My piggy barely eats after antibiotics.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Mon May 17, 2021 2:06 am

Does he love alone or have a cage mate? It looks to me like a tooth mark. I might be wrong but that is what it looks like to me. I would bathe it in warm water 1 part salt and 99 part water, just use a cotton bud and dab the area and keep an eye on it until you see the vet! Good luck Harry.

Peanutpiggy

Post   » Mon May 17, 2021 2:09 am

Hi Daisymay, thank you for your comment. He lives alone. There is another piggy but he doesn't live in the same cage. But if have to suspect, he may have bitten or got into a fight when I was sunbathing them together outside in a same box. :(

Thanks for your tip and wishes!

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Mon May 17, 2021 8:10 am

I'd treat it twice a day with an antifungal cream, available at any pharmacy. If it doesn't get better in a week, switch to a triple antibiotic cream. In either case, apply sparingly with a q-tip and rub it in well.

FYI, you shouldn't remove scabs. They're there to protect the wound underneath, and will come off naturally when the skin underneath is healed.

Peanutpiggy

Post   » Mon May 17, 2021 1:28 pm

Hi Bpatters, thank you for your comment.
I will be able to take him to a vet this afternoon.

I know I shouldn’t have touched the scab. I thought it was tick or something that needs to be removed :(

Thank you for your advice!

Peanutpiggy

Post   » Tue May 18, 2021 2:43 pm

Hi all,

I visited the vet yesterday and she suggested using anti-fungal cream(Tolnaftate 1%) that I have at home for few days to see if it gets better. If not, she recommended using a topical cream called Revolution (I don't have details on the product but I'm guessing this :https://www.walmartpetrx.com/p-1902-rev ... lsrc=aw.ds)

I also asked if Harry needs to have another course of antibiotics for his URI as I hear his breathing or wheeking are not 100%. He still eats, poops well though. She prescribed him SMZ/TMP for the next 2 weeks.

Any thoughts or comments are highly appreciated.

Thank you.

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Tue May 18, 2021 3:38 pm

Are you sure she recommended Revolution? That’s a topical treatment used for heart worm and flea prevention in cats and dogs. Unless she thinks there may be mites that caused the injury. But usually mites cause general itching and a V-shaped pattern of hair loss on the back from chewing to relieve the itching.

I hope the meds help Harry breathe better.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Tue May 18, 2021 4:43 pm

Becareful of over use of antibiotics as our Jill now suffers with mushy poops even though on Probiotic and poop soup! If using Revolution get the pink one for puppies and kittens. Hoping all goes well. Come on Harry!

Peanutpiggy

Post   » Tue May 18, 2021 9:24 pm

Hi ItsaZoo and Daisymay,

Thanks for your comments. I am not sure what exactly my vet recommended but I will get more info once I call her if I decided to need another topical treatment. The scab seems to get better. It is showing less red more dark brown, getting hardened, the area seems not growing.

For URI issues, I'm also trying not to overuse it. I picked up Acidophilus tablets over the counter at a grocery store and ground into powder, sprinkled on veggies. Harry doesn't seem to have any issues with the antibiotics so far as he is eating well and pooing normally.

Thanks for the wishes.
I will keep you posted!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue May 18, 2021 9:40 pm

I am guessing many over the counter human antifungal medications should be safe and effective if this is a fungus. She suggested Revolution to cover her bases. So try the antifungal first and the antiparasitic (Revolution) if you see signs it might be mites.

As has been pointed out, a fungus is the more likely.
https://www.guinealynx.info/fungus.html

Peanutpiggy

Post   » Wed Aug 04, 2021 5:10 pm

Hi! I just saw the comment, thank you so much for the info. Harry is doing well. His scab healed and happy.

Another thing I want to ask is if there is a way for Harry to eat more vitamin C.
I feed him mini sweet bell peppers (usually yellow and red), chopped. But lately, he is not a fan of them.
So I give him a vitamin C tablet from Amazon, and tangerines. I wonder if there is any other veggies for vitamin C?
Thank you in advance.
Hope everyone is safe and well.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Aug 04, 2021 10:23 pm

The peppers are a great choice. Fresh greens in general should have some vitamin C. And fresh, high quality guinea pig pellets will have vitamin C in them too. Giving a tablet from Amazon is a good idea. There are also drops that can be put on anything he scarfs up. I would look at vegetables as a source rather than fruits like tangerines.

There is a sortable chart here:
https://www.guinealynx.info/chart.html

Peanutpiggy

Post   » Sat Oct 09, 2021 5:05 pm

Hi. Hope everyone is well.

My pig, Harry has been going through URI issues again in late June and the last two weeks (late September). Each time the vet prescribed him SMZ.
His symptom is getting milky discharges around his eyes. I often see him one eye shut when it is bad - usually, the eye that has lots of discharges on it. I also use MicrocynAH (eye and ear wash) for cleaning his eyes.

He recovered fine in July after 2 weeks of SMZ but this time, it seems the symptoms are not clearing up. Some days are better than others but this time it is taking way longer than usual for him to recover. I talked to the vet and he suggested doing nasal cleaning. I wonder if anyone has done it for their piggy? Is it painful? :( The bill would cost around ~$200. I would do anything to help my pig to get better and say goodbye to this chronic URI.

I even switched to giving orchard hay which has less dust than timothy hay. And I spray a small amount of water (1-3 pumps) when I feed him in order to let the dust not spread.

Any advice would be highly appreciated.
Thanks for reading!