The 3 (new) little piggies

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Thu Apr 08, 2021 5:22 pm

I'm so sorry about Oreo. You have my condolences, Renonvsparky. He was indeed a very special little guy who had a wonderful life with you. Such a nice tribute to him. Take care of yourself.

Renonvsparky

Post   » Fri May 07, 2021 4:40 am

There was a minor 4.8 earthquake here this evening. It affected Gilligan the most. It took him the longest to calm down. When I went in to check on him he ran to the front of his cage wheeking his head off. He usually wheeks when I come in, but does it from the back of the cage and waits until I approach to come out. He also climbed up my arm rather than going to his usual corner to get picked up. He snuggled under my chin and squeaked in protest for a minute or two before he calmed down and wanted back in his cage.

We get minor earthquakes from time to time, but the fault system that runs under us isn't anything close to what's under California. I know most pets don't react well to earthquakes and while they do upset the boys, none as much as Gilligan.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri May 07, 2021 7:52 am

Not many earthquakes here! I can understand Gilligan being upset. Nice to know he trusts you enough to know who to go to for comfort.

Renonvsparky

Post   » Sat May 08, 2021 7:44 pm

I've invested a ton of my time and energy into these guinea pigs. I don't regret one single second of it. It's times like this when I get a return on that investment. There's nothing more satisfying than getting to watch them go from being scared little creatures to fully trusting, loving companions.

mmeadow
Supporter 2004-2022

Post   » Sat May 08, 2021 10:17 pm

Just catching up and read about Oreo--very sorry.

Renonvsparky

Post   » Mon Aug 16, 2021 9:35 pm

Finally got some of the piggies out in the lush grass. Oreo and BJ would have loved this. Gilligan and Skipper sure enjoyed it.

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Tue Aug 17, 2021 11:42 pm

That looks wonderful! We're in a drought and grass is rare. Lucky little piggies.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Aug 18, 2021 9:40 am

What I imagine you doing is setting up a movable/mobile cabana so you can relax in a chair and share the vast greenness with the guinea pigs!

Renonvsparky

Post   » Wed Aug 18, 2021 2:41 pm

I have some pest control to do before I can do that. Starting with the 6 foot black rat snake in the barn. Short stays outside, away from the barn of 15-20 minutes once or twice a week with me standing watch over one or two piggies at a time are fine for now and not for the little ones. Until I address that problem and figure out a solid overhead protection, they'll be relegated to me picking the grass and bringing it in to them.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Aug 18, 2021 9:13 pm

Black rat snakes are generally good snakes to have around (they will eat mice and rats). An unattended guinea pig unfortunately would also make a meal. My chickens have not had problems with the black rat snakes but I did have one that "ate" a fake egg (much to his/her regret).

Hardware cloth is great for predator protection.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Wed Aug 18, 2021 11:00 pm

Awful story: our Clemmie was living at the Wild Bird Sanctuary, for some reason. A snake also lived there & got loose and ate Clemmie's cage mate.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Aug 19, 2021 4:53 pm

That had to have been traumatic. Hugs to Clemmie!