Strange diet - Please advise

Ictus123

Post   » Tue May 18, 2021 12:56 pm

I got a 5 y.o. boar [Tommy] at a rescue to replace my late Clifford. Henry, my 4 1/2 y.o. survives. He has special diet that addresses his getting bladder sludge, etc. and has done perfectly for three years with his rounded diet.
They are exactly the same weight. I introduced them last week and it hasn't gone well, so they live side by side in a long tray divided in two sections. And since Tommy's diet is so unusual, it's best they stay close but not mixed together.
Tommy, according the former owner's notes only eats Romaine lettuce and celery. He eats unlimited Timothy hay and orchard grass. No water, no pellets and nothing else. I've tried carrots, sweet red pepper, parsley, cucumber, carrot tops. I may try kale and spinach. He formerly lived with two other pigs where they likely had unlimited access to those four above mentioned.
How can I supplement his diet? Syringe him a vitamin solution diluted? He doesn't drink water! Or is what he eats rounded enough. His eyes are very slightly crusty.
I'm stumped.

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Tue May 18, 2021 3:52 pm

Tommy’s diet does not sound healthy. Romaine can cause stones in some pigs that are prone to them. Celery can also be a problem due to higher calcium levels, but also a choking risk from the long fibers. Kale and spinach are also on the high side for calcium. Pellets would provide appropriate nutrients, but he probably needs vitamin C, which can be liquid or a wafer.

The crusty eyes would concern me. A newly adopted guinea pig should be quarantined for 3 weeks before meeting any other guinea pig in the household. That way, if there is an illness like an upper respiratory infection, or mites, you’re not spreading the problem to your pig.

I would consult an exotic vet for a checkup and start providing water and vitamin C.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue May 18, 2021 10:11 pm

Ditto ItsaZoo. I don't think his diet sounds healthy either. The crusty eyes worry me too.

Consider soaking a handful of hay in water for an hour or so, shake it out and offer it to him on a plate. Whatever is not eaten in a couple hours, discard (you don't want it getting moldy). If you find he likes this (many pigs do), you may be able to start slipping other very finely sliced foods with it. You could also take part of a romaine leaf and chop it finely, adding new vegs also finely chopped on top.

The crust eyes must be addressed first. Vitamin C is a very good suggestion. I doubt he gets enough from the romaine and celery.
https://www.guinealynx.info/scurvy.html

Ictus123

Post   » Sat May 22, 2021 8:52 am

I've started using a liquid Vitamin C on wet greens to address that deficiency. I'm sprinkling Potassium Citrate on them as well. Lots of Timothy and Orchard grass. More red and green lettuce than Romaine. Celery finely cut. May try Oxbow pellets mashed on greens. Tommy has only been here for a week.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat May 22, 2021 9:40 pm

What do his poops look like? It sounds like you have made some great changes to his diet. I hope it helps.

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Sun May 23, 2021 12:05 am

Sounds like an improvement, keep us posted on how it works out.

Ictus123

Post   » Sun May 23, 2021 9:52 pm

His eyes still get a bit of what look and feel like dried tears in both eyes. Poops are perfect, Goldilocks would agree. He acts and looks younger than the documented age.

Ictus123

Post   » Wed May 26, 2021 10:25 am

Tommy is beginning to eat Timothy based pellets. I syringe him water before tucking in to the pellets. Will monitor weight.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed May 26, 2021 10:28 pm

That is good new! A good quality timothy pellet is a little like a daily vitamin (they add specific vitamins and minerals to guinea pig pellets) besides being a food.