Cinnamon’s medical thread

Mapleowl18
Supporter in '11

Post   » Fri Apr 30, 2021 7:00 am

I haven’t posted in a while.

Cinnamon, female, who is 6+ has been having problems with bladder sludge for a while now.

The garden adult guinea pig pellets from oxbow really seemed to help with that. However, within the last week she’s started getting a wet bum. Basically we’re she pees. I was going to give her a bum bath with a piggy safe shampoo, to help clear it up. Is there any other recommended treatment? I didn’t feel I needed to take her to the vet because she’s just getting old. Does this make sense. I lost her Aunt/mom on the operating table for bladder stones so I’ve been managing it through diet.

She’s eating fine, arguing with her cage mate, sassy as always, scolding her human for being late with the vegetables. Her weight has been constant at 1060 grams.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Apr 30, 2021 9:57 am

It may be you will get some ideas from rereading posts on interstitial cystitis.
https://www.guinealynx.info/records/view ... p?f=3&t=21

I am thinking she has sludge in her bladder that is collecting and not moving through quickly enough. Perhaps extra exercise? Some vibration of her bladder to suspend sludge? And extra fluids to help it move through?

Do you have a living setup where you can evaluate sludge? Do you see pasty deposits?

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Fri Apr 30, 2021 1:10 pm

Could arthritis be causing her to sit in her pee? I think I got this from one of our vets - older gp's tend to sit back on their haunches to take pressure off arthritic front legs.

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Fri Apr 30, 2021 4:24 pm

Do you have any absorbent towels or pads that you could use where she sits? Mine likes the white polishing cloths in the auto department at the Dollar Tree. They are very absorbent to get the moisture away from her skin. I would also think coconut oil on her bum would provide a little bit of a barrier to prevent skin irritation.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Apr 30, 2021 10:50 pm

I didn't think of arthritis but very possible.

Mapleowl18
Supporter in '11

Post   » Sat May 01, 2021 7:40 am

The arthritis makes sense. She’s been getting slow and sitting a lot. She does have a zoomy little cage mate to keep her moving. And they live in a 2X7 cage. I’ve been putting piggie pads from cavy cages in her spots but I could definitely use some new ones.

Mapleowl18
Supporter in '11

Post   » Sat May 01, 2021 10:33 am

One of the water bottles is also leaky so I’m replacing both today.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat May 01, 2021 9:49 pm

Yes, getting rid of any added sources of water is a good idea. I hate when water bottles leak.