but it was thick, so she may have a bladder cyst. They'll test what they have and see what they can find. They also took blood but couldn't get enough for a panel to test kidneys, etc., so they'll try again next week at our follow up.

We got some metacam for pain and discomfort, and the vet recommended 1.0 ml of simethicone every 8 hours for gas. I asked about gripe water, they don't recommend it because they don't think it does anything. So I picked up simethicone, and then called to verify the dosage. She said it's on the high end and I could start lower if I felt more comfortable with that. So I'm giving 0.3 ml every 4 hours to see if it helps.

Her tummy is softer and not so plump, but she's really tired out tonight. We were at the clinic for about 3 hours and they had to give her a little whiff of gas for the x-rays. Just hoping for the best and trying to get more food into her.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Fri Aug 27, 2021 8:50 am

Oh, poor Lacey. I'm so sorry to hear that she's still not herself, ItsaZoo. Yikes on 1.0ml of simethicone. As you know, I've had several bad experiences with it myself, so I would definitely advocate starting with the lowest possible effective dose---and discontinue if you notice that it makes her even more uncomfortable. See:
https://www.guinealynx.info/motility.html#simethicone

Glad to hear no stones, at least. I'll be curious to hear the results of her urinalysis. Are you noticing any sludge on her bedding?

Sending good thoughts your way...

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Fri Aug 27, 2021 10:29 am

Hoping for some improvement in the next few days.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Aug 28, 2021 12:12 am

I am sorry to hear Lacy is ill! It sounds like you found a very good and thorough vet. Hand feeding can definitely be exhausting.

Wishing for the best for her.

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Sat Aug 28, 2021 2:09 am

Thanks for all the well wishes. I am seeing some powdery spots on her bedding but not actual sludge. I'm wondering if this is from the calcium in the CC, which is replacing her hay, or if she is dehydrated. I syringed water but I don't know if that's enough.

The gas drops seem to help and I'm staying below the 1 ml dosage. She's not so puffy but still seems to have a bubble on the right side.

She drank a little water last night and picked at her hay. This morning her output was improved so I had high hopes. But most of the day she just sits in one place, not interested in eating or drinking. So it was another CC day. She was pretty sick of me tonight and wouldn't take the CC, so I mixed it with more water and tried a 1 ml syringe. She liked that and took it easily.

I haven't gotten test results from the vet yet. Someone from the clinic called to see how things were going, but she wasn't a tech so I couldn't get any info. She said the vet would be getting back to me.

Tonight she ate some pellets, and she's still interested in corn husks but she just kind of burrows in the hay. I don't know how much she actually eats. And sometimes she rolls the food around in her mouth like she's got some caught, then she starts chewing and she's fine. The vet wants to check her teeth anyway so that will be part of the follow up appointment.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Sat Aug 28, 2021 9:37 am

I was just going to ask if her teeth have ever been checked. With what you describe, it's certainly something I would want to rule out at the next visit. Many GI issues are related to dental problems.

Sending more good thoughts your way...