Our girl Cherry has taken ill and has lost some of her appetite

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Feb 18, 2021 12:09 pm

I am hoping for the best for her and hope she can maintain her current weight.

duskern

Post   » Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:04 am

Thx Lynx, so am I :) Right now everything is fine, and she's acting like she's as healthy as every :)

duskern

Post   » Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:51 am

A small status update from me. Something weird has happened. Everything was going great with Cherry, she was eating and healthy. Like a week or two ago I started seeing signs of her not eating like she usually does so I took her to the vet. They did x-rays and examined her and found out that her last front tooth in the lower part of her mouth needed to be removed exactly like the first one. They said that they couldn't see any problems from the first tooth that she had removed.

We had it removed and are now giving her CC as she's not really eating anything yet. Suddenly we started to smell pus from her again so I took her to the vet for an examination again yesterday. Turns out that the scar she had under her chin that used to leak pus has now started to leak pus again. A bit of history about it. It's a scar from opening her up to be able to clean the root channel, when she had the first tooth removed.

Our vet is a bit perplexed, as the root channel for the two removed front teeth shouldn't be connected. I don't know what to think. Everything was finally going so good with Cherry, and now this :(

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:23 pm

Darn it, she must have had a underlying infection that never really cleared up. This has to be so frustrating for you. I hope you and your vet can get her back on the mend.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Apr 13, 2021 5:46 pm

I strongly hope she is able to adapt to not having those incisors. Let us know how she does.

duskern

Post   » Wed Apr 14, 2021 3:36 pm

I feel that she should be able to adapt to not having the incisors. We have tried several times that she has stopped eating when having problems with her teeth, where I've helped her get some food by cutting things into long spaghetti like pieces. That have seemed to work in the past, so I hope that's something she can get used to now.

I actually don't understand what the problem with the second tooth is. The original infection seemed to go away after a very hard treatment with Zitromax. We have had no problems with pus for months. No signs of illness. She was eating really good as well. I just don't understand where this comes from, since the original infection + wound, seemed to had healed shortly after the Zitromax treatment. I fear what this may lead to, and I have no idea how to actually make sure that everything is in order.

We are really frustrated about this, so any ideas or input is welcome. She's currently on Loxicom and Baytril. I fear if the Baytril can't take care of this infection there might be no hope for her, since she almost died from 5 days of treatment with Zitromax. She really didn't take it well, and stopped eating completely.

Right now we are seeing some small signs of her getting better though. She seems more and more interested in food for each day, but it's hard for her to eat anything because of the missing teeth.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:22 pm

I wish I had some ideas for you. I also hope she is able to adapt to not having the incisors. I'm encouraged that you are seeing some improvement.

duskern

Post   » Sat May 01, 2021 8:32 am

A small update from me. Have not had the energy to post anything these past couple of weeks. Cherry has been feeling better. We have not yet seen any signs of further infection since the wound on her neck has closed. We have stopped with medication as well. We initially gave her a lot of CC + FP but have stopped that as well, as it seems she is actually eating ok on her own. It seems she is getting better and better at eating without the incisors, so as long as I cut her food into thin spaghetti like pieces, she is actually capable at eating. It's not uncommon for her to eat half a carrot cut like this, which is very similar to what she used to eat before losing the incisors.

Her weight seems to have stabilized, but have gone down a bit the last couple of days. I've noticed that her droppings have been really mushy. I'm not sure why this is happening all of a sudden, but she seems ok. Still a bit worried about that.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat May 01, 2021 10:07 am

I am very encouraged by your update that describes how she's able to manage without the incisors! I hope the mushy droppings resolve on their own. Does she also eat hay? Have there been any food changes you might associate the softer droppings with? Not rereading, but how were her droppings while she had the infection?

duskern

Post   » Sun May 02, 2021 8:08 am

She still eats pellets and hay. Nothing seems to be wrong with actually. The droppings were pretty normal, although a bit smaller I think. After that they were pretty normal in size and consistency. It's just the last 3 days or so that she has had softer droppings. We put her on the scales again today, and she has had a further drop in weight, now down to around 930g. I've removed all vegetables from her diet until we get this under control, so it's just hay, pellets and FP + some CC.

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Sun May 02, 2021 11:18 pm

It sounds like things have improved and she's figuring out how to eat with the missing incisors. It's very possible the veggies are giving her softer droppings, so backing off on those for a while is the right thing to do. Hoping she continues to improve and gets a little weight back.

duskern

Post   » Sun May 23, 2021 10:36 am

So right now Cherry is on some kind of antibiotic that are designed for cats, to hopefully, take care of an infection of some sort in her respiratory system that she has been battling after the bloat. We are still very cautious about giving her too much CC as the vet mentioned that it wasn't necessarily a good thing. Right now she is getting 5ml every 4 hours. She has lost some weight, down to 825g so I'm a bit worried. I'm not sure what to do, if I should increase the CC or just wait and see, or maybe increase the interval to 5ml every 3 hours. She's not eating on her own right now, but I think that's because of the antibiotics she was given. It's pretty normal for Cherry to stop eating when she's on that kind of medication.

Any suggestions?

Also, how important is it to give Cherry water when she's only getting CC? I mean CC contains a lot of water in itself when mixed, but should I also give her something on the side? And if so, isn't there a real danger of getting water in the wrong tube when giving it in a syringe, since it's so fluid?